Cortana only showing Bing results

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
After accidentally installing Windows 10 to my Icon, I recovered it back to 8.1. Ever since then Cortana has only shown Bing results to commands like "I need directions to work", "How long will it take to get to (x)?", "How far away is is (x)?", and questions like that. I have hard reset, cleared all cloud/interests, phone data, hard resetted without restoring from a back up, etc. Nothing had worked so far. Has anyone else had these this before?

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't have an answer, but I understand the issue. It happens occasionally to me. For example, if you say "what's the weather like today?" rather than Cortana answering it conversationally, she gives you Bing search results for the phrase "what's the weather like today?"

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't have an answer, but I understand the issue. It happens occasionally to me. For example, if you say "what's the weather like today?" rather than Cortana answering it conversationally, she gives you Bing search results for the phrase "what's the weather like today?"

YES exactly. This has started happening ever since I went back to 8.1 and I can't get her to give me "Cortana answer" contextual based conversations/options anymore. She used to automatically open Here Drive+ when I asked for directions somewhere. Now, she just returns Bing search results.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I get for those searches:

View attachment 104864
View attachment 104865

I do. What's even funnier is when I do the same queries on my Lumia 635 with Windows 10 it works just fine. I think something may have gotten damaged on my phone when I restored Windows Phone 8.1. I've restored it like 10 times and there has been a problem each time. I wonder what could've gotten messed up in my hardware to where Cortana no longer works like this...?

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Now that the problem is adequately defined, hopefully someone has an answer. I'm not sure why Cortana would work one way and not the other. How long have been back on 8.1? Perhaps it takes some time? I'm not really sure. I do know that even though mine is functioning properly, sometimes it gives me Bing results when it should give me a conversational answer.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Now that the problem is adequately defined, hopefully someone has an answer. I'm not sure why Cortana would work one way and not the other. How long have been back on 8.1? Perhaps it takes some time? I'm not really sure. I do know that even though mine is functioning properly, sometimes it gives me Bing results when it should give me a conversational answer.

It started happening the day after Windows 10 was pushed out. I restored my Icon to 8.1 the next day and ever since it has had this problem. It was the worst over the weekend when I needed. I have tried hard resets, clearing data, not restoring from back, etc...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So I updated my Lumia Icon back to WP10 to see if Cortana worked on it. Sure enough, she worked perfectly fine. She gave me directions to work, weather, etc in "Cortana" conversation and not just Bing search results. I recovered my phone back to WP 8.1 Denim on my Icon and immediately I was back to not having Cortana working and only showing Bing search results......

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, they surely did respond fast. They told me to post it to the Microsoft Answers forum and see if I can get help there. Hopefully they'll have answers.

When you go to the MS Answers site, you will notice that you are not the only one and none of the solutions are solutions, just compromises or non-answers. I have pretty much given up for the time being, hopefully when the Beta tag is removed it will actually works as its supposed to.

Out of curiosity, do any of the music commands work for you? How about responding to text messages? I get the bing search for all music commands and can only make it half way through the text messages/calls (wont 'send' the message and will never hear me when I say which number to call - mobile/home/work).

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
When you go to the MS Answers site, you will notice that you are not the only one and none of the solutions are solutions, just compromises or non-answers. I have pretty much given up for the time being, hopefully when the Beta tag is removed it will actually works as its supposed to.

Out of curiosity, do any of the music commands work for you? How about responding to text messages? I get the bing search for all music commands and can only make it half way through the text messages/calls (wont 'send' the message and will never hear me when I say which number to call - mobile/home/work).

Haven't tried music yet. Text messages, calls, etc work fine ("text (x), call (x)"). She even gave me a reminder to leave for one of my appointments. She also works on location-based reminders, as I still get a reminder when I get home or work of things I remind myself of. I'm glad I'm not the only person with this problem, and someone else on here said they hadn't even updated to Windows 10 and is having the issue...

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Haven't tried music yet. Text messages, calls, etc work fine ("text (x), call (x)"). She even gave me a reminder to leave for one of my appointments. She also works on location-based reminders, as I still get a reminder when I get home or work of things I remind myself of. I'm glad I'm not the only person with this problem, and someone else on here said they hadn't even updated to Windows 10 and is having the issue...

I do get all location/people based reminders, and the occasional 'time to leave' reminder. For texting, I can dictate the message, but it was always get caught on 'send, add more, try again' prompt. Calling, i can get to the contact, but can never pick which number. Music just flat out doesnt work and I have tried all possible commands.

What makes this all very annoying is that if I turn off Cortana and use the old TellMe service, it all works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss