Why can't I tell Cortana my location?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Why can't I tell Cortana my location.

Hello Dorothy and Toto,

Cortana thinks I am in Kansas since I have HughesNet and that's where Hughesnet accesses the Internet. My actual location is close to 2000 miles from there. Since Cortana thinks I'm in Kansas I get Kansas weather reports, Kansas news, and other Kansas information I don't need. It is kind of funny but really has a negative impact on the usefulness of Cortana.

Thanks

Harry

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why can't I tell Cortana my location.

You can't. See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/a5f5a0f9-2b21-4658-9b92-97519667be06 for about 10 pages of people with the same problem.

Microsoft seems to have forgotten that desktop computers don't always have GPS, and not every one has an internet connection that Cortana can accurately get info from.

I'm on mobile broadband, and today I was in Los Angeles, then later in Kansas. I live north of Seattle. (And changing settings in Bing doesn't work.)

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why can't I tell Cortana my location.

Hello Dorothy and Toto,

Cortana thinks I am in Kansas since I have HughesNet and that's where Hughesnet accesses the Internet. My actual location is close to 2000 miles from there. Since Cortana thinks I'm in Kansas I get Kansas weather reports, Kansas news, and other Kansas information I don't need. It is kind of funny but really has a negative impact on the usefulness of Cortana.

Thanks

Harry

Does it resolve itself when you switch off WiFi?

That isn't a solution, but I'm curious if this goes away when you are at from home or is the location "stuck"?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720