Hi guys I have a Lumia 820 and my mom has a Lumia 630 she has the Denim update installed and so do I but her Cortana is apparently called Cortana Alpha (the alpha name is located where the beta used to be) and my is Cortana Beta I also don't have the Music recognizing feature in Cortana. Does anybody know what's going on and how I could get Cortana Alpha?
    03-26-2015 01:20 PM
    Seems like your mothers region is set to a region that has the Alpha version Cortana alpha for Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone How-to (India)

To change this.. Simply change everything to US (Language, Speech and Region) > soft reset and that should do it
    03-26-2015 02:06 PM
    I find this amusing because Cortana Alpha isn't as finished as Beta, although it may not be apparent.

What regions are the phones set to?
    ven07 likes this.
    03-26-2015 02:07 PM
    My mom's phone is set to Italy and mine to US
    03-27-2015 05:50 AM
    My mom's phone is set to Italy and mine to US
    Cortana is primarily tied with the phone's region setting. US's Cortana Beta is more complete than most other regions.

Are you sure you're missing the music listen function? It should be there, and have you tried asking "what's playing" as well?
    03-27-2015 12:15 PM
    I've tried numerous times but the reply that I would get is that something was going on with my network( it was actually bull**** my network worked well and the feature wasn't working)
    03-27-2015 12:41 PM
    I've tried numerous times but the reply that I would get is that something was going on with my network( it was actually bull**** my network worked well and the feature wasn't working)
    I'm (obviously) suspecting something's up with the network- do other Cortana features work?

Well, I suppose you can try changing your region to Italy (I'm on my phone, so I'm going off of memory) and see how that works?
    Laura Knotek and ven07 like this.
    03-27-2015 03:45 PM
    If the network was the issue then why in my mom's phone the music recognition works like a charm???All the other cortana features work!!!Now I've changed the lanuage to Italian the Region to Italy and I am installing the language update for Cortana If anything changes I'll let you know!
    03-28-2015 02:39 AM
    If the network was the issue then why in my mom's phone the music recognition works like a charm???All the other cortana features work!!!Now I've changed the lanuage to Italian the Region to Italy and I am installing the language update for Cortana If anything changes I'll let you know!
    I don't know! Region can very well be a factor!
    OK Let us know!!!!!
    ven07 likes this.
    03-28-2015 01:54 PM
    I've tried but nothing worked :( Shiet :( The name changed to Cortana Alpha but maybe Alpha means Beta in Italian... Probably I'll stick to Shazam!!!
    03-29-2015 03:38 AM
    LOL 😁 !! No Alpha doesn't mean beta in Italian. Alpha is a testing stage that comes before beta and hence, has less features and reliability. Change your region to UK perhaps where Cortana is in beta and u'll probably get the music recognition feature again.
    ven07 and xandros9 like this.
    03-29-2015 03:46 AM
    Music recognition in cortana will not be available if ur xbox id's location is not USA

http://forums.windowscentral.com/cor...tana-bing.html
    ven07 and Thos Parkouristas like this.
    03-29-2015 03:47 AM
    My phone is setted up to US and for example if i ask cortana what's this song the recognition starts but then a message pops up and tells me "I can't get to the internet right now. Make sure you're connected, then try again"
    03-29-2015 01:22 PM
    Thank you man!!! I finally made it!!! Music Recognition Works!!! Thanks!!!
    xandros9 and ven07 like this.
    03-29-2015 03:37 PM