CORTANA + iOS/Android and why you're WRONG!

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

So the news of CORTANA coming to rival platform is practically confirmed and there is just so much outcry that not many of you are even considering to look at it from the other side. This is MY point of view:

In the recent months Microsoft has pushed for their services to be available on other platforms (Office, better Outlook app, Xbox Music and OneDrive) and this is according to their new strategy that moves from software to focus more on hardware and services (and we knew about that for months now). However a thing to note is the fact that these apps are not always so great in the way of design and they do not feel as natural as on Windows (both on phones and PC) and therefore if you really want the greatest experience, look no further but back to Microsoft! Yes maybe Office apps are little better right now on rival platforms, but the universal Office that is coming with W10 will make them look bleak. Going back to CORTANA, here the story WILL again be the same, although available on other platforms, it will not be as good as at "home". Microsoft clearly is doing a great doing, by opening their services to others because this creates something that have never existed for this company, which is the physical ability to "demo" what they have to offer for free to everyone, no matter the ecosystem. I do not understand the silly anger without any after thoughts, Windows phones are selling better than ever since all above has happened and Microsoft is literally flooding us with innovation... Surface, Windows 10, Hololens, Xbox ONE. I know better after being under this ecosystem for years that whatever Microsoft is doing these days means great things to come, as long as you trust them as they trust you, senseless ranting is not needed.

Otherwise go ahead, chuck you WP and get your Android or iPhone and join parade of crying clowns there or maybe you fought their world is perfect ? ;)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

So the news of CORTANA coming to rival platform is practically confirmed and there is just so much outcry that not many of you are even considering to look at it from the other side. This is MY point of view:

In the recent months Microsoft has pushed for their services to be available on other platforms (Office, better Outlook app, Xbox Music and OneDrive) and this is according to their new strategy that moves from software to focus more on hardware and services (and we knew about that for months now). However a thing to note is the fact that these apps are not always so great in the way of design and they do not feel as natural as on Windows (both on phones and PC) and therefore if you really want the greatest experience, look no further but back to Microsoft! Yes maybe Office apps are little better right now on rival platforms, but the universal Office that is coming with W10 will make them look bleak. Going back to CORTANA, here the story WILL again be the same, although available on other platforms, it will not be as good as at "home". Microsoft clearly is doing a great doing, by opening their services to others because this creates something that have never existed for this company, which is the physical ability to "demo" what they have to offer for free to everyone, no matter the ecosystem. I do not understand the silly anger without any after thoughts, Windows phones are selling better than ever since all above has happened and Microsoft is literally flooding us with innovation... Surface, Windows 10, Hololens, Xbox ONE. I know better after being under this ecosystem for years that whatever Microsoft is doing these days means great things to come, as long as you trust them as they trust you, senseless ranting is not needed.

Otherwise go ahead, chuck you WP and get your Android or iPhone and join parade of crying clowns there or maybe you fought their world is perfect ? ;)

Thanks for the insights :cool:

I'm going to leave windows phone... No more WP

What happened?

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft sharing everything like mixradio, Cortana, HERE maps, outlook, etc... Now I started hating Microsoft

Try and think of it this way, If you love Microsoft services (like I do), then you have the freedom to chose any hardware you want and get the same great functions. If you like something on iOS, they use an iPhone. All your Microsoft services will be available to you. If you like a feature that only an Android phone has, then you are free to use it without interrupting your services.

I know it seems like we are being left out in the cold by this move. But, it is honestly for the best for the company and it will give you more freedom.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to leave windows phone... No more WP

And were are you going, to android or iOS. You leave WP because Microsoft is "giving" apps to Android and iOS.
Anyhow good luck.

Bye the way
Buying another phone and ditch your windows phone is indeed a very smart move . (and this is sarcastic)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Hello everyone,

However a thing to note is the fact that these apps are not always so great in the way of design and they do not feel as natural as on Windows (both on phones and PC) and therefore if you really want the greatest experience, look no further but back to Microsoft!

Any examples to back this claim up?

I know better after being under this ecosystem for years that whatever Microsoft is doing these days means great things to come, as long as you trust them as they trust you, senseless ranting is not needed.

Haven't we been hearing this for years already?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
mixradio was/is in the process of being sold off. so not microsoft.
Here is a Nokia property, not microsoft. As for everything else, they could keep it in house, but then it looses relevance. Office, for example, not on your platform? use one of the other sub-par choices available. The more people using their products, the more they can potentially make. MS is a business. Would you rather be with apple who barely shares ANYTHING outside of their ecosystem, or Google who selectively shares (with apple)?

with MS apps being everywhere, an ecosystem that isn't limited by hardware or OS is becoming easier and easier. and it works! i have IOS and android using friends that are starting to get their feet wet with MS products.... and they like it. 1, who was "all in" with google is planning to jump over to MS products due to the simplicity for connecting and syncing natively with his Surface Pro!

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is trying to give everybody a taste of what they have to offer no matter the platform they use. I see no problems there. Also, it's obvious Cortana will not be as good on other devices compared to WP.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
So, imagine I have an Android phone. I install, say, Outlook, only to discover it's not so good on Android. Am I....

a) going to buy a Windows Phone so that I can have a better Outlook experience? - or-
b) install a better email app?

Hmm. I think the answer is obvious.

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Any examples to back this claim up?

Try Xbox Music on iOS, it's slow and has simple and not original design like the native version.

Haven't we been hearing this for years already?

And have not you been rewarded with great phones with Wireless Charging before anyone else had it (and sensorcore) and the best mobile lenses on the market, and what about Surface tablets? And how about Xbox ONE, and what about all those gigabytes of cloud storage given away for which other would charge you.... and what about those endless bundles giving you accessories for free and what about free games with Gold, what else do you need ? Phones got the best virtual assistant, and you have your notification centre and folders and most of the apps are in the store and most of Windows Phone features will be also available on your pc, more than between iOS and Mavericks and definitely more than between Android and Chrome OS, and what about Windows apps coming to Xbox, HOLOLENS!?, Microsoft Band (which you can get outside of US from eBay daaaaah) etc, etc, etc..... Seriously what do you expect from Microsoft, because if you are crying about lack of Snapchat, then I am sorry but you should leave.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

In addition (and going back to the topic, since this is in the Cortana lounge), it is well known that Microsoft is gathering feedback from a lot of users in the background based on how they use Cortana (in addition to actual typed-in feedback). Releasing Cortana to other platforms could allow Microsoft to gather information on how users use (pardon the redundancy) "competitor" smart phones. This should provide MS additional information (and a lot of it!) they would need to further improve their services, which will then could be limited only to Windows Phones/Windows Devices. It's literally being able to gather real-time data from "competitor" markets. Sounds like a brilliant move to me.:cool:

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So, imagine I have an Android phone. I install, say, Outlook, only to discover it's not so good on Android. Am I....

a) going to buy a Windows Phone so that I can have a better Outlook experience? - or-
b) install a better email app?

Hmm. I think the answer is obvious.

No, because it's not terribly bad, actually I used Outlook on android before as well as all other apps and they are pretty good, except that they do not feel like something that is perfectly designed for Android which is why SOME people but not EVERYBODY may consider giving Windows phones a chance after using above on their platform, WHICH is better as oppose to not having this option at all AND having over 2 Billion Android and iOS devices activated makes the chances even greater. Amen.

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
In addition (and going back to the topic, since this is in the Cortana lounge), it is well known that Microsoft is gathering feedback from a lot of users in the background based on how they use Cortana (in addition to actual typed-in feedback). Releasing Cortana to other platforms could allow Microsoft to gather information on how users use (pardon the redundancy) "competitor" smart phones. This should provide MS additional information (and a lot of it!) they would need to further improve their services, which will then could be limited only to Windows Phones/Windows Devices. It's literally being able to gather real-time data from "competitor" markets. Sounds like a brilliant move to me.:cool:

Seconding that, another reason why the future with Microsoft may get way better than elsewhere.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
And have not you been rewarded with great phones with Wireless Charging before anyone else had it (and sensorcore) and the best mobile lenses on the market, and what about Surface tablets? And how about Xbox ONE, and what about all those gigabytes of cloud storage given away for which other would charge you.... and what about those endless bundles giving you accessories for free and what about free games with Gold, what else do you need ? Phones got the best virtual assistant, and you have your notification centre and folders and most of the apps are in the store and most of Windows Phone features will be also available on your pc, more than between iOS and Mavericks and definitely more than between Android and Chrome OS, and what about Windows apps coming to Xbox, HOLOLENS!?, Microsoft Band (which you can get outside of US from eBay daaaaah) etc, etc, etc..... Seriously what do you expect from Microsoft, because if you are crying about lack of Snapchat, then I am sorry but you should leave.

One app that's not up to par does not equal a better experience for all MS apps, onenote, onedrive, Skype, Photosynth for a start are clearly better on ios and android.

As for the things you claim I have been "rewarded" with some of those do not come from Microsoft and are not their creations, merely taking advantage of available features. Nokia was making great cameras before Microsoft came along so that's nothing they can claim to have "rewarded" me with. Xbox One? Its a game console, and games with gold is just a copy of what Sony is already doing, nothing groundbreaking or "reward" worthy there. You also seem to think I'm one of those people who start to hyperventilate when something "free' is given away, sorry but I'm not so all that storage free storage doesn't impress me as I have my own home server for my storage needs. Nor do the "those endless bundles giving you accessories for free", not sure what that's about. You rattle off names of things like they are supposed to be impressive but Im not sure how.

Hololens, so what? Kinect was also hugely hyped, where did that end up, a glorified remote control. Best phone personal assistant? A matter of opinion

None of that though is relevant to your statement that we should blindly trust Microsoft for "great things to come" when in 4+ years they have proven incapable of exploiting any of the things they were actually able to introduce in their phone OS. You seem to be someone who is totally impressed with anything Microsoft does but that doesn't work for me.

Also, please point to ONE instance where I mentioned Snapchat. It appears you aren't capable of having an adult discussion so I wont try to anymore after this.

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
One app that's not up to par does not equal a better experience for all MS apps, onenote, onedrive, Skype, Photosynth for a start are clearly better on ios and android.

As for the things you claim I have been "rewarded" with some of those do not come from Microsoft and are not their creations, merely taking advantage of available features. Nokia was making great cameras before Microsoft came along so that's nothing they can claim to have "rewarded" me with. Xbox One? Its a game console, and games with gold is just a copy of what Sony is already doing, nothing groundbreaking or "reward" worthy there. You also seem to think I'm one of those people who start to hyperventilate when something "free' is given away, sorry but I'm not so all that storage free storage doesn't impress me as I have my own home server for my storage needs. Nor do the "those endless bundles giving you accessories for free", not sure what that's about. You rattle off names of things like they are supposed to be impressive but Im not sure how.

Hololens, so what? Kinect was also hugely hyped, where did that end up, a glorified remote control. Best phone personal assistant? A matter of opinion

None of that though is relevant to your statement that we should blindly trust Microsoft for "great things to come" when in 4+ years they have proven incapable of exploiting any of the things they were actually able to introduce in their phone OS. You seem to be someone who is totally impressed with anything Microsoft does but that doesn't work for me.

Also, please point to ONE instance where I mentioned Snapchat. It appears you aren't capable of having an adult discussion so I wont try to anymore after this.

Ok I agree, above is just throwing lots of different things at you that Microsoft have done, however these are not of no value but to bring the company up to speed with the changes happening around. Microsoft has touched so many different areas of digital world that for once making it suitable for everyone is not easy, so what is it that you expect if I may ask?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion