03-22-2015 02:07 PM
98 ... 234
tools
    Hello everyone,

So the news of CORTANA coming to rival platform is practically confirmed and there is just so much outcry that not many of you are even considering to look at it from the other side. This is MY point of view:

In the recent months Microsoft has pushed for their services to be available on other platforms (Office, better Outlook app, Xbox Music and OneDrive) and this is according to their new strategy that moves from software to focus more on hardware and services (and we knew about that for months now). However a thing to note is the fact that these apps are not always so great in the way of design and they do not feel as natural as on Windows (both on phones and PC) and therefore if you really want the greatest experience, look no further but back to Microsoft! Yes maybe Office apps are little better right now on rival platforms, but the universal Office that is coming with W10 will make them look bleak. Going back to CORTANA, here the story WILL again be the same, although available on other platforms, it will not be as good as at "home". Microsoft clearly is doing a great doing, by opening their services to others because this creates something that have never existed for this company, which is the physical ability to "demo" what they have to offer for free to everyone, no matter the ecosystem. I do not understand the silly anger without any after thoughts, Windows phones are selling better than ever since all above has happened and Microsoft is literally flooding us with innovation... Surface, Windows 10, Hololens, Xbox ONE. I know better after being under this ecosystem for years that whatever Microsoft is doing these days means great things to come, as long as you trust them as they trust you, senseless ranting is not needed.

Otherwise go ahead, chuck you WP and get your Android or iPhone and join parade of crying clowns there or maybe you fought their world is perfect ? ;)
    Many people seem to subscribe to this 'lure them to WP with apps' theory. I don't agree with it, for two main reasons;

1) Often, the non-native apps are better than thier native counterparts (already discussed ad nauseum, feel free to disagree), thus offering 0 incentive to switch ecosystems.

2) The WP appscape is becoming more barren all the time; one needs to look no further than the WC headlines here to see that app X has been pulled from the store; now not only do we not get app parity to begin with, existing apps are being pulled!

If your end-goal is to get someone to switch from using someone else's stuff to your stuff, you need to make sure your stuff is better; is WP better than iOS or Android? That's waaaay up in the air...
    Sonu K and steve_w_7 like this.
    03-16-2015 06:02 PM
    If you want to stick it to Google you would want Microsoft to bring Cortana to Android. Hit Google where it hurts, mobile search. Not a lot of Android users are going to download Bing and use it instead of Google, but I can see people trying out Cortana. I can even see them liking her and maybe using her to replace Google. I would also do with Skype what Google has done with Hangouts on Android. Make it so it can be your default text messaging app and have Cortana read text to you like she does on Windows Phone. Now people might consider this crazy but face it WP is never going overtake Android so lets at least hit Google where it matters most.
    Laura Knotek and Sonu K like this.
    03-17-2015 12:09 AM
    If you want to stick it to Google you would want Microsoft to bring Cortana to Android. Hit Google where it hurts, mobile search. Not a lot of Android users are going to download Bing and use it instead of Google, but I can see people trying out Cortana. I can even see them liking her and maybe using her to replace Google.
    It seems to me that fans here overestimate Cortana's appeal to those not on Microsoft's platform. Saying that Cortana is an advantage to Android users is like saying that a certain hotel is better because it has an Otis elevator and the competition doesn't. Well, that may be true technically speaking, but the other hotel has a ThyssenKrupp elevator, which does the same job and there's no difference to the passengers. (Yeah I know; who thinks about elevator brands? )

My point is that Cortana is indeed wonderful, but it's got little, if anything over Google Now. I use them both so I'm familiar with both of them. Each has its advantages over the other, but overall they're pretty much equal. Few people are going to use something other than the default, even if it is actually better.
    03-17-2015 07:58 AM
    Your elevator analogy isn't really apt. People don't choose hotels based on elevators, they choose hotels based on location. I've stayed at a hotel that had crappy elevators, so much so that I've take the stairs, but it was significantly closer to where I need to be. But anyway, I'm not saying a mass exodus but maybe some users would change. Judging by the message Firefox users are getting to switch back to Google search, it seems like every little bit counts to them.

On another note, I find Cortana better. I've been using a Galaxy Note 4 for the last 3 months and so far Google Now has mixed up my home and work twice. I have no idea how this has happened but there is nothing like getting your traffic to work notification and getting the message that you are 1 minute away. I've had to go in and fix it and then it takes a couple of days until I start getting traffic notifications again. I've never had that problem with Cortana.
    tgp likes this.
    03-17-2015 10:11 AM
    Well, to me it's OK if MS brings own apps to the competition platforms, IF the apps are
    - coming out for WP / Windows safely before serving the other platforms (which for Cortana it's NOT the case, Cortana not even arrived in Switzerland (German language))
    - being at least as good if not better than on the competing platforms (something I cannot judge properly, but the Android Outlook App certainly has some things like design and functionality which is not there in the WP Mail app)

There is a suggestion out there, but with only few votes, wich addresses this:
    https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...arget-wp-first
    03-17-2015 10:42 AM
    Your elevator analogy isn't really apt.
    Yes I know it wasn't the best analogy. What I was trying to say is that Cortana is referred to as the holy grail for the other platforms, when both of them already have an equivalent. Well, Siri isn't nearly to its level, but Google Now is. It's true; Cortana is a great product and it's not (yet) on Android and iOS, but it's not like those platforms don't have something similar.

The way I read the fan comments about Cortana being eagerly anticipated on the other platforms is like if I say, "I'm going to stay at the Sheraton because it has a very nice elevator manufactured by Otis. Holiday Inn doesn't have one." I'd be implying that Holiday Inn has NO elevator. The way Cortana going to iOS and Android is talked about here, an outsider who has no knowledge of smartphone platforms reading this would think that Android and iOS have nothing in that department.

Cortana and Google Now are different products, yes, but they do the same job.
    03-17-2015 10:47 AM
    Anyone plz make a thread in windows phone uservoice to don't share Cortana.
    I give 3 star sure.....
    03-17-2015 10:55 AM
    The way Cortana going to iOS and Android is talked about here, an outsider who has no knowledge of smartphone platforms reading this would think that Android and iOS have nothing in that department.
    Do you really think an outsider with no knowledge of smartphones is this deep into the WindowsCentral forums? Plus that has nothing to do with my point. I'm saying bring Cortana to Android not because she is superior, that's in the eye of the beholder. Bring her to Android because even if 1% do find her superior over Google Now, that's 1% of mobile search taken away from them.
    03-17-2015 11:39 AM
    Do you really think an outsider with no knowledge of smartphones is this deep into the WindowsCentral forums?
    No I don't. All of us here know that Microsoft has Cortana, Android has Google Now, and Apple has Siri. The way this deal about Cortana going to Android and iOS is presented by fans here, it leaves the idea that it's a long awaited addition to those platforms because they don't have it. The implication is given that they don't have anything like it. It's technically true that Android & iOS don't have Cortana, but they do have their own equivalents.

To take this further, I question whether it'll be used much, at least on Android. We do have somewhat of a precedent with Google Now on iOS. It would be interesting to know how many iOS users actually use Google Now. We could take that as a preview of how well Cortana will be adopted.

In a nutshell, I think that a lot of fans are looking at Cortana that way, as fans. Its fans cannot imagine anybody NOT drooling over Cortana! That's not the case. I use them both and I know what both are capable of. While Cortana is great and I love it, I'm not planning to use it on my Android. While it does a fantastic job on WP, it is certainly not advanced enough to replace Google Now on Android. Not to mention it probably won't get access to Android & iOS like it does to WP. I doubt whether it'll be as capable as it is on WP.

Like I said before, I'm looking forward to watching this all spin out. Hang on for the ride!
    HidingTrouble likes this.
    03-17-2015 11:55 AM
    I'd like someone to tell me point by point how MS services are better on other platforms. No blanket statements, facts. I'd prefer screenshots if possible.

Show me how to send an email from Windows Phone Outlook with a photo, an Excel spreadsheet, a Word doc and a PDF file attached in the same email.
    03-17-2015 12:43 PM
    Show me how to send an email from Windows Phone Outlook with a photo, an Excel spreadsheet, a Word doc and a PDF file attached in the same email.

Sent from my awesome Lumia 735
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20150317_0005.png   wp_ss_20150317_0006.png   wp_ss_20150317_0007.png  
    03-17-2015 12:51 PM
    Well WP10 is around the corner, so those thinking of 'leaving WP' should do just that. Clear out the 'dead wood' so to speak....
    I've never understood this "scorched earth" line of thinking. If you truly love WP and want to see it succeed, rather than showing everyone the door you should be alarmed at the number of people who are fed up and deciding to leave.

If market share continues to decline as it has, I fear that Microsoft will not find value in investing resources into anything resembling a high-end handset and continue to crap out low end plastic, at best, or, at worst, get out of manufacturing handsets altogether - knowing that Microsoft users can go anywhere and still use their apps and services. This is good for Microsoft (and me as an iPhone user), but not good for @Geddeeee if he wants to continue to consume his MS apps and services on a shiny new Windows Phone for years to come.
    03-17-2015 01:00 PM
    Sent from my awesome Lumia 735
    That's awesome. Well done Microsoft! I don't have W10 yet.
    03-17-2015 01:06 PM
    I've never understood this "scorched earth" line of thinking. If you truly love WP and want to see it succeed, rather than showing everyone the door you should be alarmed at the number of people who are fed up and deciding to leave.

If market share continues to decline as it has, I fear that Microsoft will not find value in investing resources into anything resembling a high-end handset and continue to crap out low end plastic, at best, or, at worst, get out of manufacturing handsets altogether - knowing that Microsoft users can go anywhere and still use their apps and services. This is good for Microsoft (and me as an iPhone user), but not good for @Geddeeee if he wants to continue to consume his MS apps and services on a shiny new Windows Phone for years to come.
    Thanks for the 'clarification', but it's JUST A PHONE... I'm not really interested about platforms or market share. The bottom line is: Does this device do what I want it to do.... Matters not whether it is WP or Android or anything else... It's a gadget....
    03-17-2015 01:08 PM
    Thanks for the 'clarification', but it's JUST A PHONE... I'm not really interested about platforms or market share. The bottom line is: Does this device do what I want it to do.... Matters not whether it is WP or Android or anything else... It's a gadget....
    Referring to people who choose to move from WP to other platforms as 'dead wood' would suggest otherwise.
    03-17-2015 01:55 PM
    That's awesome. Well done Microsoft! I don't have W10 yet.
    You do not need windows 10 to do it you already can do it now.
    wp_ss_20150317_0003.png
    wp_ss_20150317_0002.png

If you use File attacher.
    File Attacher | Windows Phone Apps & games Store (Nederland)
    And if you attach the picture as "zip ..." the size will not be reduced.
    03-17-2015 02:04 PM
    Actually there is precedent for this on Android already. It's the Bing app. I've downloaded it to my Note 4 and I've set it to my default search when I long press the home key. So I can see them easily just making it Cortana.
    03-17-2015 04:56 PM
    My comment was directed at those who claim that Microsoft services work better on other platforms. Without the benefit of 3rd party apps, you can't attach multiple files from Outlook and I've stated as such many times on these boards.
    03-17-2015 05:12 PM
    My comment was directed at those who claim that Microsoft services work better on other platforms. Without the benefit of 3rd party apps, you can't attach multiple files from Outlook and I've stated as such many times on these boards.
    That was kind of my point. The iOS version of Office allows you to attach multiple files. In that particular case, the non-Windows Phone version works better than the Windows Phone version (until W10). I did not realize until yesterday, however, that there were 3rd party options to accomplish this.
    03-18-2015 11:09 AM
    That was kind of my point. The iOS version of Office allows you to attach multiple files. In that particular case, the non-Windows Phone version works better than the Windows Phone version (until W10). I did not realize until yesterday, however, that there were 3rd party options to accomplish this.

Not quite.

The Apple version of office only allows you to attach a link from OneDrive.

Since Apple does not have a file manager you cannot attach just the actual document, only a link.
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    03-18-2015 12:16 PM
    Not quite.

The Apple version of office only allows you to attach a link from OneDrive.

Since Apple does not have a file manager you cannot attach just the actual document, only a link.
    Are you talking about multiple files or just one? I don't have any problem sending a word document as an attachment using Office on iPhone. (pics are in reverse order)

20150320_010729000_ios.jpg20150320_010714000_ios.jpg20150320_010718000_ios.jpg20150320_010725000_ios.jpg20150320_010721000_ios.jpg
    03-19-2015 08:38 PM
    Are you talking about multiple files or just one? I don't have any problem sending a word document as an attachment using Office on iPhone. (pics are in reverse order)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150320_010729000_iOS.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	100065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150320_010714000_iOS.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	100066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150320_010718000_iOS.jpg 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	100067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150320_010725000_iOS.jpg 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	100068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150320_010721000_iOS.jpg 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	100069
    Multiple. Particularly different file types. I've never used it on Android but I would suspect it's easier since it has a native file browser, unlike iOS.
    dgr_874 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-20-2015 07:46 AM
    I really don't understand why you people care about Cortana appearing on other platforms.

1. If Cortana is so good, isn't it good for humanity that more people will get the chance to use it? Denying the large majority of people access to this supposedly fabulous technology simply because of their choice of mobile phone seems cruel.

2. Android and iOS already have voice control that few people bother to use. Why do you think anyone will care much about Cortana on those platforms?
    Harrie-S, gpobernardo and kiddori like this.
    03-22-2015 02:07 PM
98 ... 234