Has Microsoft pulled a fast one on us?

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I find the only people who worry about Big Brother seeing things, are people who are doing things they should not be doing.

The internet runs off of gathering information, so companies can get things seen by people who may want buy things.

If you do not wish Big Data to gather your stats, go live in the woods off grid like the Uni bomber, Don't forget your Tin Foil hat because Big Brother has Gear in orbit that read your brain waves, and make you crave KFC/Coke/Gas Hogging SUV's/ and Taylor Swift CD's.

Way to be c about a real life issue. You seem like the person to just give away all of your rights away because "you don't have anything to hide".
Yes because the government or companies in the world have your personal life interests and personal information in their best interest. Get real.

You may think that because people don't want the government watching their every move means that they have something to hide is ridiculous and means you are still a sheep which the government and corporations love. If you really knew what was going on you wouldn't have been so condescending to the poster above. Seems like you're the one with the foil tin hat. Which Is ironic to those who are aware of these things.
But I'll stop there...those who don't understand or fail to educate themselves about the dangers of government or companies collecting data about you and those defending it and passing it on as simply to make their "advertisements" better are naive at best and will always see those like me and the posters above as fools/tin-hat people.

This is usually the way it is in the world..its sad..but reality. The truth is not for everyone and its easier to live as if you know it. Comfortable I guess. Ignorance truly is bliss. Have a good day. Wouldn't be surprised if my this post got some sarcastic comments and "tinfoil alert"...that's to be expected by those in the dark. Good day.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Way to be c about a real life issue. You seem like the person to just give away all of your rights away because "you don't have anything to hide".
Yes because the government or companies in the world have your personal life interests and personal information in their best interest. Get real.

You may think that because people don't want the government watching their every move means that they have something to hide is ridiculous and means you are still a sheep which the government and corporations love. If you really knew what was going on you wouldn't have been so condescending to the poster above. Seems like you're the one with the foil tin hat. Which Is ironic to those who are aware of these things.

But I'll stop there...those who don't understand or fail to educate themselves about the dangers of government or companies collecting data about you and those defending it and passing it on as simply to make their "advertisements" better are naive at best and will always see those like me and the posters above as fools/tin-hat people.

This is usually the way it is in the world..its sad..but reality. The truth is not for everyone and its easier to live as if you know it. Comfortable I guess. Ignorance truly is bliss. Have a good day. Wouldn't be surprised if my this post got some sarcastic comments and "tinfoil alert"...that's to be expected by those in the dark. Good day.

Most who bash on about Big Brother are the same who download movies without paying for them. Why are companies who that Hide your IP# doing so well. We are not all R&D workers with big money secrets to hide form the other companies, or the "I Live in Canada and want USA NetFlix" group.

You seem so well Educated on this topic, I wish you would go on !!!!!!

So we can hear about how (Insert the name of the President at the time), has a plan to take Guns away from the Masses, put people in "Death Camps"..........Freemen, Alex Jones yadda yadda yadda.

Maybe your in with the Art Bell groups.....Area 51 has under ground hidden Labs where they are rebuilding the crashed UFO's.

Maybe you enjoy Person of Interest a little to much, shhhhhhh don't tell the others, it's not a documentary!

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Most who bash on about Big Brother are the same who download movies without paying for them. Why are companies who that Hide your IP# doing so well. We are not all R&D workers with big money secrets to hide form the other companies, or the "I Live in Canada and want USA NetFlix" group.

You seem so well Educated on this topic, I wish you would go on !!!!!!

So we can hear about how (Insert the name of the President at the time), has a plan to take Guns away from the Masses, put people in "Death Camps"..........Freemen, Alex Jones yadda yadda yadda.

Maybe your in with the Art Bell groups.....Area 51 has under ground hidden Labs where they are rebuilding the crashed UFO's.

Maybe you enjoy Person of Interest a little to much, shhhhhhh don't tell the others, it's not a documentary!

Lol. Here you go again broadly casting your ignorance and with so much confidence and a condescending attitude. I guess you're one of the people who believe there is no corruption in the government at all and everything they say is the truth and end all despite of alll the evidence against this. You're a true delusional sheep. And you're proud of it.

And to entertain you even more, I'm not from America or Canada, but seems like I know more of their corrupt tactics and past than you do.

Only if you took the time to educate yourself about what's happening and what has happened in the real world would you understand but that requires admitting that you're wrong and seeing things for what they are. But your pride is too big and your stuck in your sheep mindset where you're so comfortable living in a bubble that you simply don't care and make fun of others who are trying to shed some light.

And besides, I don't ever recall anyone here mentioning aliens or area 51 anywhere. Don't know where you were going with that in your attempt to be sarcastic but oh well. Learn your history. That's the least you deserve to do for yourself as a human being.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to anyone if this got off topic but its a dangerous mindset to have thinking that your personal information is"no big deal". It's because you haven't suffered anything negative from it..at least not yet. But anyways. Hope people get the gist of this.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to anyone if this got off topic but its a dangerous mindset to have thinking that your personal information is"no big deal". It's because you haven't suffered anything negative from it..at least not yet. But anyways. Hope people get the gist of this.

Hmmm

What do you say could be a negative consequence of companies having our data?

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not getting into advertising, government, NSA, Nephilim or Illuminati here, but do have a tip.

Always buy the industrial grade tinfoil, well if you are on LTE anyway. The store brand stuff on the bottom shelf is fine if you're on 4G or more inferior.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not getting into advertising, government, NSA, Nephilim or Illuminati here, but do have a tip.

Always buy the industrial grade tinfoil, well if you are on LTE anyway. The store brand stuff on the bottom shelf is fine if you're on 4G or more inferior.

Typical reply...how original 😂😂 Man you're lame. But good try 😏

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
No its not obvious.

As much as I would humor the sort of suspicious things (I play Deus Ex) I think you're trying to draw connections to fit a predetermined situation where there are none.

She's personified to be a better assistant with the potential fringe benefit of what you're saying.

Cortana is not Bing. Cortana is powered by Bing.
Well you know, Google Now is a great service, but I don't think they stick ads in the cards there.

I understand the sentiment, but you're grabbing at straws. A major factor she's called Cortana is that the community pestered MS for it. No its not like there was a round table of illuminati folks thinking. "OK men, we need a fancy name for this assistant so people will throw data at us"
MS is made up of people. If I worked in the Cortana team, I'd champion Cortana because its a good name, people like it, etc. Not for the sake of "ohoho ads ads ads!"

Bing exists to offer data and searches. It also sells the potential eyeballs it gets to advertisers. Metadata is for better targeting, which is more valuable to advertisers. Trying to sell me a fancy new purse doesn't help anyone. Trying to sell me a phone, maybe, is more relevant.

MS's chief goal is making money. If one way is through ads, sure. If they cross a line, OK watch the storm happen. But that's not conducive to money-making.

Lol, yes the people making these things are just creative types like us. Just normal people wanted to express their creative talents.

Besides, without a good digital assistant WP would be dead in the water.

Someone could come up with an aluminum foil hat OS but it wouldn't do much.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm

What do you say could be a negative consequence of companies having our data?

Depends on the companies and the data. Some companies/entities require your social security number for something, and they don't always have premium security installed on their stuff. So the chances of identity theft is a real and vexing concern. I remain very concerned about my own personal data such as numbers, passwords, and biographicals. Dietary habits not so much. Cortana can have those if she can recommend me a good pub.

I'm sorry to say, but the new 700 MHz that TMO is rolling out will blast through the nice basic tinfoil. I'd recommend a solid lead helmet. Might protect from cell phone radiation as well. Who knows.

tl;dr: Microsoft doesn't pull fast ones.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
In order for a personal assistant to be helpful, she would have to be quite fond of you and have info on you, wouldn't she?

And shouldn't this be on Android Central. Google is notorious for selling user data

Microsoft just last year went back and forth with the federal government because they didn't want to hand over Consumer data stored in Ireland... Not saying this necessarily means much as far as correlation to the OP's accusations go, but I felt it was something worth bringing up

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...t-must-turn-over-data-stored-in-ireland/?_r=0

xibartx

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
fast one? maybe... the long con? definitely...but just like any entity with billions of dollars.....some foreign governments I am sure have much more info on you than MS/Apple/Google....scared yet? feeling helpless? cortana doesn't give them any more info than they can get already...feel safe yet? someone's got your data if you send it out there...the more convenience the more risk I guess you could say....remember when you didn't need loyalty cars to get the deals at the grocer? where does it end?....does it keep me up at night? no

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Every time you use a service or purchase a good your info is being spread..

When you purchase something from a store with a card, that store now has your card info.

Does that mean they're going to do crazy stuff with it? No
That would be illegal in one or many ways

When you have a plumber come to your house
That service now knows where you live, your payment information, and probably a few other things
What can that plumbing service possibly do with that info to harm you without breaking the law, and or ruining their reputation and going out of business.

Don't even get me started on how much a company learns abut you through browsing the web and then god forbid PURCASING/ORDERING something

We live in a connected world, and like said before by other folk this stuff is nothing new

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Wow.
Just imagine how evil all these companies are, using information for all sorts of purposes.
If only there were some sort of legally enforceable, easy to access, opt-in set of terms and conditions that users had to accept before using such services.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Personally I'm not worried about Cortana knowing more about me.
Its not in Microsoft's core strategy to data mine your personal data for financial gain unlike Google & Google Now. Google have based their business model around user data, Microsoft haven't.

At least with Microsoft you have a choice: disable Cortana & delete your data via Bing if you're not happy.
Try stopping Google knowing all about you without completely halting use of their services.

G.

23kid

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Do I really care if Microsoft know what my favourite restaurant is?

If you don't want personalised search results, save yourself some cash and get a 3310 :grin:

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Why do people even care about personal data, chill out guys, it's not like they are watching YOU. I couldn't care less. Those personalized ads on FB actually helped me Lol.

I don't have anything to hide.
This is like saying you couldn't care less about free speech since you have nothing to say. Thank God not everyone is as apathetic as you.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Lol. Here you go again broadly casting your ignorance and with so much confidence and a condescending attitude. I guess you're one of the people who believe there is no corruption in the government at all and everything they say is the truth and end all despite of alll the evidence against this. You're a true delusional sheep. And you're proud of it.

And to entertain you even more, I'm not from America or Canada, but seems like I know more of their corrupt tactics and past than you do.

Only if you took the time to educate yourself about what's happening and what has happened in the real world would you understand but that requires admitting that you're wrong and seeing things for what they are. But your pride is too big and your stuck in your sheep mindset where you're so comfortable living in a bubble that you simply don't care and make fun of others who are trying to shed some light.

And besides, I don't ever recall anyone here mentioning aliens or area 51 anywhere. Don't know where you were going with that in your attempt to be sarcastic but oh well. Learn your history. That's the least you deserve to do for yourself as a human being.

I am going to be nice about this......
Please do not even try to tell me to educate myself on any topic, as I have walked this earth for some time now. From reading your posts my guess is you are either late Teen's maybe early 20's ( feel free to correct me on this), and you have the truth and the light on the world.
I still remember being a kid and watching Armstrong walking on the moon, live on a state of the art Black and White TV......Color TV was only for the super rich back then.

Any way when you have paid taxes for as many years as I have then you may call into question what I may or may not know of the world. But to be honest, I more than likely have socks older then you.

Just in my life time alone the changes I have seen with my own eyes. When you have seen as much, then you may take the attitude you have toward me and any comments I make.

Have your self a nice day and may you go in peace!!

Last edited:

23kid

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I am going to be nice about this......
Please do not even try to tell me to educate myself on any topic, as I have walked this earth for some time now. From reading your posts my guess is you are either late Teen's maybe early 20's ( feel free to correct me on this), and you have the truth and the light on the world.
I still remember being a kid and watching Armstrong walking on the moon, live on a state of the art Black and White TV......Color TV was only for the super rich back then.

Any way when you have paid taxes for as many years as I have then you may call into question what I may or may not know of the world. But to be honest, I more then likely have socks older then you.

Just in my life time alone the changes I have seen with my own eyes. When you have seen as much, then you may take the attitude you have toward me and any comments I make.

Have your self a nice day and may you go in peace!!

Although I agree 100% with these comments; I can't resist when people start fighting from behind keyboards...

Lived for all these years, yet still don't know the difference between 'then' and 'than'

:evil:

Also impressed you remember watching the moon landing when you were 2 years old (if your username is indeed based on your DOB).

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me or do others find that the supposed "targeted" advertising I get is frequently hopelessly off the mark? If I were paying for these targeted ads I would be upset. One funny example is that I frequently see ads for StraightTalk Android phones on sale--you would think that the fact I am using a Windows phone to view the ads would be a tip off as to my preferred phone type.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb