OK google comparison

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I recently bought a used google pixel XL and updated it to android O. With that the ok google works all the time even when the phone screen is off. In the middle of the night without touching the phone i can say ok google and make a phone call by voice commands

This never works on my Lumia 950. Most of the time ive to wake the screen and unlock the device. Is there a Way this can work the same way as ok google?

BTW, I still use the Lumia 950 as my daily driver

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a used google pixel XL and updated it to android O. With that the ok google works all the time even when the phone screen is off. In the middle of the night without touching the phone i can say ok google and make a phone call by voice commands

This never works on my Lumia 950. Most of the time ive to wake the screen and unlock the device. Is there a Way this can work the same way as ok google?

BTW, I still use the Lumia 950 as my daily driver

I went and bought a Huawei Mate 9 and it is running Android 7 Nougat. (phone is very nice) I have Ok Google and as you say, from locked I can say Ok Google call. Unlike yours, Cortana on my 950 responds from locked. Cortana also announces an incoming text message and when I am on Bluetooth, headset or Cadillac Cue, she will ask what I want to do with the message.

I have searched a lot for how to enable the Google Assistant to be as great as they say it is and perform this simple task that Cortana has been doing since my Windows Phone 7.5 phone, and so far all I hear is a notification tone from this world renowned Google Assistant.

I got the phone because I don't want to lug two phones around, my work requires I use an app only available on IOS or Android, well I find it extremely annoying that I must stop what I am doing, clean my hands and grab my phone to reply to a text. I have been using my 950 again as I miss it.

Another shortcoming I have found, I have been unable to personalize message tones on Android as I could then determine if I needed to look at the message or ignore it based on message tone.....

Oh well this is a Cortana forum and I will close with saying I think even though there are glitches from time to time, Cortana has been a better AI than Google or Siri, I have used them all daily at one point or another.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I used Android for a couple of months, but came back to W10M, and Cortana was one of the biggest reasons. Her interaction with my car's hands free over Bluetooth is head and shoulders above Okay Google. I've heard there are third party SMS apps that might announce messages, but i didn't go looking for them.

I was really surprised that Android lacked such a basic feature that I had come to take for granted on Windows.

Turn by turn nav required me to select the phone as my input via BT as well in order to hear it, rather than breaking in over any source like Cortana does.

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I am very disappointed in OK Google on the Samsung Galaxy S8, lets just ignore this Bixby joke for now.

The S8 handset is nice; hardware, Android 7.0, and functionality (side bar). But Cortana is hands down the best assistant I've ever used and the easiest to invoke and work with. I read that MS was trying to bring their Google Cortana app on-par with Windows 10 Mobile. I hope that is true. I kept my Lumia 950 and continue to load new builds. I hope to return to the platform with their next iteration of a mobile OS (which I love the idea of so far!).

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a Nokia 6. After being with WP since day 1 of wp7 I can say the experience is jarring. Especially trying to figure out what notifications you have received. Not having any indication on the app badge is a bit of a joke in 2017.

In regards to cortana does any one know if I make it the default assistant in Android will it read my texts out loud? I also can't understand how that is not a standard feature of the Google assistant.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a Nokia 6. After being with WP since day 1 of wp7 I can say the experience is jarring. Especially trying to figure out what notifications you have received. Not having any indication on the app badge is a bit of a joke in 2017.

In regards to cortana does any one know if I make it the default assistant in Android will it read my texts out loud? I also can't understand how that is not a standard feature of the Google assistant.
Yes, you can make it the default through settings. Go to apps and then hit the gear icon on the upper right, then click on assist & voice input. The first option is "assist app" and then you can set Cortana as your default.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
You can make Cortana your default assistant, but I never found a way to make her read texts out loud.

You can tell Okay Google to "read my messages" and it will read the last 5, but you have to trigger it. It won't do it automatically as they are received.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs