Cortana works on PC great, on Mobile not so great

vdamir78

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I got an i7 processor in my laptop, 8gb of ram, so naturally the laptop and cortana work together without hiccups.

However, on my Lumia 950 (single sim) the situation is different. At times I need to say "Hey Cortana" 4-5 times before she responds. Even setting up Cortana to recognize my voice did not help anything and it took more time than setting it up on PC. and doing the same with Cortana on PC, and again, was fluent.

So, my conclusion, lacking any better judgement so far, is that phone hardware is no match to PC's.
I wanted to try to unload apps/services that drain the phones resources, thinking, maybe, cortana would respond better if the phone did not have so much stuff on "its mind"....
So, what would be your advice to optimize the phone in order to have cortana respond better for me?

Please don't suggest turning location off, as I need location services for cortana's location-reminders. I use that and need it.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Obviously I have no idea which country you live in, but here's the deal with Cortana.....outside of the USA it sux harder than a 20,000,000 watt vacuum. I'm in the UK and the last time Cortana was worth using was Windows 8.1 on my Lumia 1520.

On my Lumia 950 the voice training doesn't work, it randomly activates at least 20 times a day, chat functionality is dull and poorly thought out and the notebook hasn't had an update in over a year. In other words, Cortana UK is nothing more than a very basic Bing search engine.....and that's 2 years after it was launched.

I'm told that Cortana Usa is very good, but the other 99.99% of global windows mobile users have the worst voice assistant in the market to deal with.

Why has Microsoft all but abandoned Cortana? Who knows

vdamir78

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I am in Bosnia. But I am an english teacher. So I can speak fluently....
On the other hand, I am not on production version, running fast ring for insiders on the phone.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I have to use a US settings for it to work, but so far - it has been quite good.
It has been quite accurate.
Hope the keep developing it to recognize my voice. Maybe Cortana can wake me up from my Band 2?
"get up Mr. V...."

vdamir78

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I have it on US settings too.
But like I said - I communicate with cortana on my PC w/o problems. The phone (still a ms flagship) does not do well, not even with "hey cortana"...

vdamir78

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Here are the things I tried that helped better Cortana response on my L950:

Minor system tweaks to ease the load on the phone:
- shut down all unnecessary apps working in background (such as edge, facebook, onedrive, xbox, photos, camera)
- set email sync to a longer pause between downloading new content (outlook to 1 hour, other email accounts to 2 hours).
- turn off double tap to wake
- turn off double tap navigation bar to turn the screen off.
- set Cortana's default language to US English.

Major tweaks to have Cortana stay alert:
- run Cortana and leave its window running in background
- this may not be true - but whenever Cortana's feature: Cortana-->Settings-->"Press and hold search button to open Cortana" is ON, Cortana responds better for me.

I initially started by turning almost every even remotely non-essential app/features off from working in background, and unistalled facebook. Went on and taught Cortana, again, to recognize my saying "Hey Cortana" better, and then gradually I re-allowed some (not all) apps back to work in background, and finally I reinstalled facebook.

It still responds worse than my PC, but these tweaks helped.
These are things I tried to do, leading by logic only, so, if anyone has better insight as to what can push Cortana to perform better, please share.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Here are the things I tried that helped better Cortana response on my L950:

Minor system tweaks to ease the load on the phone:
- shut down all unnecessary apps working in background (such as edge, facebook, onedrive, xbox, photos, camera)
- set email sync to a longer pause between downloading new content (outlook to 1 hour, other email accounts to 2 hours).
- turn off double tap to wake
- turn off double tap navigation bar to turn the screen off.
- set Cortana's default language to US English.

Major tweaks to have Cortana stay alert:
- run Cortana and leave its window running in background
- this may not be true - but whenever Cortana's feature: Cortana-->Settings-->"Press and hold search button to open Cortana" is ON, Cortana responds better for me.

I initially started by turning almost every even remotely non-essential app/features off from working in background, and unistalled facebook. Went on and taught Cortana, again, to recognize my saying "Hey Cortana" better, and then gradually I re-allowed some (not all) apps back to work in background, and finally I reinstalled facebook.

It still responds worse than my PC, but these tweaks helped.
These are things I tried to do, leading by logic only, so, if anyone has better insight as to what can push Cortana to perform better, please share.

probably a hard reset could do it but I expect the anniversary update will also make some changes

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium