Is Cortana ever coming to Africa?

shibiyi

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Cortana ever coming to africa.

Cortana is so great that it makes google now and siri shiver in their various OS . However are we ever going to get Cortana in Africa. This is a question that baffles me all the time. Without cortana i can assure you that windows 10 experience will be shallow.

Last edited:

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Cortana ever coming to africa.

I'm sure Cortana will come to Africa at some stage, quite possibly they'll allow in the interim you to set speech to UK or US English (like they do for India) and use that. However, Cortana needs Bing, so Bing needs to be local-aware for things in each and every country. That kind of information takes time...

G.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

Cortana is here to stay and therefore, at some point, will be available world wide. Just don't know when.

shibiyi

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

I actually saw a lumia 930 that has cortana by changing the region to USA but on my lumia 1020. i still cant get cortana. Don't know what else to do.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

If you really want it, then you need to set your region, language & speech settings to US English/USA, Cortana should appear if your running Win8.1. However it won't show local things to your country.

G.

deejohdumb

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

I understand that but I was really asking because I used to live there for a couple of years. With that said, I think it will be very challenging for Africa because there are so many countries and even more languages. Then to top it off, most of the countries aren't as digitally connected as most other countries in the world. I would imagine South Africa, Egypt, Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya would probably be some of the first countries that would get Cortana.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

I understand that but I was really asking because I used to live there for a couple of years. With that said, I think it will be very challenging for Africa because there are so many countries and even more languages. Then to top it off, most of the countries aren't as digitally connected as most other countries in the world. I would imagine South Africa, Egypt, Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya would probably be some of the first countries that would get Cortana.

Indeed it will be a challenge but I am from the Netherlands (16 million people) and I also think I have to wait long till Cortana is available in my native language. Or maybe it will never come.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

I personally think most likely that MS will allow Cortana to be used in every country, but for now only allow US or UK English until a local language is enabled for use.

G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss