Why am I not receiving the update for Cortana?

anon(9266791)

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I live in the UK and wasn't expecting Cortana for a bit, but a friend of mine who as got an older Windows phone has got the update and therefore Cortana. It isn't even that I have got the update. I have WiFi so I should get it. What is wrong?!?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello :) your friend probably enrolled his/her phone in the dev preview program MS has provided. By doing that and setting your phone language and region to US you could also unlock Cortana and her full potential. But if you want to stick to your own region (UK) then that's not a problem as cortana is also available for users in the UK. Keep in mind that enrolling will void your warranty

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Only certain phones are enabled for Cortana, I believe only the 730 officially has it but MS are rolling out updates, so hopefully some time this month. Follow this link for Denim/GDR1 rollout: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fwp8-availability-in-europe%2F&token=r0IU7IvR

I signed up for Preview for Developers to get Cortana, that maybe an avenue you may want to explore if you don't want to wait... (officially it can void your warranty, however I've not known any instances where MS/Nokia have blocked a repair).

G.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Is it not out in the UK yet then?

It is, but only on select phones by default, such as the 730/735, however MS are currently rolling out a firmware update with an OS update which will enable Cortana on ALL UK Lumia devices...

That link I gave earlier was the rollout, so keep monitoring it, or your phone will just get the update when it's available.

Also, it seems Carrier Variant (SIM FREE) phones are being updated quicker than locked phones, as it's a firmware update it's up to each carrier to allow the upgrade, EE & Three are usually the slowest, O2 normally the quickest.

G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon