Can Cortana turn off an alarm?

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday, while driving, I had an alarm go off. The phone was in my pocket, so I activated Cortana, via Bluetooth, and said "cancel alarm". She said I did not have one, presumably, because it was now ringing and she was looking for one that was set. I tried 'stop alarm' etc. but no joy.

It would be nice to be able to do this rather than sitting there waiting for the alarm to, finally, stop. Anyone know if this is possible?

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about a ringing alarm condition, but you can have Cortana cancel an alarm by saying "Cancel (alarm name)". It will stop the recurrence of the alarm, though, so you would have to later re-enable the alarm.

I had discovered that when all my alarms were left with the default name of "alarm" that Cortana would ask which one to cancel, even though 2 of the 3 were already disabled. So I deleted the unused ones, and renamed the recurring and active alarm "Weekday Alarm". Now I can tell Cortana to "Cancel Weekday Alarm" and it does.

I just now ran a test, created a "Alarm Test", put on the Bluetooth, and waited for the test alarm to go off. When it did, I activated Cortana, asking her to cancel the "Alarm Test". She responded: "Cancel alarm . . . Okay, for which time?" I said "8:16 AM" She replied, "Sure, cancelling alarm for 8:16." She disabled the alarm, but the alarm condition persisted until I manually dismissed it. So I guess Cortana currently can't stop an occurring alarm condition.

Update: I later considered using the word "dismiss" rather than "cancel" but my subsequent test got the same result: It would again ask for the time of the alarm to be canceled (apparently naming an alarm does not help when there is more than 1 alarm stored) and while it cancelled the alarm it did not stop the alarm condition.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The ReAlarm app handles this and also lets you set alarms based on pretty much any date/time criteria. Third Wednesday every other month, no problem.

Anyway, you can tell it to mute alarms for an amount of time including ones that are sounding at the time. Just say to Cortana: "OK ReAlarm mute for x minutes (or hours), etc.".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb