Ways to use Cortana?

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty stoked to be getting the hey Cortana feature in the 1520 once Denim hits here in the US. I really like using Cortana, but I really only use it to send text messages and place calls.

I want to use her more in Denim, but I'm kind of ignorant with what else she can do. What do you use her for? Know of any nifty features she has that may be lesser known?

THANKS!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Aside from having her send texts and make calls, I use her often to set location based reminders. (AKA Geofencing) it works with your "places" (locations)... For example, you can tell her "remind me to delete those files from Mr. Jones when I get to work". Then, once you get within the saved boundry of the "place" you have saved as "work", you'll get the saved reminder "delete those files from Mr. Jones". It really works well, and comes in handy! Other examples; "remind me to take out the trash when I get home", or "remind me to buy eggs next time I'm at the grocery store".
I also use Cortana as my personal DJ. Just tell her to play a certain artist or song. Play, pause, next, etc. she does that pretty good as well!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
She also works very well with regular date/calendar based reminders and appointments. Just tell her what and when you want to save as an appointment.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I use Cortana to open apps...for instance Lumia camera or e-mail.
I also use Cortana as the dialer for phone calls.

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Aside from having her send texts and make calls, I use her often to set location based reminders. (AKA Geofencing) it works with your "places" (locations)... For example, you can tell her "remind me to delete those files from Mr. Jones when I get to work". Then, once you get within the saved boundry of the "place" you have saved as "work", you'll get the saved reminder "delete those files from Mr. Jones". It really works well, and comes in handy! Other examples; "remind me to take out the trash when I get home", or "remind me to buy eggs next time I'm at the grocery store".
I also use Cortana as my personal DJ. Just tell her to play a certain artist or song. Play, pause, next, etc. she does that pretty good as well!
I didn't realize you could set places. I looked but im not seeing where to set them on the phone. 😞

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
If I want a quick nap I ask Cortana to 'wake me up in 20 minutes'. 😊

Or, if I want directions, or the forecast, or whatever really...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep... Be sure to extend Cortana's flexibility and personalization by going through all the categories in that "hamburger" menu. (The 3 horizontal lines in the upper right corner.)

Interests dictate what type and how much information Cortana shows on her live tile, when alerting you and when you open her.
Remind Me are all the tasks you've asked her to remember for you - also inside Remind Me you will see an option to pin this to start as a tile.
Quiet Hours - set your conditions here or in general Settings.
Inner Circle lets you indicate people that are important to you - give them nicknames here for easier interactions: "Cortana, call my wife."
Places allows for geofencing - the more areas you define the better. I've used Remind Me + grocery store, pharmacy, home, in-laws, doctor's office - just add addresses and give 'em nicknames.

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Yep... Be sure to extend Cortana's flexibility and personalization by going through all the categories in that "hamburger" menu. (The 3 horizontal lines in the upper right corner.)

Interests dictate what type and how much information Cortana shows on her live tile, when alerting you and when you open her.
Remind Me are all the tasks you've asked her to remember for you - also inside Remind Me you will see an option to pin this to start as a tile.
Quiet Hours - set your conditions here or in general Settings.
Inner Circle lets you indicate people that are important to you - give them nicknames here for easier interactions: "Cortana, call my wife."
Places allows for geofencing - the more areas you define the better. I've used Remind Me + grocery store, pharmacy, home, in-laws, doctor's office - just add addresses and give 'em nicknames.
Wow. I've been on WP now for two years and never saw the hamburger menu. Thanks so much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb