Why aren't Cortana reminders syncing between PC & Phone?

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Cortana Reminders not syncing between PC & Phone

Anyone else noticed that reminders aren't being synced between devices?

I used Cortana on the PC properly for the first time yesterday and asked it to remind me to "get milk next time I go to Sainsburys". It seemed to know that Sainsburys was a favourite and all was OK. Went onto the phone (as that'll be the device that will be with me out and about) and it didn't show.

This morning I tried again, thought maybe a server delay and it still didn't sync. Tried setting it up on Phone, and guess what, it doesn't sync to PC.

Cortana seems to be syncing most things, my favourites and news articles are syncing, just reminders aren't!

My phone is a Lumia 830 running Windows 8.1 Update 2.

Any ideas?

G.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cortana Reminders not syncing between PC & Phone

It will be interesting to see where this goes. I understand it is early in the whole Win 10 world, but things such as this (syncing) is one thing that would have been on and running right away. It has been talked about since Win 10 was first announced. One Windows, synced across all devices.

JonnyForgotten

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site

On Answers.Microsoft.com (sorry I cant include links, I'm a new member and need to wait until I've done 10 posts!) it states it only works between Windows 10 devices (and Windows 10 Mobile). There's no mention of it being fixed to work on Windows Phone 8.

Its a bit frustrating really, Microsoft have been saying for years how wonderful everything syncs between Windows devices yet it clearly doesn't.

I wonder if the reminders sync to Cortana on Android ;o)

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

On Answers.Microsoft.com (sorry I cant include links, I'm a new member and need to wait until I've done 10 posts!) it states it only works between Windows 10 devices (and Windows 10 Mobile). There's no mention of it being fixed to work on Windows Phone 8.

Its a bit frustrating really, Microsoft have been saying for years how wonderful everything syncs between Windows devices yet it clearly doesn't.

I wonder if the reminders sync to Cortana on Android ;o)

I have a device with WP10 and one with 8.1 and that is how it is working (or not working) with them. On the device where it works, it's pretty great!

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

I don't know how this feature is designed to work on the back end, but it seems like the location-based reminder would be monitoring the location of the PC you used to set the reminder rather than the location of any number of other devices that you can log into with your Microsoft account.

Have you tried setting up any other types of reminders to test this synchronization? Have you tried creating a reminder from your phone to see if it will show up on the PC?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Just tried this, set a reminder to get milk next time I am at Tesco (It came up with several local Tesco's for me to choose from) on my desktop.

I then opened up reminders on both my Surface Pro 3 and my 1520 both running 10 and there was the reminder.

I also tried setting a place based reminder on the phone but so far it hasn't shown up on the PC or Surface (OK ignore that, just seems to take a bit longer to come through from phone to PC than the other way round).

I now have reminders to tie my bootlaces up at 10pm and to buy flowers next time I am at a flower shop in Peckham (Luckily I don't go to Peckham very often) and they are across all devices.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

And the tie up my bootlace reminders all came up on my desktop, Surface, HP Stream and phone.

Good here aint it

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for your comments, I was always under the impression that Cortana was cloud based thus it didn't matter what device it was syncing to it'll sync (even if it was iOS or Android), so that's a huge oversight from MSFT. How many of us WinPhone8.1 users are out there that have been using Cortana for many months and can't or don't want to use the Insider Program to get Win10 Mobile.

I'll be jumping on Win10 Mobile as soon as available, however as I use my mobile for my own business, I can't be beta testing nor hard resetting all the time.

G.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I didn't want to wait too long to join the preview program in case they announced no more joiners till launch, so put 10 (Build 10166) on so I could make sure I got the new build coming next week.

Once I did the hard reset, I have to say it's doing everything I need it to do and again since then haven't come across much more than cosmetic problems, but I do understand your concern, it is still very much beta software.

Having said that, well impressed so far :wink:

Roll on the official launch of 10 on the phone and on the Xbox One.

misterklaw

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

Is there nowhere to see reminders online? I thought they were supposed to sync into one note, but I can't see anything there on the same account as my PC. Or inserting as tasks/events in my calendar would have been useful too. Location based reminders are basically useless for now unless you happen to have a win 10 mobile device (not many people will).

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

No, you can't view online as its part of Cortanas' notepad not OneNote.

Maybe this functionality should be added, add it to UserVoice and I'll add my +1.

As for phone syncing I'm with you on that!

G.

settelma

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I don't have a syncing problem, I Just can't activate Reminders under Cortana anymore. Since I have upgraded my PC to Windows 10 reminders don't work. It never worked with Windows 10, but now my Windows Phone 8.1 does not work. When selecting Reminders under the Cortana menu it simply brings me back to the Cortana Menu. When I initiate a reminder on my phone or Windows 10 it says it can't save the reminder, try again in a little while. Has anyone seen this before?

Michael Baptiste

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Re: Why aren't Cortana reminders syncing between PC & Phone?

Cortana just started working again after a very long time on my PC. Where I set up a reminder. I did not sync with the Cortana I have on my Android phone. I have Outlook (not Outlook.com) on my PC but it could not find a person in my contacts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234