07-16-2015 10:15 AM
56 123
tools
    What’s the difference between personalizing your experience and handing over your personal info to an advertising company, when the same people who make your phone sell you ads on it? Microsoft may not be able to match the market share of Android, but like iPhone, it can be more profitable. Whether consciously or not, Microsoft is slowly building their platform around Cortana. The reason being that nobody wants to "hand over personal information to Microsoft”, but “telling Cortana" where you work, what you do, and the fact that you like Indian food can feel natural and harmless. | read the rest here: Microsoft's not-so-secret plan to get us to hand over our data
    Last edited by Wasim Wes Adetunji; 06-14-2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: sexual attraction to word processors
    06-14-2015 12:53 AM
    and the tinfoil helmets have returned.

Cortana doesn't send ANY of what you tell her to Microsoft, it never leaves your device, it saves all the info it gathers into her "notebook" which is basically just a text file.
    mrzees and Dave47 like this.
    06-14-2015 03:30 AM
    We are not handing our data over to MS, is stored on Cortana's notebook
    06-14-2015 04:01 AM
    and the tinfoil helmets have returned.

Cortana doesn't send ANY of what you tell her to Microsoft, it never leaves your device, it saves all the info it gathers into her "notebook" which is basically just a text file.
    mmm, so she doesn't search the internet for what you've asked about, and download results to your devices ?

look at radio shack, and what they are doing
    06-14-2015 04:29 AM
    And this is different from searching online yourself and having the information sent to your phone, how? Cortana doesn't send your information to Microsoft, and your ISP can already see exactly which sites you visit if they wanted to. Look up the "super cookie" for example.
    06-14-2015 05:06 AM
    Like any search engine, Cortana goes online to get results.
    All your info is stored on the device, just as it would if you saved them to your hard drive on your PC.
    06-14-2015 05:07 AM
    I don't have a problem with Cortana sending data to MS

But how can the data only be stored locally in the notebook, Cortana is going to sync between all Win 10 devices, so surely this means the data is stored online at MS?
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-14-2015 05:14 AM
    Why do people even care about personal data, chill out guys, it's not like they are watching YOU. I couldn't care less. Those personalized ads on FB actually helped me Lol.

I don't have anything to hide.

This it's getting out of control..
    06-14-2015 05:29 AM
    Yeah, nobody said this was a bad thing. Just remember that Cortana is really Bing, and the purpose thereof is to sell us ads. And the reason she has a name is so that we become comfortable with it.
    06-14-2015 08:33 AM
    I don't have a problem with Cortana sending data to MS

But how can the data only be stored locally in the notebook, Cortana is going to sync between all Win 10 devices, so surely this means the data is stored online at MS?
    wipe a phone or tablet, then sync it.... bam all your data is there. yes, your info is stored online.
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    06-14-2015 08:34 AM
    Does that change any of what I said? She's personified in order to make us comfortable with improving search results in order to sell us more ads.

It's kind of obvious ..
    920Walker likes this.
    06-14-2015 08:35 AM
    It syncs between devices using the cloud.
    06-14-2015 08:39 AM
    Does that change any of what I said? She's personified in order to make us comfortable with improving search results in order to sell us more ads.

It's kind of obvious ..
    No its not obvious.

As much as I would humor the sort of suspicious things (I play Deus Ex) I think you're trying to draw connections to fit a predetermined situation where there are none.

She's personified to be a better assistant with the potential fringe benefit of what you're saying.

Cortana is not Bing. Cortana is powered by Bing.
    Well you know, Google Now is a great service, but I don't think they stick ads in the cards there.

I understand the sentiment, but you're grabbing at straws. A major factor she's called Cortana is that the community pestered MS for it. No its not like there was a round table of illuminati folks thinking. "OK men, we need a fancy name for this assistant so people will throw data at us"
    MS is made up of people. If I worked in the Cortana team, I'd champion Cortana because its a good name, people like it, etc. Not for the sake of "ohoho ads ads ads!"

Bing exists to offer data and searches. It also sells the potential eyeballs it gets to advertisers. Metadata is for better targeting, which is more valuable to advertisers. Trying to sell me a fancy new purse doesn't help anyone. Trying to sell me a phone, maybe, is more relevant.

MS's chief goal is making money. If one way is through ads, sure. If they cross a line, OK watch the storm happen. But that's not conducive to money-making.
    06-14-2015 11:39 AM
    I find it amusing that everyone speaks on how other companies do it but have no solid proof of Cortana implementing said practices.
    Ian Too likes this.
    06-14-2015 02:38 PM
    This honestly doesn't matter to me...

OMG OH NO! MICROSOFT KNOWS THAT I LOOKED UP NEARBY MOVIE THEATRES!

What is the real harm in it all
    mary beth hale likes this.
    06-14-2015 02:49 PM
    Collecting and reselling meta data has been a thing for many years - way before smartphones became ubiquitous. Credit card usage patterns, shopping loyalty cards, even magazine subscriptions.

Granted, smartphones provide the capability to ramp this up several orders of magnitude, but the concept is nothing new. In general, the public accepts it and tacitly approves it if there's an appearance of a tit for tat benefit for doing so.

To accuse Microsoft of pulling a fast one is ignoring the history of retail and marketing over the last 60 or so years....
    06-14-2015 03:31 PM
    I have a question. Did you pull a fast one on us in hopes someone here will comment/vote on your article? You could have posted the entire rant here, instead of leading us on a wild chase to the redditian realms of Dantian Hell. This issue has been brought up countless times, and explained countless times. We live in a digital world where our personal information is floating around. Amazon, Sony, MS, Discover, Visa, Google all mine your data, and pretty much state it outright. Even paypal does it.

No corporation "unconsciously" does something. It IS building all services around the internet of things, and Microsoft is very proud of that fact. The future is indeed an interconnected digital future where your identity will become as public here as it is in the analog realm. I, for one, welcome our new digital overlords, and would love to remind them I can be useful as a consumer of media of various types.
    06-14-2015 04:43 PM
    Lol you guys are worrying for nothing. No one is going to use the data against you. Seriously, you guys are being babies
    mary beth hale likes this.
    06-14-2015 05:20 PM
    Big Brother arrived years ago... If you don't like it, sell everything and live in a cave!!!!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-14-2015 06:20 PM
    I find the only people who worry about Big Brother seeing things, are people who are doing things they should not be doing.

The internet runs off of gathering information, so companies can get things seen by people who may want buy things.

If you do not wish Big Data to gather your stats, go live in the woods off grid like the Uni bomber, Don't forget your Tin Foil hat because Big Brother has Gear in orbit that read your brain waves, and make you crave KFC/Coke/Gas Hogging SUV's/ and Taylor Swift CD's.
    RumoredNow and Geddeeee like this.
    06-14-2015 07:40 PM
    I find the only people who worry about Big Brother seeing things, are people who are doing things they should not be doing.

The internet runs off of gathering information, so companies can get things seen by people who may want buy things.

If you do not wish Big Data to gather your stats, go live in the woods off grid like the Uni bomber, Don't forget your Tin Foil hat because Big Brother has Gear in orbit that read your brain waves, and make you crave KFC/Coke/Gas Hogging SUV's/ and Taylor Swift CD's.
    Way to be c about a real life issue. You seem like the person to just give away all of your rights away because "you don't have anything to hide".
    Yes because the government or companies in the world have your personal life interests and personal information in their best interest. Get real.

You may think that because people don't want the government watching their every move means that they have something to hide is ridiculous and means you are still a sheep which the government and corporations love. If you really knew what was going on you wouldn't have been so condescending to the poster above. Seems like you're the one with the foil tin hat. Which Is ironic to those who are aware of these things.

But I'll stop there...those who don't understand or fail to educate themselves about the dangers of government or companies collecting data about you and those defending it and passing it on as simply to make their "advertisements" better are naive at best and will always see those like me and the posters above as fools/tin-hat people.

This is usually the way it is in the world..its sad..but reality. The truth is not for everyone and its easier to live as if you know it. Comfortable I guess. Ignorance truly is bliss. Have a good day. Wouldn't be surprised if my this post got some sarcastic comments and "tinfoil alert"...that's to be expected by those in the dark. Good day.
    920Walker and Tom Snyder like this.
    06-14-2015 08:14 PM
    Way to be c about a real life issue. You seem like the person to just give away all of your rights away because "you don't have anything to hide".
    Yes because the government or companies in the world have your personal life interests and personal information in their best interest. Get real.

You may think that because people don't want the government watching their every move means that they have something to hide is ridiculous and means you are still a sheep which the government and corporations love. If you really knew what was going on you wouldn't have been so condescending to the poster above. Seems like you're the one with the foil tin hat. Which Is ironic to those who are aware of these things.

But I'll stop there...those who don't understand or fail to educate themselves about the dangers of government or companies collecting data about you and those defending it and passing it on as simply to make their "advertisements" better are naive at best and will always see those like me and the posters above as fools/tin-hat people.

This is usually the way it is in the world..its sad..but reality. The truth is not for everyone and its easier to live as if you know it. Comfortable I guess. Ignorance truly is bliss. Have a good day. Wouldn't be surprised if my this post got some sarcastic comments and "tinfoil alert"...that's to be expected by those in the dark. Good day.
    Most who bash on about Big Brother are the same who download movies without paying for them. Why are companies who that Hide your IP# doing so well. We are not all R&D workers with big money secrets to hide form the other companies, or the "I Live in Canada and want USA NetFlix" group.

You seem so well Educated on this topic, I wish you would go on !!!!!!

So we can hear about how (Insert the name of the President at the time), has a plan to take Guns away from the Masses, put people in "Death Camps"..........Freemen, Alex Jones yadda yadda yadda.

Maybe your in with the Art Bell groups.....Area 51 has under ground hidden Labs where they are rebuilding the crashed UFO's.

Maybe you enjoy Person of Interest a little to much, shhhhhhh don't tell the others, it's not a documentary!
    06-14-2015 08:32 PM
    Most who bash on about Big Brother are the same who download movies without paying for them. Why are companies who that Hide your IP# doing so well. We are not all R&D workers with big money secrets to hide form the other companies, or the "I Live in Canada and want USA NetFlix" group.

You seem so well Educated on this topic, I wish you would go on !!!!!!

So we can hear about how (Insert the name of the President at the time), has a plan to take Guns away from the Masses, put people in "Death Camps"..........Freemen, Alex Jones yadda yadda yadda.

Maybe your in with the Art Bell groups.....Area 51 has under ground hidden Labs where they are rebuilding the crashed UFO's.

Maybe you enjoy Person of Interest a little to much, shhhhhhh don't tell the others, it's not a documentary!
    Lol. Here you go again broadly casting your ignorance and with so much confidence and a condescending attitude. I guess you're one of the people who believe there is no corruption in the government at all and everything they say is the truth and end all despite of alll the evidence against this. You're a true delusional sheep. And you're proud of it.

And to entertain you even more, I'm not from America or Canada, but seems like I know more of their corrupt tactics and past than you do.

Only if you took the time to educate yourself about what's happening and what has happened in the real world would you understand but that requires admitting that you're wrong and seeing things for what they are. But your pride is too big and your stuck in your sheep mindset where you're so comfortable living in a bubble that you simply don't care and make fun of others who are trying to shed some light.

And besides, I don't ever recall anyone here mentioning aliens or area 51 anywhere. Don't know where you were going with that in your attempt to be sarcastic but oh well. Learn your history. That's the least you deserve to do for yourself as a human being.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    06-14-2015 08:53 PM
    Sorry to anyone if this got off topic but its a dangerous mindset to have thinking that your personal information is"no big deal". It's because you haven't suffered anything negative from it..at least not yet. But anyways. Hope people get the gist of this.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    06-14-2015 08:57 PM
    Sorry to anyone if this got off topic but its a dangerous mindset to have thinking that your personal information is"no big deal". It's because you haven't suffered anything negative from it..at least not yet. But anyways. Hope people get the gist of this.
    Hmmm

What do you say could be a negative consequence of companies having our data?
    06-14-2015 10:25 PM
56 123