Just got Cortana ....wow but please help

Stephen Bennett1

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi please help gonna mainly use it to add appointments but cant seem to add a finish time got the hang of adding them but when i say start time it defaults to hour length when i wanna say finish time any ideas people please

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think its just a standard feature of using a hour ! you can change the time from the appointment you made in the calendar from there, but not from cortana.. just a feature missing from cortana that hopefully MS will address over time. Cortana really at the present time for reminders only and not fully integrated into the calendar system.

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I just tell Cortana directly what to add to my calendar, the beginning and ending time, and it works fine. Just include the "to" time when you tell her the time of the event, or it will default to 1 hour duration. If you forget, when she verifies the time with you, just say, "no", and specify the beginning and ending time and she will add it as you specified. She will then verify it with you and ask if it's right.

Example: "Cortana, add a breakfast mtg. with Susan to my calendar on Tuesday from 8:45 to 10:15".

* Make sure you speak slowly and enunciate and she gets it right most of the time. If not, she will prompt you by asking what needs to be corrected- the event title or the time. The text will show on your screen for verification.

Last edited:

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nice post ! and learn something new. CHEERS now. found that if I do it in stages for the UK cortana that it will add finish time. And not to bombard her all at once..

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I think its just a standard feature of using a hour ! you can change the time from the appointment you made in the calendar from there, but not from cortana.. just a feature missing from cortana that hopefully MS will address over time. Cortana really at the present time for reminders only and not fully integrated into the calendar system.

Actually you can change calendar entries from Cortana that you entered directly into the calendar. Just tell her you want to change a calendar event and specify the date or title of the event. She will ask if you want to change the title or the time, and verify and enter the changes you specify.

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Nice post ! and learn something new. CHEERS now. found that if I do it in stages for the UK cortana that it will add finish time. And not to bombard her all at once..

You should be able to add it all at once if you specify the time with the "to" or "until" time spoken with the beginning time. I think it just requires a little practice to get used to. Cortana will re-verify every instruction before any calendar event gets added or changed, so there is no danger of incorrect calendar entries unless you erroneously answer "yes" to any incorrect interpretation Cortana makes during verification.

Stephen Bennett1

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
think i may have a problem lol she understands when i add it from cortana as in add appointment tomorrow from 8:30 to 5:30 as it comes up on screen but when she goes to add it and comes on screen it is a completely different finish time so something is up

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
think i may have a problem lol she understands when i add it from cortana as in add appointment tomorrow from 8:30 to 5:30 as it comes up on screen but when she goes to add it and comes on screen it is a completely different finish time so something is up
Are you saying that Cortana accurately displays the times you dictate for an event, but after you verify it is correct (when she asks, "Is that right?"), it is added incorrectly to your calendar? I have never had that happen. On occasion, I have had Cortana "misunderstand" the time I dictated, but when she repeats the entry and asks if it is right, I say, "no", she asks what needs to change, I say, "time", and re-dictate the time range. When she repeats it accurately and asks if it is right, I say, "yes", and it is added to my calendar correctly.

Stephen Bennett2

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah its strangly doing exactly that. Just cant seem to get the hang of it. All I want to do is add a end time to appointment no matter what I do. Changing time before she adds it doesn't seem to help with I think I'm using the "to" or "until" at the wrong moment

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I've only used Cortana for calendar appointments so far but I think it's fantastic. However I have found it works better if you use the 24 hour clock. If you say "4:30" for example it interprets it as 4.30 in the morning, not the afternoon. Using the 24 hour clock I have never had a problem and I have added around 30 appointments so far.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I've only used Cortana for calendar appointments so far but I think it's fantastic. However I have found it works better if you use the 24 hour clock. If you say "4:30" for example it interprets it as 4.30 in the morning, not the afternoon. Using the 24 hour clock I have never had a problem and I have added around 30 appointments so far.

You just have to specify. She understands A.M., P.M., morning, afternoon, evening, and probably other ways of saying which you mean.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks; I know, I just find it easier to use the 24 hour clock.

I just thought it was a little odd that when I was setting an appointment for 4:30 and I was doing that at 2 PM in the afternoon I assumed it would pick up the next available 4:30, i.e. 4:30 in the afternoon, not the next morning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786