Hey Cortona/Search Button Not Responding under Lockscreen (Non-Trivial, SOLVED)

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Note: Before someone mentions the check box under the speech settings, trust me I've tried many combinations with it on and off.

Just got a Lumia Icon off eBay, and everything seemed to be working appropriately except for Cortona/Search under lockscreen. Neither 'Hey Cortona' or holding the search button down prompt the phone to make any action while under lockscreen. I imagine the issues are caused by the same problem. Holding search button/'Hey Cortona' do work during normal phone usage.

Directly after receiving the product, I used the Windows Device Recovery Tool to install the newest OS/firmware possible (OS: 8.10.14219.341; Firmware: 02540.00019.15024.38022). I then used the restore function (backup of a Lumia 928) to get texts/calls/settings.

Since noticing the problem I've tried the following to no avail:
1. Resetting the phone/using backup of Lumia Icon (backup is from first prep of phone) on multiple occasions
2. Resetting Cortona on and off.
3. Toggling speech setting: "Allow speech above lock" (Both region and language are set to English/US)
4. Ensuring 'Hey Cortona' exists in notifications+action settings and banner is set to on
5. On all attempts, battery is > 20% and Cortona is set to always allow run in background.
6. Resetting the navigation bar

Potential issues I have noticed:
1. Search does not exists in notifications+action settings, hence unknown banner setting.
2. Unsure if this is a proximity sensor issue.

If anyone has an idea, I would greatly appreciate all the help I can get. I'm seriously at a loss, but don't want to give up just yet (would mean returning the phone).

Last edited:

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Hey Cortona/Search Button Not Responding under Lockscreen (Non-Trivial)

Used the Windows Device Recovery Tool again. Tried to see what happens if I choose clean slate, and had same issue. This seems undoubtedly a software issue, but I can't find the trigger which causes this issue. Microsoft Answer Desk didn't provide any extra insight to the issue either.

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site

Wow. Despite hitting don't backup my phone for the clean slate. It erased my backup copy of the previous state. Woe is me.

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site

New development... Search button while under lockscreen and on a phone call works. After a phone call, still does not work.

Update: As a new phone call was ending, I continuously hit/held the search button and it started working?! I mean what is this?? ha
I'm so confused..... but elated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire