Feature concern/question for us looking forward to Denim

Status
Not open for further replies.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I can't help but be excited for many of the features coming in the Denim update. But the more I think about the activation of " Hey Cortana" i wonder if it is a good/safe trade off to having a device knowingly listening to you all the time waiting to hear " Hey Cortana"

Is anyone else concerned about having their phone listening all the time?
I know I'll be trying it out, but most likely won't be leaving it enabled. Are there any special/detailed Terms and Service agreements for activating this feature that we should be reviewing?

Not to mention for me the "Hey Cortana" feature in windows 10 technical preview has been very hit and miss.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's all it is listening for... It can't do anything but trigger a wake up. It's built into the chipset and an API hooks into it. If I know Microsoft it's locked down pretty tight.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
And if you believe that is all the device is listening for thats great. However common knowledge of data gathering lends the belief that isn't all...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No. No. I'm aware of issues regarding NSA, Data Mining, etc.

Do you have a link to show where any entity is tapping the listening function of SensorCore to monitor individual users?

Also, if any governmental agency wants to listen to you through your powered on phone... That doesn't require SensorCore at all. It's been done long before now.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
don't think he's hijacking your thread at all, he is making a valid point... Also your just being paranoid and like he said the GOV or who ever else doesn't need Cortana app to listen in on you, they just use your phone outright... So your concern is truly misplaced regarding "HEY CORTANA"...

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
RumoredNow is correct, if Microsoft is to be believed, the "Hey Cortana" is using the SensorCore built into the Snapdragon 800 series processors ( Full of features: Lumia Denim Update - Lumia Conversations ). It isn't sending your voice up to any sensors. Once you say "Hey Cortana", the low powered part of the SoC then wakes up the phone, and at that point your voice can be sent up to Microsoft severs to process the data.

jodeltje

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I am concerned about this as well. And therefor won't be enabling any kind of always on listening service like Cortana/Siri/Google Now.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I am concerned about this as well. And therefor won't be enabling any kind of always on listening service like Cortana/Siri/Google Now.

Yes you should be concerned. As the thread shows, there is verified proof that there is abuse of these services, sensors and oversight. But anyone seems to be able to sight whatever they want and call it fact. You won't see a single reference to back up any statements by others in here. What a waste of time, seems the fanboys have the run of the forums.

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes you should be concerned. As the thread shows, there is verified proof that there is abuse of these services, sensors and oversight. .......
I agree. There is a problem.
Cortana is a symptom not the problem. With todays technology big Business and/or their captured Governments can and do archive all data they can get their hands on. Anyone who doesn't know that is ignorant of our current reality.
Knowing that doesn't make it any better. But it can make one paranoid.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes you should be concerned. As the thread shows, there is verified proof that there is abuse of these services, sensors.
You're correct that such abuse exists. You're just not clear on how Hey Cortana works, so you're suspicions are misplaced.
For one, Hey Cortana is not a service. It's a very low level hardware feature that functions completely independently of the CPU, any of the radios, the OS, or even storage access. The phone can be turned off, with all radios deactivated, and it would still work, and it is limited by the hardware to doing but two things... turning the phone on and telling the OS to start listening for further commands.
Hey Cortana can't store/remember anything. It understands but two words and nothing more. It can't send or receive anything. It's isolated from pretty much everything else on the device.
Any app you use is more dangerous, in terms of spying, than Hey Cortana is.

Last edited:

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I agree. There is a problem.
Cortana is a symptom not the problem. With todays technology big Business and/or their captured Governments can and do archive all data they can get their hands on. Anyone who doesn't know that is ignorant of our current reality.
Knowing that doesn't make it any better. But it can make one paranoid.

Haha yes you are right! I agree, now that talking to one's device and it being able to listen and interact has become a reality we are also getting the benefits from it and not just misuse (law enforcement, spies, blah) :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Long before active listening was a hardware feature, cell phones were used to record conversations in their surroundings by law enforcement. Look at all the articles back in 2006 about this case...
Can You Hear Me Now? - ABC News

The phone does not need to be turned on. It does not need a Snapdragon 800 and up CPU. Having "Hey Cortana" does not make this any easier. Not having "Hey Cortana" does not defeat this.

If you are that concerned about data mining and Government surveillance, the only way to avoid it is to not have a cell phone/computer/etc. and never be in the proximity of one. Welcome to the 21st Century on planet Earth.

I also wonder what exactly it is that makes individuals think they specifically are getting targeted for surveillance...

fbi uses cell phones as bugs - Bing
who is listening in on my cell phone calls - Bing

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Long before active listening was a hardware feature, cell phones were used to record conversations in their surroundings by law enforcement. Look at all the articles back in 2006 about this case...
Can You Hear Me Now? - ABC News

The phone does not need to be turned on. It does not need a Snapdragon 800 and up CPU. Having "Hey Cortana" does not make this any easier. Not having "Hey Cortana" does not defeat this.

If you are that concerned about data mining and Government surveillance, the only way to avoid it is to not have a cell phone/computer/etc. and never be in the proximity of one. Welcome to the 21st Century on planet Earth.

I also wonder what exactly it is that makes individuals think they specifically are getting targeted for surveillance...

fbi uses cell phones as bugs - Bing
who is listening in on my cell phone calls - Bing

exactly this! ^^^ it boggles my mind that people are so afraid of such a small app when infact JUST HAVING A PHONE is worse LOL

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
exactly this! ^^^ it boggles my mind that people are so afraid of such a small app when infact JUST HAVING A PHONE is worse LOL
It's not even an app. It's just a routine that runs on a low power DSP, waiting for sound waves to hit the microphone that roughly match the pattern generated by saying "Hey Cortana". It doesn't understand any of it. If it detects such a pattern, it turns the device on and tells the OS to launch Cortana. That's all it does and can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077