She keeps adding a Zero. Every......Single....Time :(

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
So this is one of those quirky little bugs that takes an otherwise excellent concept like Cortana and screws it.....

Whenever I dictate a phone number for cortana to dial she adds a zero to the front of the number.

It doesn't matter whether I say "dial zero seven two, etc, etc" or "oh seven two" she'll add that darn zero to the start of the number, which of course makes it an unknown number and the call fails.

I use my phone extensively for calling and make about 30+ calls a day so this isn't just one of those slightly annoying glitches....it actually seriously deteriorates Cortana's usefulness when using my handset.

Has anyone else experienced this bug? If so, is there a fix?

I'm UK based, using UK Cortana

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
She's still in alpha (or beta now for UK?). Give her a bit of time.
What happens if you ask her to dial, for example, +61 8 1234 5678? Adding the + might help with her working out you're dialling internationally.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Let me know.
​I've stored all my Contacts in international format for years. After getting bitten by a particularly badly executed (on my part) import/export process with Smartphone 2002. I've found it useful when overseas etc. Hope Cortana understands it!

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've just tried it....no luck. I then tried just saying the number normally and she got it. I tried a third time and she stumbled and inserted the zero. I think you're right....Cortana is Beta and still buggy, it's going to take a while to iron it all out. Hopefully simple bugs like these won't find their way onto the Windows 10 platform. I get the feeling Windows 10 represents Microsoft's last attempt at the smartphone market. Cortana is going to have to be pitch perfect.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Surely if you say oh seven two she will do 072.

Say seven two to not have a leading 0.

As an aside, for all numbers, storing with formal country prefix like +44 7373 etc. works best if you ever travel.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720