The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Is there any way to check if I've somehow lost the developer preview OS on my phone? Cortana has completely disappeared and I'm wondering if I accidentally "lost" the Developer Preview somehow? No tile, no service, no app, no Cortana search screen, nothing. Everything's gone.
    09-21-2014 09:07 AM
    Is there any way to check if I've somehow lost the developer preview OS on my phone? Cortana has completely disappeared and I'm wondering if I accidentally "lost" the Developer Preview somehow? No tile, no service, no app, no Cortana search screen, nothing. Everything's gone.
    do you have the developer app installed? If so did you check the regional and language settings if they are all on US or UK?
    09-21-2014 10:49 AM
    Recheck your region setting and GPS
    09-21-2014 10:55 AM
    do you have the developer app installed? If so did you check the regional and language settings if they are all on US or UK?
    The developer app is definitely installed. Any way to check in phone info what version I'm supposed to have or something that definitively shows that you have the preview running?
    Recheck your region setting and GPS
    All settings are on US English. Just tried also with UK English. It's simply not coming back. I don't understand.

One other thing i noticed... The extras+info option in settings just closes out to settings again when selected. Is that normal?
    Last edited by tpapictures; 09-21-2014 at 02:54 PM.
    09-21-2014 11:03 AM
    Just tried again going back to full US, full UK twice. No luck, Cortana never appears. Has ANYone seen this? Really curious how this could be happening. Also, that extras+info thing is weird, no?
    09-21-2014 04:21 PM
    One other thing i noticed... The extras+info option in settings just closes out to settings again when selected. Is that normal?
    That right there says try a soft reset.
    09-21-2014 04:24 PM
    Do you happen to have the button presses for that? Not seeing it in my manual.
    09-21-2014 04:43 PM
    Do you happen to have the button presses for that? Not seeing it in my manual.
    Power + Vol Down, and keep holding it until a vibration :)
    09-21-2014 04:46 PM
    To get cortana make sure you downloaded the American language pack and make sure American language is above English language for it to work
    09-21-2014 04:49 PM
    To get cortana make sure you downloaded the American language pack and make sure American language is above English language for it to work

Yes, I've already taken care of all of that. Thanks.
    09-21-2014 05:36 PM
    Power + Vol Down, and keep holding it until a vibration :)
    Thanks, that doesn't seem to be making Cortana show up.
    09-21-2014 05:49 PM
    Have you checked for BO, some women just won't put up with it .....

Sorry about that, just trying to get to 200 posts quickly

Bob
    09-21-2014 05:55 PM
    Nothing working still.I can't get past the extras+info problem but I bet that has something to do with the Cortana issue. If I hard reset what happens to my developer preview installation? Do I have to start again? Can I?
    09-21-2014 06:16 PM
    Nothing working still.I can't get past the extras+info problem but I bet that has something to do with the Cortana issue. If I hard reset what happens to my developer preview installation? Do I have to start again? Can I?
    Hard reset does not get rid of DP 8.1. Afterwards make sure that you reinstall and activate dev preview app
    09-21-2014 06:43 PM
    And I lose everything I've created, right? Photos, videos, etc? I should back those all up but the homescreen tiles and apps will all self install if I back them up before starting?
    09-21-2014 06:53 PM
    And I lose everything I've created, right? Photos, videos, etc? I should back those all up but the homescreen tiles and apps will all self install if I back them up before starting?
    Back up photos/videos to OneDrive. You can also back up apps to Microsoft in settings. I take a screen shot of my start screen and send that to OneDrive as well so I can set it up the same way. You may want to restore without using backup,however, to start with a clean slate.
    tpapictures likes this.
    09-21-2014 07:04 PM
    Back up photos/videos to OneDrive. You can also back up apps to Microsoft in settings. I take a screen shot of my start screen and send that to OneDrive as well so I can set it up the same way. You may want to restore without using backup,however, to start with a clean slate.
    Thank you for the concise and direct help. I can't be bothered to get all my apps one by one again. So, I'll just do the restore. My biggest concern is my contacts, texts, and app info. I'll take the photos off via USB, I don't want any compression from OneDrive uploads. I guess I can access the hard reset from within the phone.
    09-21-2014 07:14 PM
    Good luck!
    09-22-2014 06:47 AM
    Did a hard reset and everything is back as it should be. I guess a bad update here or there may have caused a problem.
    SpaceyO likes this.
    09-22-2014 06:51 AM
    Did a hard reset and everything is back as it should be. I guess a bad update here or there may have caused a problem.
    That's great!
    09-22-2014 06:43 PM