Unreasonable rants again from WP owners

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Unreasonable rants has turned into 50 shades of crazy.

Look guys, MS is making a sound business decision offering their products on competing platforms. Those who say the iOS and Android versions are better, I would disagree - based on my usage patterns. But even if it's true, it makes sense to throw in a little extra sauce to make it more appealing. It's no different than companies who make crazy good offers for "new subscribers only". Why not take care of the existing base? Microsoft isn't reinventing the marketing wheel here.

To those who feel betrayed by Microsoft for giving away the features that make your phones unique, grow up. You bought a phone, not a Rembrandt.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That being said, Windows 10 will be the last major version of Windows. After that there will just be rolling releases. While Enterprises may not upgrade right away, I think you can bet that some if not many will upgrade a lot sooner than they did when on XP.

I wonder how Microsoft plans to monetize Windows with rolling releases. Maybe a forced subscription?

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I wonder how Microsoft plans to monetize Windows with rolling releases. Maybe a forced subscription?

From what we know so far, they aren't planning on monetizing Windows anymore. With the exception of Enterprises maybe. Windows is already free for Phones and Tablets. And upgrades for Windows 8 to Windows 10 are rumored to be free (and should be).

They also announced that they will be doing "per user" licensing rather than "per device" licensing...

Microsoft to make per-user Windows licensing available to enterprise customers | ZDNet

anon(9152079)

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
From what we know so far, they aren't planning on monetizing Windows anymore. With the exception of Enterprises maybe. Windows is already free for Phones and Tablets. And upgrades for Windows 8 to Windows 10 are rumored to be free (and should be).
I also suspect that this free upgrade is true seeing by how news are running, and I think it's a good move. Even if it's not going to be free, I'm already happy that my current WP8.1 will be able to upgrade to Win10. They also made .NET open-source and are looking for Linux & Mac and just launched a free version of Visual Studio, this surely will attract new developers and may kill that stupid opinion that Microsoft code is bad.

I also agree with you on MS adding its apps to other platforms just as updated and feature rich as the WP app, this just keeps people using their stuff. (I wish WindUp expanded to iOS & Android, it's way better than Snapchat).

Google on the other hand is looking to go aggressive, everything is Google Play only, Chrome only. I have already stopped using most of their services, only YouTube and Gmail right now and my Gmail hardly receives an email.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Google on the other hand is looking to go aggressive, everything is Google Play only, Chrome only. I have already stopped using most of their services, only YouTube and Gmail right now and my Gmail hardly receives an email.

Haha same here pal. Before, I heavily patronize Google and its,"Don't Do Evil" motto. Lucky for me that I tried out a WP (625) and enjoyed the experience. Although I admit that Elop and Ballmer are half-dicks, the situation is very different now under Satya's 'Muhatma Gandhi'-ish reign. Now, MSoft is ' not doing evil'.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
To those who feel betrayed by Microsoft for giving away the features that make your phones unique, grow up. You bought a phone, not a Rembrandt.

Well, I don't feel betrayed that they give away Office for iPhone and Android. I feel very uncomfortable with the fact that they are able to create those apps and update them constantly to the point that they are superior to their WP counterparts and at the same time leave those WP apps almost unchanged for FOUR YEARS!
In the case of OneNote they even removed at least one feature.

That is a ****ty way to treat your customers.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Which customers? The few on WP or the multi-millions on iOS & Android. To Microsoft, they're customers too. In fact, up until recently they were paying customers. Which squeaky wheel do you suppose is getting the grease?

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
As I said before:
I have no problem with MS making great apps for Android and IOS for free.
But they are not a three people startup. If they don't improve Office for WP for several years, I can call them out on that.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, I don't feel betrayed that they give away Office for iPhone and Android. I feel very uncomfortable with the fact that they are able to create those apps and update them constantly to the point that they are superior to their WP counterparts and at the same time leave those WP apps almost unchanged for FOUR YEARS!
In the case of OneNote they even removed at least one feature.

Actually, having played with Office Mobile on Android recently it's just as ****ty as the four year old WP version with no support for special formatting in documents. At the moment they also have an Office 365 requirement in order to use it for business where it's optional for WP users.

I do hear what you're saying though and do agree with you.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Which customers? The few on WP or the multi-millions on iOS & Android. To Microsoft, they're customers too. In fact, up until recently they were paying customers. Which squeaky wheel do you suppose is getting the grease?

That's exactly what I have a problem with, why should non-WP users get a free ride. Microsoft aren't going to be making any money out of them so what's the motivation to do this in the first place?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what I have a problem with, why should non-WP users get a free ride. Microsoft aren't going to be making any money out of them so what's the motivation to do this in the first place?

To keep them away from Google Docs and iWork.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
To keep them away from Google Docs and iWork.
Correct. 97% of smartphone users don't use WP, and for probably 99% of those Google Docs and iWorks are sufficient. Lack of Office would cause very few to switch to WP.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Just because there are fewer WP customers doesn't make them any less customers so they should be treated the same. It begs the question then, why be a Microsoft customer when they will shaft you when there are fewer of you than another segment of users?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just because there are fewer WP customers doesn't make them any less customers so they should be treated the same. It begs the question then, why be a Microsoft customer when they will shaft you when there are fewer of you than another segment of users?

Whose fault is it that there aren't more WP users? I'll give you a hint - some of the very people on these boards. "Build it and they will come" certainly was not at play here.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

The motivation is to keep those users hooked on Office instead of going to free competitors like Google Docs. By keeping users hooked on Office, they maintain the need and desire for users to pay for a subscription when its required like desktops and laptops. And with unlimited OneDrive storage with Office 365 for $69.99 a year, who can resist?

You guys keep acting like Android and iOS are getting special treatment. They're not.

Instead of continuing to ***** about a few minor differences in features for a limited timeframe, hold your pants on and see what comes with Office Touch, etc. in Windows 10. Then make your judgments.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

First of all, no one is getting shafted here. If that's what you think, then you need to grow up.

Second of all, if you think companies treat all their customers exactly the same, then you are grossly mistaken and completely out of touch with reality.

Companies treat their most valuable customers the best. And then they treat the largest pool of customers. Only when they have resources left over will they equalize the effort for the small, niche user base. That's just hard, cold facts.

My company does this on many levels. Everything from what browsers and devices to support, to which customers get served first and/or best by customer care and sales.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Companies treat their most valuable customers the best. And then they treat the largest pool of customers. Only when they have resources left over will they equalize the effort for the small, niche user base. That's just hard, cold facts.

In addition, ever notice how new customers get all the good deals? If it works for Comcast......

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As I said before:
I have no problem with MS making great apps for Android and IOS for free.
But they are not a three people startup. If they don't improve Office for WP for several years, I can call them out on that.

I'll give another example about how Microsoft values its "good" customers more than the few WP users (and I'm one of them). You think Windows Mobile is dead right? Would it surprise you if I told you that there are WinMo devices getting firmware updates, browser updates, etc. as recently as this month? Well, the enterprise sector is still using the platform and their handsets are still receiving updates. I don't normally do this but here's a link: read 'em and weep.

https://portal.motorolasolutions.co...bile+Computers/Handheld+Computers/ES400_US-EN

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The motivation is to keep those users hooked on Office instead of going to free competitors like Google Docs. By keeping users hooked on Office, they maintain the need and desire for users to pay for a subscription when its required like desktops and laptops. And with unlimited OneDrive storage with Office 365 for $69.99 a year, who can resist?

I would be a perfect example of this. Although I do use WP, my primary devices for both phone and tablet are Android. I use mostly Google's services. But yet I pay for Office 365. I've been on Microsoft's productivity software starting way back with Microsoft Works, sometime around 1998. What I use it for (not including work) Google Docs would be more than sufficient. But since I've always used Microsoft's products, I prefer them and continue to use them. And I have no plans of changing that anytime soon.

However, if I could not access Office from my Android phone & tablet, I'd likely drop it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo