Can Cortana start apps?

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if Cortana can start other applications by voice. Like "Hey Cortana, Start <appname>" or launch or something like that.... couldn't find any words that would work....

Anyone know if she can do this? I'm on Denim now.

Thanks.

-m

Oh just tested again, you can start "Start <Appname>" with Denim and it works... Have to unlock the phone manually if it is locked.

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
if you have "hey cortana" then u can use that command otherwise just start cortana manually and ask to open an app u wish(hope the app is installed)

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Oh just tested again, you can start "Start <Appname>" with Denim and it works... Have to unlock the phone manually if it is locked.
Yep. For all the back-end smarts, having to unlock then speak kinda makes the function more hassle than it's (currently) worth. And I've still never seen anyone in the wild actually talk to any platform's voice assistants other than to test/demonstrate it. Makes me kinda wonder if voice stuff may head the way of 3D TV. I'd like to be wrong.

Last edited:

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I hear you.. (no pun intended) Voice is kinda awkward still. At least it can do more then ever. I do think it needs to get more "AI" in it to be really useful.

If "Hey Cortana" listening works in my car and then she responds via Bluetooth to my stereo, that would be pretty handy.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Yep. For all the back-end smarts, having to unlock then speak kinda makes the function more hassle than it's (currently) worth. And I've still never seen anyone in the wild actually talk to any of the platform's voice assistants other than to test/demonstrate it. Makes me kinda wonder if voice stuff may head the way of 3D TV. I'd like to be wrong.

You can type the what you want to say but you would have to unlock your phone first

MistyKu

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey, do you have a problem with Cortana like me, that every time when I use Cortana for first time, it doesn't work? Because there is something like freeze. Lumia 625

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium