What do you use Cortana for?

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Hands free texting. I have made appointments in my calendar. I ask her what the local time is, if I remember correctly if I ask her only what time it is I just get a Bing search, but I have to ask her "what is the local time?" I think the hands free feature alone for use while driving makes her betterment more important. I have dirty hands working on Cadillacs & Chevy's so the hands free is important.

I tried an IOS and Android, Cortana wins no contest. Maybe I didn't use them enough, I can't honestly say but I am convinced :wink:

I see the suggestion about sports, I should tell here to notify me of news I'd be interested to hear.

How do you get her the package tracking info?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Hands free texting. I have made appointments in my calendar. I ask her what the local time is, if I remember correctly if I ask her only what time it is I just get a Bing search, but I have to ask her "what is the local time?" I think the hands free feature alone for use while driving makes her betterment more important. I have dirty hands working on Cadillacs & Chevy's so the hands free is important.

I tried an IOS and Android, Cortana wins no contest. Maybe I didn't use them enough, I can't honestly say but I am convinced :wink:

I see the suggestion about sports, I should tell here to notify me of news I'd be interested to hear.

Nice!
You can turn package tracking on within Cortana. I assume it recognizes through email, though I'm not positive. Same with trip tracking. I'm going to Atlanta Thursday and it knows from my flight reservations.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

I live in Canada and Cortana literally sucks balls, seriously. It's slow, many times off the mark or displays web pages for me to venture into on my own accord. It's very hit-n-miss on many fronts siding more on the miss 85-90% of the time. Maybe MS hasn't quite gotten it there for us north of the boarder I dunno, it's been 2+ years so I'd hope not... Should have mentioned this is on a L950 w/latest production build.

On the other hand "OK Google" on my GS7 is pretty stellar, worked right out-of-the-box and that was 11 months ago.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I live in Canada and Cortana literally sucks balls, seriously. It's slow, many times off the mark or displays web pages for me to venture into on my own accord. It's very hit-n-miss on many fronts siding more on the miss 85-90% of the time. Maybe MS hasn't quite gotten it there for us north of the boarder I dunno, it's been 2+ years so I'd hope not... Should have mentioned this is on a L950 w/latest production build.

On the other hand "OK Google" on my GS7 is pretty stellar, worked right out-of-the-box and that was 11 months ago.

From what I hear, Cortana is country dependent. Doesn't work the same everywhere, but hopefully soon it will.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
From what I hear, Cortana is country dependent. Doesn't work the same everywhere, but hopefully soon it will.

Yeah was aware of that... First tried on roll-out in Jan 2015, thought by now it'd be better tailored to my country yet that's not been the case. Does work but like I said, very hit-n-miss that it is not worth the effort.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah was aware of that... First tried on roll-out in Jan 2015, thought by now it'd be better tailored to my country yet that's not been the case. Does work but like I said, very hit-n-miss that it is not worth the effort.

I think, if I remember correctly, OK Google was the same way when launched. Didn't work everywhere. Of course now it is much improved and works in more places than Cortana, for now.
Gotta go with what works best for you.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I think, if I remember correctly, OK Google was the same way when launched. Didn't work everywhere. Of course now it is much improved and works in more places than Cortana, for now.
Gotta go with what works best for you.

Just find it disheartening at times that it's a "forced" decision rather than a "choice". You may disagree but if something just doesn't work and one is dependant on it then that person is forced to use something else, whether they like it or not.

I use all three platforms so jumping ship per se is easy as swapping SIMs, just wish W10M wasn't always forcing my hand in some way.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Just find it disheartening at times that it's a "forced" decision rather than a "choice". You may disagree but if something just doesn't work and one is dependant on it then that person is forced to use something else, whether they like it or not.

I use all three platforms so jumping ship per se is easy as swapping SIMs, just wish W10M wasn't always forcing my hand in some way.

Understand. At least you're able to use multiple platforms, thus being able to wait out better integration.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Understand. At least you're able to use multiple platforms, thus being able to wait out better integration.

You'll be happy to know, or not LOL, I've started using the 950 as my daily driver a week ago to test the waters w/GS7 taking up the slack. Previously was 650/950 and can see myself switching back to the little brother (650) at some point, something about its form factor and design that "almost" has me accepting any shortcoming w/OS and hardware because it feels that good to use, physically.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Song identification mainly, and score reports.

I like that I can open Cortana and she can tell me when the next game is, since baseball has games almost every day.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You'll be happy to know, or not LOL, I've started using the 950 as my daily driver a week ago to test the waters w/GS7 taking up the slack. Previously was 650/950 and can see myself switching back to the little brother (650) at some point, something about its form factor and design that "almost" has me accepting any shortcoming w/OS and hardware because it feels that good to use, physically.

It usually (for me at least) comes down to the overall experience. Different phones and different OS's have their good and bad points, but its about using something you feel comfortable with and gets you through your day. I can use Android, for instance, but it just doesn't feel right. W10 does and its on all my devices giving me a collaborative experience.
Good luck with the 950!

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow so much I can really only name a few:

Weather
Traffic - she knows the commute home and just calling her up gives me the traffic situation
Package tracking
Local news
NFL schedules, predictions and results
Every random question we come up with such as "what is the tallest building" "what is the tallest building" "how far is it to the moon" for examples

Kids have fun with her on various devices asking "who's your mom" "who's your dad" "sing me a song" "tell me a joke"

I have used her to set reminders, start a timer for something cooking, text various folks brief messages and of course find pricing on items I'm researching

I love threads like this because they just give me more ideas.

PS: I forgot I can ask Cortana for directions to anywhere like tell me how to get to the hotel, flights from one airport to another on a certain day, train schedules and menus at various restaurants.

Last edited:

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I used to use her to change the track I'm listening to, but now she refuses to unless you unlock the phone. Might as well just do it myself at that point.

So her main use is for setting reminders and appointments, either through the desktop on my PC or on the go through my Bluetooth headphones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss