Can Cortana remind you to take your phone?

JoAndRoPo

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

I have this issue of forgetting my phone at home or somewhere.

I noticed Cortana can remind you of things if you have certain favorite areas in the maps. Like for example, If I tell Cortana to remind me to buy xyz item when I reach the shopping mall which was added in my favorite in the map, she will pop-up the reminder when I reach the shopping mall.

I would like to know can Cortana remind you to take your phone. Maybe if I was planning to go out with my friends and kept my phone somewhere in the house. I would like to tell Cortana to remind me to take my phone when xyz person came over to my house.

For example, I have my friends location shared with me. So if he's somewhere near to me, Cortana will remind me / start a ringtone.

Is this possible?

JoAndRoPo

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't that drive you insane if it went off whenever your friends were nearby?

I'm not sure how it's supposed to work. But I'm thinking of maybe if there where 5 of my friends coming over to my house. I can just say Cortana to remind me to take my phone when Mr. X reaches my home.

It's not necessary it has to be my home. It could be my office, friends place, etc.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What you're asking for isn't currently possible the way you want it since Cortana doesn't know your friends location at any point in time.

This might theoretically be possible in the future - you might want to look at the "Squad Watch" app for an idea. This is an app that allows you to track locations of nominated friends, although they need to be invited into the social circle associated with the app.

Obviously if your friends also leave their phone at home, the whole idea falls apart....

But for now, all you can do is set a timed reminder for when you've arranged for your freinds to arrive.

JoAndRoPo

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
What you're asking for isn't currently possible the way you want it since Cortana doesn't know your friends location at any point in time.

This might theoretically be possible in the future - you might want to look at the "Squad Watch" app for an idea. This is an app that allows you to track locations of nominated friends, although they need to be invited into the social circle associated with the app.

Obviously if your friends also leave their phone at home, the whole idea falls apart....

But for now, all you can do is set a timed reminder for when you've arranged for your freinds to arrive.

So is it also possible to get a reminder to take my phone if I'm wearing a Microsoft Band Watch? Like maybe it's programmed in such a way that if I'm moving a few feet from my phone, I can get a reminder on my Microsoft band watch?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure how it's supposed to work. But I'm thinking of maybe if there where 5 of my friends coming over to my house. I can just say Cortana to remind me to take my phone when Mr. X reaches my home.

It's not necessary it has to be my home. It could be my office, friends place, etc.
What you need is a wife to nag you. Then again, she wouldn't let you leave the house with those 5 friends, so...

Then again, perhaps more brain cells could help? I've often thought that would be useful for myself.
What you could do is get a treasure tag.
Treasure Tag Overview - Microsoft - Global

This is connected to your phone and gives a sound if it is to "far" away from your phone.
That was my first thought when I saw the subject of this thread. BUT, you'd have to remember to take the treasure tag. If it's on your keychain, that's fine IF you're driving and take your keys with you. Otherwise... yeah, more brain cells are needed again. Darn those pesky details. Where were those brain cells when I locked my keys in my car a couple of weeks ago, the car that won't allow you to lock the doors if the keys are inside, but I managed to do it anyway. There it was, keyfob and keys sitting in the driver seat, car locked, and me standing in the snow and freezing rain.

Let's face it. No matter how good tech gets at trying to prevent us from doing dumb things, we will ALWAYS inevitably find a combination of dumb that still works. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon