Cortana is muted

Borenovic

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been very happy with the Cortana features after my Lumia 920 was updated to Windows 8.1. But after I used Cortana with my Bluetooth headset, she's muted. I give her a voice command without the Bluetooth and she responds well, but she doesn't pronounce the response, just displays the answer on screen. Any idea how to get her to talk again?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried a soft reset yet?

Hold volume down and power button until the phone vibrates. The phone will restart. No data is erased.

Just out of curiosity, is Bluetooth still on?

Borenovic

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Bluetooth is off. I tried it both with on and off. I also tried soft reset a couple of times. The worst part is that my dog chewed up my headset (I love my dog to death), so I don't know if Cortana "speaks" at all now, or just refuses when there is no headset connected. I also wanted to reinstall Cortana, but that's not possible apparently (only option is to pin or not to pin her to start screen).

Last edited:

Borenovic

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for trying to help, but that's not the issue. What I just remembered is that the last time I heard her speak was when she told me I got a text while listening to the music and asked if I wanted her to read it. I had my Bluetooth headset on at the time, and tried telling her to read. She didn't get it and repeated the question. I just clicked the middle button on the headset to continue playing the music. After that she went mute. Poor girl.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Last thing to suggest.

I did a search on the forum and one person had their camera sounds muted but then turned them on and Cortana started working correctly again. No idea if that would work in this situation.

The other thing is trying turning on flight mode and restarting the phone and turning it off when it restarts.

I'll also assume you checked all the settings in Cortana?

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you check the check box under Bluetooth settings. I had a Similar situation. It bothered me a lot cause I couldn't use Cortana in the car. I had already tried a hard reset. Then I realized the advanced setting was not checked. It was a duh moment.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you check the check box under Bluetooth settings. I had a Similar situation. It bothered me a lot cause I couldn't use Cortana in the car. I had already tried a hard reset. Then I realized the advanced setting was not checked. It was a duh moment.

You mean the 'Use alternative..... Speech' check box?

I find it fascinating how little things like this screw up Cortana...

Borenovic

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Nothing seems to be working so far. I tried playing with Quiet Hours in Cortana, as I got desperate and had to change something, but she's one cold lady.

SyntacticSyntax

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey! I have the same problem! No animation sounds like when she's searching something. Cortana doesn't speak. Even I'm making her do an impression but lol... I can only see the text but not hear it. Check all the volumes. Tried soft reset. Nothing works. Don't want to hard reset since I will need to download ****-ton of installed apps for 1 problem.

zdravez

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I think, I found a solution.... It seems that different Bluetooth sets identify themselves differently - e.g. Headset or hands free... Etc... Therefore
If you have Cortana set to read messages over Bluetooth only, and your car hands free is recognized as headset - Cortana does not talk... To correct this issue make sure that "Read aloud incoming text messages" setting is set to "Bluetooth and headsets".
To change it:
1. Start Cortana app
2. Hit the horizontal bars icon - top right
3. Select "Speech Settings"
4. Make sure that "Read aloud incoming text messages" is set to "Bluetooth and headsets".

Once set Cortana should start talking to you through ur car stereo again 😊 .... At least she does for me.....

Hope this helps.
Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos