Enable Cortana from outside a supported region

tejazz

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,
I live in India and after installing Windows 10 yesterday, and found that Cortana is not available in my region yet.

I've tried changing all of the following to United States/US English and restarting my PC, but the option to enable/disable Cortana is still greyed out in the search bar settings.
- Region
- Keyboard
- Speech
- Language
- Time Zone
- Bing settings (from website)

Anyone from outside a supported region successfully enable Cortana yet?

Last edited:

ericmackrodt

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here. Updated Windows 8.1 Pro in Portuguese-Brazilian to Windows 10 Pro in Portuguese-Brazilian then changed EVERYTHING to English (United States). I mean, I'm 100% sure I changed everything, looked at many posts on the web, tried everything and I can't get Cortana to work!!
My Windows is 110% en-US now.
Do you think that maybe it's because the installation was originally in Portuguese?
I'm a bit frustrated with this, my Windows Phone was in Portuguese then I changed it to English and Cortana worked perfectly.

tejazz

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Do you think that maybe it's because the installation was originally in Portuguese?

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe Windows Update sensed that I was in an unsupported region, and did not download the Cortana component of the Windows 10 OS. I wonder if reinstalling from the ISO might fix it, but I'm too lazy to go through that amount of hassle.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe Windows Update sensed that I was in an unsupported region, and did not download the Cortana component of the Windows 10 OS. I wonder if reinstalling from the ISO might fix it, but I'm too lazy to go through that amount of hassle.

You need to go to Update & Recovery > Windows Update > Optional Features and make sure you download the speech recognition package for English US. Make sure all your other settings are in check and then reboot! I changed regions on my en-nz install to get Cortana on my SP2 successfully and that was what I missed before

ericmackrodt

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean "Update & Security"?
There's no Optional Features there, only Advanced Options.
Also, I've downloaded the speech recognition in en-US.

tejazz

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
You need to go to Update & Recovery > Windows Update > Optional Features and make sure you download the speech recognition package for English US. Make sure all your other settings are in check and then reboot! I changed regions on my en-nz install to get Cortana on my SP2 successfully and that was what I missed before

Just like joejoe42, I didn't find Optional Features under Windows Update, but a search for it showed that it was in System > Apps and Features > Manage Optional Features. However, all the English US and UK speech, ocr, handwriting, and text-to-speech features were already installed.

I then tried setting everything to English UK (no restart), and the option to enable Cortana was no longer grayed out! I then enabled Hey Cortana and everything, but it appears that the UK version of Cortana doesn't do any nifty things like singing a song, telling a joke, etc., but instead opens up the browser with search engine results of whatever was recognized.

Wonder why the same steps aren't working for US Cortana, though.

tejazz

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
[...] the UK version of Cortana doesn't do any nifty things like singing a song, telling a joke, etc., [...]

Weird, these started working after some time. However, UK Cortana sounds less 'fun' than Jen Taylor's Cortana -- especially the impressions -- but maybe it's just me.

ericmackrodt

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I tried setting everything to English UK, didn't work. So I downloaded the ISO in English (US), reinstalled Windows and it worked.
This shouldn't be necessary, Microsoft really dropped the ball here.

Allissey

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Strange, changed from Lumia 930 to Lumia 950 with backup: Cortana worked with changing region language settings. Last week had to completely reinstall windows 10 without backup due to other errors: those errors are gone, but can't get Cortana to work anymore with all region and language settings properly set. Annoying. Followed all suggestions above. Anybody a clue what could do the trick?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720