02-10-2015 12:09 AM
26 12
tools
    I can't help but be excited for many of the features coming in the Denim update. But the more I think about the activation of " Hey Cortana" i wonder if it is a good/safe trade off to having a device knowingly listening to you all the time waiting to hear " Hey Cortana"

Is anyone else concerned about having their phone listening all the time?
    I know I'll be trying it out, but most likely won't be leaving it enabled. Are there any special/detailed Terms and Service agreements for activating this feature that we should be reviewing?

Not to mention for me the "Hey Cortana" feature in windows 10 technical preview has been very hit and miss.
    01-28-2015 02:49 PM
    That's all it is listening for... It can't do anything but trigger a wake up. It's built into the chipset and an API hooks into it. If I know Microsoft it's locked down pretty tight.
    a5cent, Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    01-28-2015 04:04 PM
    And if you believe that is all the device is listening for thats great. However common knowledge of data gathering lends the belief that isn't all...
    01-28-2015 06:20 PM
    And if you believe that is all the device is listening for thats great. However common knowledge of data gathering lends the belief that isn't all...
    Got any links?
    Guytronic likes this.
    01-28-2015 06:24 PM
    01-28-2015 07:30 PM
    Been asleep over the past year?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden
    No. No. I'm aware of issues regarding NSA, Data Mining, etc.

Do you have a link to show where any entity is tapping the listening function of SensorCore to monitor individual users?

Also, if any governmental agency wants to listen to you through your powered on phone... That doesn't require SensorCore at all. It's been done long before now.
    a5cent, Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    01-28-2015 07:40 PM
    Way to hijack a thread, with meaningless questions, not backed up by anything please move along.
    01-28-2015 07:46 PM
    don't think he's hijacking your thread at all, he is making a valid point... Also your just being paranoid and like he said the GOV or who ever else doesn't need Cortana app to listen in on you, they just use your phone outright... So your concern is truly misplaced regarding "HEY CORTANA"...
    RumoredNow and Guytronic like this.
    01-28-2015 07:55 PM
    RumoredNow is correct, if Microsoft is to be believed, the "Hey Cortana" is using the SensorCore built into the Snapdragon 800 series processors ( Full of features: Lumia Denim Update - Lumia Conversations ). It isn't sending your voice up to any sensors. Once you say "Hey Cortana", the low powered part of the SoC then wakes up the phone, and at that point your voice can be sent up to Microsoft severs to process the data.
    01-28-2015 08:01 PM
    Yes, I am concerned about this as well. And therefor won't be enabling any kind of always on listening service like Cortana/Siri/Google Now.
    JohnStrk likes this.
    01-28-2015 08:03 PM
    Yes, I am concerned about this as well. And therefor won't be enabling any kind of always on listening service like Cortana/Siri/Google Now.
    paranoid much? lol

emeraldcitywanderer-1487482-albums-general-pic98542-tin-foil-hat.jpg
    gMaesterUK likes this.
    01-28-2015 09:13 PM
    And there's your answer... They let you opt out. Or do they really?
    Guytronic likes this.
    01-28-2015 09:15 PM
    ok don't feed the fire man... LOL
    01-28-2015 09:18 PM
    Yes you should be concerned. As the thread shows, there is verified proof that there is abuse of these services, sensors and oversight. But anyone seems to be able to sight whatever they want and call it fact. You won't see a single reference to back up any statements by others in here. What a waste of time, seems the fanboys have the run of the forums.
    01-29-2015 02:19 PM
    Yes you should be concerned. As the thread shows, there is verified proof that there is abuse of these services, sensors and oversight. .......
    I agree. There is a problem.
    Cortana is a symptom not the problem. With todays technology big Business and/or their captured Governments can and do archive all data they can get their hands on. Anyone who doesn't know that is ignorant of our current reality.
    Knowing that doesn't make it any better. But it can make one paranoid.
    floppyedonkey likes this.
    01-29-2015 07:43 PM
    Yes you should be concerned. As the thread shows, there is verified proof that there is abuse of these services, sensors.
    You're correct that such abuse exists. You're just not clear on how Hey Cortana works, so you're suspicions are misplaced.
    For one, Hey Cortana is not a service. It's a very low level hardware feature that functions completely independently of the CPU, any of the radios, the OS, or even storage access. The phone can be turned off, with all radios deactivated, and it would still work, and it is limited by the hardware to doing but two things... turning the phone on and telling the OS to start listening for further commands.
    Hey Cortana can't store/remember anything. It understands but two words and nothing more. It can't send or receive anything. It's isolated from pretty much everything else on the device.
    Any app you use is more dangerous, in terms of spying, than Hey Cortana is.
    Last edited by a5cent; 01-30-2015 at 07:04 AM.
    01-29-2015 07:55 PM
    I agree. There is a problem.
    Cortana is a symptom not the problem. With todays technology big Business and/or their captured Governments can and do archive all data they can get their hands on. Anyone who doesn't know that is ignorant of our current reality.
    Knowing that doesn't make it any better. But it can make one paranoid.
    Haha yes you are right! I agree, now that talking to one's device and it being able to listen and interact has become a reality we are also getting the benefits from it and not just misuse (law enforcement, spies, blah) :)
    01-29-2015 08:02 PM
    Long before active listening was a hardware feature, cell phones were used to record conversations in their surroundings by law enforcement. Look at all the articles back in 2006 about this case...
    Can You Hear Me Now? - ABC News

The phone does not need to be turned on. It does not need a Snapdragon 800 and up CPU. Having "Hey Cortana" does not make this any easier. Not having "Hey Cortana" does not defeat this.

If you are that concerned about data mining and Government surveillance, the only way to avoid it is to not have a cell phone/computer/etc. and never be in the proximity of one. Welcome to the 21st Century on planet Earth.

I also wonder what exactly it is that makes individuals think they specifically are getting targeted for surveillance...

fbi uses cell phones as bugs - Bing
    who is listening in on my cell phone calls - Bing
    Guytronic, Laura Knotek and jmshub like this.
    01-29-2015 09:52 PM
    Long before active listening was a hardware feature, cell phones were used to record conversations in their surroundings by law enforcement. Look at all the articles back in 2006 about this case...
    Can You Hear Me Now? - ABC News

The phone does not need to be turned on. It does not need a Snapdragon 800 and up CPU. Having "Hey Cortana" does not make this any easier. Not having "Hey Cortana" does not defeat this.

If you are that concerned about data mining and Government surveillance, the only way to avoid it is to not have a cell phone/computer/etc. and never be in the proximity of one. Welcome to the 21st Century on planet Earth.

I also wonder what exactly it is that makes individuals think they specifically are getting targeted for surveillance...

fbi uses cell phones as bugs - Bing
    who is listening in on my cell phone calls - Bing
    exactly this! ^^^ it boggles my mind that people are so afraid of such a small app when infact JUST HAVING A PHONE is worse LOL
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-30-2015 10:27 AM
    exactly this! ^^^ it boggles my mind that people are so afraid of such a small app when infact JUST HAVING A PHONE is worse LOL
    It's not even an app. It's just a routine that runs on a low power DSP, waiting for sound waves to hit the microphone that roughly match the pattern generated by saying "Hey Cortana". It doesn't understand any of it. If it detects such a pattern, it turns the device on and tells the OS to launch Cortana. That's all it does and can do.
    01-30-2015 01:05 PM
    dude I know what it is, I wasn't going to get into the details of what a sub routine voice activated command is or isn't... and trying to be mr smart you missed the WHOLE point of my post
    01-30-2015 01:50 PM
    dude I know what it is, I wasn't going to get into the details of what a sub routine voice activated command is or isn't... and trying to be mr smart you missed the WHOLE point of my post
    If you wouldn't have taken offense, you would have seen that I didn't miss your point, but was just trying to emphasize it even further. It's not even a small app...
    Guytronic, Laura Knotek and jmshub like this.
    01-30-2015 04:48 PM
    In layman terms, simple answer would be "no, you should not be worried about privacy when using Hey Cortana feature". I believe you are not ready to accept more technical explanation (which previous commenters had already provided and you dismissed it). If you are so worried about privacy, you should NOT be using a smartphone. Companies like Google, Apple and Microsoft already know too much about you anyway. As said, any application running under lock screen can listen to you and send data anywhere without your knowledge. And you asked about terms & conditions, AFAIK, MS is stating that they are not sending any data nor voice sample to any servers, it stays on your device (and there is really no technical reason to do it otherwise). If I would be Microsoft and I would want to spy on you, I wouldn't really need Hey Cortana to do that and I would be already doing it for years.
    Guytronic and RumoredNow like this.
    01-30-2015 05:18 PM
    Another interesting article out today about my exact concern. Samsung openly acknowledges their smart TVs listen to personal conversations and transmit back to Samsung and third parties.... again another reason to seriously think about Cortana.

Be Careful What You Say Around Your Samsung Smart TV | Video | PCMag.com
    02-09-2015 03:05 PM
    Help me out here. What is the danger?

You have "Hey Cortana" active on your phone... Then, as an example, you mention to a friend how you stole a candy bar at the store... Who do you suppose is monitoring a billion human beings to sort out your one faux pas among the billions of sets of data "being captured?" Who is doing this and how will they treat the info?

Please outline a scenario so we can all understand better.

What triggers the active action regarding what is said vs passive monitoring for a specific command phrase? How are our conversations going to be less private and held against us? Please provide specifics.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 02-09-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-09-2015 04:43 PM
26 12