Reading text messages

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
How do i get Cortana to read text messages? I hear the the incoming text messages tone and I want to ask cortana to read my text messages. I can't find this command. Sending text etc works. but how to i get her to read messages?

anon(9812986)

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
If you go to Cortana's Notebook, and select Settings, there should be an option for "Read incoming text messages aloud." Your options are Off, Always On, Bluetooth and wired headsets, Bluetooth only, or Wired headset only.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Mine is set to bluetooth - but it doesnt work all the time. Is there a way i can ask cortana to read any unread texts whenever i want? this would solve my issue when it doesnt automatically read incoming tets

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion it's broke. I find Cortana sporatic at best. Mine will ask me and then sometimes not read it. Or if she does read it and I replay, when I say "send" she says "I've sen..." and the tone for closing an interaction does not sound. I must pull my phone from my pocket and access my home screen and the tone sounds after I enter my passcode and you hear her finish the word "sent" then she says "that." My message will not send until I unlock my phone. There are other "quirks" but it has improved over some builds, but I cannot help but to expect Cortana to function at least on the same level as it did in W8.1m.

I like a lot about W10m, but the way Cortana messes up annoys the daylights out of me.

emark858

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
My text messaging acts the same way with the exception that my message will send without having to unlock the phone. If I activate the Bluetooth again, Cortana will finish the word sent. I'm wondering if it is the Skype and messaging integration. I have a Lumina 950.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I find that you are correct that the message sends but the phone sort of "hangs" until its unlocked. I usually have an audio app playing and because Cortana does not "finish" the audio does not resume, I hope MS gets it worked out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss