11-16-2016 10:52 AM
58 123
tools
    Hello!

I am currently running Build 9226 (latest currently available) on my Surface Pro 3, and I can't figure out how to change the displayed temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius in Cortana.

I am Italian (to make Cortana work I had to set the country to "United States", obv) and this is a quite boring issue as of now :D

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Wevenhuis likes this.
    01-24-2015 12:49 PM
    Currently, Cortana is US English only, so no Celsius. Maybe if the rest of the world caught up with the US, you wouldn't have this problem.
    Reddeviluk likes this.
    01-24-2015 12:51 PM
    LOL..... Yep, if we were all so advanced, who would have found your country though???
    01-24-2015 12:53 PM
    Currently, Cortana is US English only, so no Celsius. Maybe if the rest of the world caught up with the US, you wouldn't have this problem.
    I hope you mean caught up as in get Cortana, not adopt Fahrenheit.
    Alfa Kapa and kamylasg like this.
    01-24-2015 12:58 PM
    Thanks! :D I guess I'll just have to wait then!
    01-24-2015 12:58 PM
    In Windows Phone you just have to ask her:

Cortana, how is the weather in Rome?

Ah, bla bla bla F.

Cortana, convert it to celsius.

And there it is :)
    Laura Knotek and tiziano27 like this.
    01-24-2015 02:08 PM
    I know, Can you believe the rest of them still use the Metric System?
    Joe920 and iSingBass like this.
    01-24-2015 03:51 PM

Ah, bla bla bla F.

Here's what I do on my phone.
    wp_ss_20150124_0001.png
    ven07, adrian_molcan and Jas00555 like this.
    01-24-2015 04:08 PM
    Seems to have solved it on the desktop version as well for me.
    Thanks!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-24-2015 05:13 PM
    Seems like you have to wait. On my Lumia, it shows in Celsius if Cortana is running in German or French (don't know about the rest)
    01-24-2015 05:21 PM

Someone please explain to me how Fahrenheit works. What does a temperature of 0 degrees Fahrenheit represent? Maybe I'll get it if I know that?
    01-24-2015 06:40 PM
    Someone please explain to me how Fahrenheit works. What does a temperature of 0 degrees Fahrenheit represent? Maybe I'll get it if I know that?
    I don't remember what 0 is, but I remember that instead of 100 being boiling water (like Celsius), it was the core human body temperature. So, I guess it was for something medical?
    psiu_glen likes this.
    01-24-2015 06:55 PM
    I don't remember what 0 is, but I remember that instead of 100 being boiling water (like Celsius), it was the core human body temperature. So, I guess it was for something medical?
    0 was the lowest temperature he could reproducibly cool brine.

Now, the fixed points of 32 and 212, representing waters freezing and boiling points are used to define the scale.

Fahrenheit is actually more precise in single degree increments than Celsius -- 180 degrees between freezing and boiling versus 100.
    iSingBass likes this.
    01-24-2015 07:08 PM
    Unfortunately this is why :D
    01-24-2015 11:11 PM
    When dealing with human anatomy, Fahrenheit makes more sense. There are more tick marks to determine temperature. Especially when dealing with parents of young children, it is easier for doctors to use the "100 Rule." In other words, if the temp is below 100, don't call. That is a lot easier than saying "as long as it is below 37.77778."

The Imperial system is designed to be easier to visualize. The foot the length of your foot. A yard the length of your belt. A cup is the size of, you guessed it, a cup. All of these are designed to be easier to visualize without the need for scientific tools. Kelvin and Celsius are always going to be easier in the lab setting. But moving something "a couple feet" is easier to see than "2/3rds a meter."
    01-24-2015 11:37 PM
    When dealing with human anatomy, Fahrenheit makes more sense. There are more tick marks to determine temperature. Especially when dealing with parents of young children, it is easier for doctors to use the "100 Rule." In other words, if the temp is below 100, don't call. That is a lot easier than saying "as long as it is below 37.77778."

The Imperial system is designed to be easier to visualize. The foot the length of your foot. A yard the length of your belt. A cup is the size of, you guessed it, a cup. All of these are designed to be easier to visualize without the need for scientific tools. Kelvin and Celsius are always going to be easier in the lab setting. But moving something "a couple feet" is easier to see than "2/3rds a meter."

They use SI units in healthcare. I've seen the results when nurses took my temperature.

Actually C is an SI derived unit. The SI base unit for temperature is K (273.15 C).
    azcruz likes this.
    01-25-2015 03:15 AM
    Cortana knows Kelvin too.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk
    iSingBass and Ruben de Boer like this.
    01-25-2015 03:28 AM
    Actual we have to "blame" Napoleon Bonaparte about the Fahrenheit/Celsius.
    He introduced the metric system in the places he "visited" but he did not "visit" England.

I guess if he knew what kind of problems this would cause he would have tried harder.
    techiez likes this.
    01-25-2015 03:37 AM
    Actual we have to "blame" Napoleon Bonaparte about the Fahrenheit/Celsius.
    He introduced the metric system in the places he "visited" but he did not "visit" England.

I guess if he knew what kind of problems this would cause he would have tried harder.
    Well, almost the entire planet use the metric system.
    N_LaRUE and Susmit257 like this.
    01-25-2015 07:35 AM
    Do this:

Hey Cortana
    What's the weather in Celcius
    01-25-2015 08:13 AM
    They use SI units in healthcare. I've seen the results when nurses took my temperature.

Actually C is an SI derived unit. The SI base unit for temperature is K (273.15 C).
    Actually that should read -273.15 C (which is 0K or absolute zero)
    01-25-2015 08:18 AM

Ah, bla bla bla F.

In fact, you dont even have to call out cortana again, I generally use this.

Cortana, Whats the temperature?

Ah, bla bla bla F.

in celsius pls.

it works ;)
    01-26-2015 05:11 AM

I'm not sure what your experience in places that use the metric system is but no one is that precise with temperature, especially when dealing with illness.

The imperial system may seem easier to visualise but you do realise the issues that come with that? There are not that many people who have 12" feet. Not everyone's belt is 36", not all cups are a cup. You get my point?

Using physical means to measure things is fine however that's just guess work. You need real measurements to make things. The metric system makes complete sense and is logically based. Which is why it's becoming the measurement of choice in labs and science. Give it time and the few remaining countries that use the imperial system will switch. There's already an encroachment in the US to metric.

Fahrenheit scale is just ridiculous when you think of it. It has no basis in reality. That's why Celsius is the more popular temperature. Though if you want to get technical, we should all get to Kelvin and be done with it. :P
    SammyD97 and link68759 like this.
    01-26-2015 07:03 AM
    I solved it by including the conversion in the query itself. Like this:

"Whats the weather in Stockholm in Celsius"

Did the trick for me. =)
    01-26-2015 07:24 AM
    I solved it by including the conversion in the query itself. Like this:

"Whats the weather in Stockholm in Celsius"

Did the trick for me. =)
    That is the easiest way to get around it until Cortana is released for the rest of the world....
    01-26-2015 07:27 AM
58 123