07-16-2015 08:51 AM
42 12
tools
    Do NOT hard reset...it is a waste of time (unless you really need to). This is a server thing on Microsoft's end. BTW, how did you get GDR2. I see so many people with it but I have no clue how to get it on my Icon....
    Philip_17 likes this.
    05-26-2015 12:26 PM
    I also have the same issue on my 1520, and a hard reset did not fix the problem.
    05-26-2015 03:51 PM
    When you go to the MS Answers site, you will notice that you are not the only one and none of the solutions are solutions, just compromises or non-answers. I have pretty much given up for the time being, hopefully when the Beta tag is removed it will actually works as its supposed to.

Out of curiosity, do any of the music commands work for you? How about responding to text messages? I get the bing search for all music commands and can only make it half way through the text messages/calls (wont 'send' the message and will never hear me when I say which number to call - mobile/home/work).
    Funny, anything related directly to the phone works for me. (ie text, music, app launching commands)
    05-26-2015 03:55 PM
    Funny, anything related directly to the phone works for me. (ie text, music, app launching commands)
    Some of the 'fun' stuff works for me, like 'whats up', 'whats the score of the ___ game?', 'tell me a joke' etc. But useful stuff like, 'open/play music', call/text does not.

I just tested the call feature again too:

'Call'
    Who would you like to call?
    'John Smith'
    Which number - mobile or work?
    'Work',
    Mobile or work?
    'Work'
    Sorry, I didnt get that - mobile or work?
    'Mobile'
    Sorry, im not getting it.

The built in TellMe service can complete this, so its not an issue with the mics - its Cortana.
    05-26-2015 04:30 PM
    Do NOT hard reset...it is a waste of time (unless you really need to). This is a server thing on Microsoft's end. BTW, how did you get GDR2. I see so many people with it but I have no clue how to get it on my Icon....
    When I tried to upgrade to Windows 10, my 920 received the GDR2 update first. Then I decided not to install Windows 10 and just stay on GDR2. I just needed to do a hard reset, in order to avoid Windows 10 to automatically install.
    jrdatrackstar1223 likes this.
    05-26-2015 04:50 PM
    Gotcha. Yea, went that route and ended up getting Windows 10 without GDR2 on my Icon.....

poo.....
    05-27-2015 09:30 AM
    I currently can't get questions involving "when does the ______ game start tonight?", I.e. Anything involving news and whatnot. But weather works. So idk what's going on. You would think if it's a server issue, that everyone would have the sane problem.
    05-27-2015 06:47 PM
    hmm, does everyone who have this problem have win10 installed on their PC? I'm trying to recall if this happened around the same time as that installation.
    05-28-2015 12:26 AM
    hmm, does everyone who have this problem have win10 installed on their PC? I'm trying to recall if this happened around the same time as that installation.
    I have Windows 10 on my laptop (which hasn't been turned on in a while) and I also have it on my Lumia 635. That was my original hypothesis was that it has to do with having Cortana on both Windows 10 (PC or phone or both) and our 8.1 devices (which involves the most recent updates). Prior to May 14 (the Windows 10 Mobile update), I was able to have Win10 on phone, laptop, and 8.1 on my Icon and Cortana still worked fine. This has led me to believe that the recent pushes they are making to Cortana for Win10 is effecting those who have Cortana running on 8.1/10 devices at the same time.
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    05-28-2015 09:19 AM
    It seems the problem has been solved! It's working again for me!
    05-29-2015 06:11 AM
    It seems that it is indeed! Thanks!
    05-29-2015 06:26 AM
    Working for me as well!!
    05-29-2015 06:43 AM
    Here as well. Working again. MS, you just got another chance 😉
    05-31-2015 11:34 AM
    I just started seeing this happen too. It occurs across all devices. WP8.1, my Windows 8.1 and Bing.com

When I enter simple math equations like 2+2 I get a web search instant of the instant answer.
    06-03-2015 10:52 AM
    I just started seeing this happen too. It occurs across all devices. WP8.1, my Windows 8.1 and Bing.com

When I enter simple math equations like 2+2 I get a web search instant of the instant answer.
    I would start with the basics, such as soft reset. Then I would try the clearing of data (Cortana cloud and phone storage data) if soft resets don't help. If those things don't work, and you don't mind taking the plunge and restoring, a hard rest may work. Other than that, it is a server problem because many of us had the exact same problem, at the exact same time, and it started working again at the exact same time.
    06-05-2015 01:22 PM
    After accidentally installing Windows 10 to my Icon, I recovered it back to 8.1. Ever since then Cortana has only shown Bing results to commands like "I need directions to work", "How long will it take to get to (x)?", "How far away is is (x)?", and questions like that. I have hard reset, cleared all cloud/interests, phone data, hard resetted without restoring from a back up, etc. Nothing had worked so far. Has anyone else had these this before?
    I am just guessing but this might correct: When you upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile TP, it downloads all the setup files including the speech and keyboard language packs customized for Windows 10 TP. But when you go back to Windows phone 8.1, may be the speech and keyboard language packs are corrupted or not present.

So try to uninstall the language pack and download them again when you are on windows phone 8.1. This can fix it.
    07-16-2015 03:23 AM
    I am just guessing but this might correct: When you upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile TP, it downloads all the setup files including the speech and keyboard language packs customized for Windows 10 TP. But when you go back to Windows phone 8.1, may be the speech and keyboard language packs are corrupted or not present.

It's been resolved for a while now, thanks. It was a server-side issue on Microsoft's end, but they ended up fixing it. It had nothing to do with Win10 on my phone but rather Microsoft and their Cortana servers.
    So try to uninstall the language pack and download them again when you are on windows phone 8.1. This can fix it.
    07-16-2015 08:51 AM
42 12