techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
In Windows Phone you just have to ask her:

Cortana, how is the weather in Rome?

Ah, bla bla bla ?F.

Cortana, convert it to celsius.

And there it is :)

In fact, you dont even have to call out cortana again, I generally use this.

Cortana, Whats the temperature?

Ah, bla bla bla ?F.

in celsius pls.

it works ;)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
When dealing with human anatomy, Fahrenheit makes more sense. There are more tick marks to determine temperature. Especially when dealing with parents of young children, it is easier for doctors to use the "100 Rule." In other words, if the temp is below 100, don't call. That is a lot easier than saying "as long as it is below 37.77778."

The Imperial system is designed to be easier to visualize. The foot the length of your foot. A yard the length of your belt. A cup is the size of, you guessed it, a cup. All of these are designed to be easier to visualize without the need for scientific tools. Kelvin and Celsius are always going to be easier in the lab setting. But moving something "a couple feet" is easier to see than "2/3rds a meter."

I'm not sure what your experience in places that use the metric system is but no one is that precise with temperature, especially when dealing with illness.

The imperial system may seem easier to visualise but you do realise the issues that come with that? There are not that many people who have 12" feet. Not everyone's belt is 36", not all cups are a cup. You get my point?

Using physical means to measure things is fine however that's just guess work. You need real measurements to make things. The metric system makes complete sense and is logically based. Which is why it's becoming the measurement of choice in labs and science. Give it time and the few remaining countries that use the imperial system will switch. There's already an encroachment in the US to metric.

Fahrenheit scale is just ridiculous when you think of it. It has no basis in reality. That's why Celsius is the more popular temperature. Though if you want to get technical, we should all get to Kelvin and be done with it. :p

Threezool

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I solved it by including the conversion in the query itself. Like this:

"Whats the weather in Stockholm in Celsius"

Did the trick for me. =)

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Fahrenheit scale is just ridiculous when you think of it. It has no basis in reality. That's why Celsius is the more popular temperature.
Celius is more simplistic but that doesn't make Fahrenheit ridiculous. It is a more precise measurement of temperature, and when measuring matters such as global warming, when such little change has a huge impact, using Fahrenheit makes more sense. It has its place.

With that said, I will agree that Imperial measurement is a complete arbitrary mess. It makes zero sense. Metric system all the way.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Celius is more simplistic but that doesn't make Fahrenheit ridiculous. It is a more precise measurement of temperature, and when measuring matters such as global warming, when such little change has a huge impact, using Fahrenheit makes more sense. It has its place.

Sorry but why is Fahrenheit more accurate than Celsius..
Is it measured with a different method.
I do not think so (actual I know it's not).
And using a digit does not make Celsius less accurate.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

With that said, I will agree that Imperial measurement is a complete arbitrary mess. It makes zero sense. Metric system all the way.

I know we're veering off topic a touch but can you explain to me why someone would use F over C and not just go straight to Kelvin?

I see no use for F other than for reasons of sticking to an old scale because it's what people are used to. The F scale was adjusted by others to become a 'standard' but that doesn't mean it's any better than C or Kelvin. I don't see how it's more precise than either of those two.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Fahrenheit is pretty good for weather and human body temperature, which is why I doubt Celsius will ever catch on in the American public. It does make more sense in that 0 is **cking cold, and 100 is **cking hot! Whereas the Celsius scale is rather arbitrary for measuring weather.
The rest of the imperial system is entirely useless, though I have heard arguments that the numbers involved in imperial distance measurements (12 inches, 3 feet, etc) are multiples of things(?) and it becomes easier to do mental mathematical calculations. I wouldn't know, but I find it easy to believe that practices using an ancient system have evolved some built in conveniences.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Fahrenheit is pretty good for weather and human body temperature, which is why I doubt Celsius will ever catch on in the American public. It does make more sense in that 0 is **cking cold, and 100 is **cking hot! Whereas the Celsius scale is rather arbitrary for measuring weather.
The rest of the imperial system is entirely useless, though I have heard arguments that the numbers involved in imperial distance measurements (12 inches, 3 feet, etc) are multiples of things(?) and it becomes easier to do mental mathematical calculations. I wouldn't know, but I find it easy to believe that practices using an ancient system have evolved some built in conveniences.

I'm still confused as to why F is better. It's really a matter of what you're used to. I'm used to C. You tell me things in F I haven't a clue what it means. So if F is better than why isn't everyone using F for those things?

The metric system is base 10. It doesn't get much easier than that. The imperial system is base 12, which is messy.

I've read where F came from and I get it but it doesn't feel natural to me.

Xavier2508

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
The metric system is base 10. It doesn't get much easier than that. The imperial system is base 12, which is messy.
Worse, it's base 12 (foot-inch) and 16(pound-ounce), with some oddities thrown in for good measure: 1 mile, aka 5280 foot or 1760 yards versus 1 kilometer, aka 1000 meters, 100 000 centimeters, or 1000 000 millimeters, which one is easier to use?

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

you are just used to Fahrenheit thats it, Celsius is in no way arbitrary.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'll take one more shot at an elaboration. If you still don't get it, I'm out.

I'm still confused as to why F is better. It's really a matter of what you're used to. I'm used to C. You tell me things in F I haven't a clue what it means. So if F is better than why isn't everyone using F for those things?

I've read where F came from and I get it but it doesn't feel natural to me.

Base 10 means very little out of the scientific realm. What matters, in the context that I brought up, is multiples of whole numbers, which are easier to work with. If you're trying to approximate measurements, say for building a house, having whole numbers makes processes significantly easier to remember and visualize, and etc. 12 has multiples of 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12. 10 has multiples 1, 5, and 10. With the imperial system, that's entirely double the chance that your measurements are going to result in a whole, easy to remember, easy to perform mental math on, number. I'm not a mathematician so I cannot explain in simpler or more exact terms how this plays out.

As for temperature, yes, it works because I'm used to it. You're also used to Fahrenheit, though you don't realize it. It's not arbitrary- we deal with numbers similar to Fahrenheit *every* *single* *day* of our lives. Humans like things in scales of 0-100. Humans like things in scales of 0-100 so much they devised an entire imaginary number system that is based around the idea of 0-100, devised a way through which you can convert any number to this system, and gave it a name. We call it: per cent. That's per-100, percent, %. Fahrenheit basically measures the weather by way of 0-100, where those bounds are only exceeded in certain climates at certain times of the year (or during certain extreme weather events). Yes, this means Fahrenheit works better in some climates than in others, but it's a guided system, whereas Celsius is *entirely* arbitrary for weather. The upper bound is 37.777 degrees- it makes sense if you're used to it, yes, but Fahrenheit more closely resembles a much more familiar set of numbers, whereas Celsius is entirely its own thing.

Know that I'm playing devil's advocate here- I do believe these are actual benefits of a few of the imperial system's quirks. I personally use the metric system, but I have the ability to see past my own biases...

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Well... Since there are many more things concern to weather and environment rather than just human.
So I'm good with 0 C degrees freeze pure water and 100 C degrees boil it (sea level), then human's normal temperature can be roughly 37-38 C degrees. lower or higher than that isn't normal.

Most of metric system base on pure water states I think.
1000 g or 1 kg of pure water can be contained within 1 box, and that box will be 1 litre in volume. Take a side of the box and we have 1 dm in length, which is 10 cm or 100 mm.
Divide any of those values by 10 and we have higher level, vice versa with multiply for smaller level.

Well, I grew up with these system so it's much more easier for me to just remember the "10" step.
BTW, this is so OOT :))

Last edited:

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Technically that website is incorrect, the UK uses both metric and imperial. I use both, I can only do temperature in metric (C) but I have to do length in imperial (inches, feet, yards, miles) same with weight (technically mass - as weight is a constant on earth) [pounds, stones]. If you watch the news, they usually state length in miles (unless it's short distances, then it's metres [confused much??] and the weather in Celsius.

Sadly the EU tried to force us to adopt the full metric system and the people rejected it so that's why we have both :(

G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb