"RINGER OFF" = Speech Disabled?

nCogNeato

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
When listening to music or podcasts from my Lumia 1520 with headphones, I noticed my ringer/text alert would still come out of my phone speaker instead of my headphones. As to not disturb coworkers, I selected "RINGER OFF". But now I've noticed that while "RINGER OFF" is selected, Cortana no longer reads texts aloud into my headphones.

This isn't a huge problem, as I glance at my phone regularly to see if I've missed any calls/texts. I was just curious if this is by design, or a glitch. Does silencing the ringer supposed to disable Speech? Anyone else experience this?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
My gut tells me it's by design because Ringer Off means you do not want to be interpreted so that includes Cortina's talking.
On the other hand that the ringer does not go to the headphone should be a design mistake. But that said if you got the full ringer volume on your headset is also not a pleasant experience.
But what if you set the ringer OFF but vibration ON what happens then?

nCogNeato

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
My gut tells me it's by design because Ringer Off means you do not want to be interpreted so that includes Cortina's talking.
On the other hand that the ringer does not go to the headphone should be a design mistake. But that said if you got the full ringer volume on your headset is also not a pleasant experience.
But what if you set the ringer OFF but vibration ON what happens then?

I think you're right.

I wouldn't need Cortana to announce incoming messages into my headphones if I didn't have to mute my ringer.

I wouldn't need to mute my ringer if my ringer/notifications alerts would play through my headphones instead of my speaker.

One or the other would solve my problem, but somehow Nokia/MS managed to break both. :angry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon