05-17-2017 11:58 PM
37 12
tools
    Dual boot = Dual OS. It just means that at boot you can select whether you'd like to boot Android or Windows.

Looking at this video seems you can switch OS without rebooting.
    05-09-2017 10:07 AM
    I seriously doubt anyone would make a Dual-boot phone. A single phone though that can have either Windows or Android installed would be more likely. That's really the OS that MS should be making. One that will install on Android devices. Although I'm sure google has some kind of licencing clause that would prevent this, then if it's possible I'm pretty sure MS could fight it as a monopoly thing, much like the whole browser thing that cost MS back in the day.

I'm pretty sure a lot more people would switch to WM if they could install it on any phone they wish. I for one would live to have Windows 10 Mobile on my HTC 10.
    05-09-2017 10:10 AM
    I think that was Microsoft's goal working with some companies like HTC for the HTC One M8 Windows Phone. Basically, work on a platform that can easily accommodate Windows Phone with just a few tweaks to the original Android version.

Of course, if there was a way to install Windows 10 Mobile on Android hardware, that'd be neat. Though not sure if it'd see much uptake apart from enthusiasts. Still, choice is nice!
    05-09-2017 10:19 AM
    I read will be dual OS not dual boot.
    You're right in that it is how they worded it. Dual OS like Boot camp for Mac you mean? If that is the case I wonder what the middleware is that controls the switching?...I see you posted the Linux/Android one they modeled a while back.

EDIT: Come to think of it I bet you are right, because if they do it this way, it could circumvent Googles TOS for dual booting. Since it would not dual boot the os, but rather boot both and switch between the two. Am I right? Would be slick if it comes out using both operating systems this way.

ANOTHER EDIT: It would actually mimic something like Parallels Desktop if it is switching the OS without rebooting. I stated that above in error.
    Last edited by Nate W; 05-09-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    05-09-2017 11:31 AM
    I have a strong suspicion they resold the Ceruleam design to Wiley Fox...

And now I suspect this dual boot will just be a relaunch of the PCphone...
    It is now "AIPCPhone" :)
    05-09-2017 11:53 AM
    I think that was Microsoft's goal working with some companies like HTC for the HTC One M8 Windows Phone. Basically, work on a platform that can easily accommodate Windows Phone with just a few tweaks to the original Android version.

Of course, if there was a way to install Windows 10 Mobile on Android hardware, that'd be neat. Though not sure if it'd see much uptake apart from enthusiasts. Still, choice is nice!
    I pondered that for a long time. There are obvious legalities as to why we cannot install our own OS on mobile phones. Also it is not as easy as it sounds. I bet most ODM/OEMs do not want dedicate more time and resources to maintaining a W10M OS on top of their already working Android OS. Though some may be ok with it. Once they have Android nailed (patching, security fixes, enhancements, etc.) they pour resources into other areas. They would need to see return in that investment. Microsoft has not really been able to show for that yet.

Moly (Coship) on the other hand, knows all about W10M. So getting Android up on their platform would be minimal.
    05-09-2017 11:59 AM
    If .apk files ran on windows 10 mobile, like MS promised, I wouldn't be typing this with a shiny new Galaxy S8. Unfortunately they cancelled Project Astoria. Hell, even BlackBerry was able to get Android apps running well on their OS. Its nolt like we need a ton of apps. ME needs to create their own Android store. And make the apps available on W10, in an app launcher that runs within W10 proper. The Bluestacks solution is horrible, there must be a better way. I still can't for the life of me figure out why developers were not supportive of the whole app porting solution that MR provided.
    05-09-2017 01:27 PM
    Windows with its Live Tiles and other aspects is the clear winner for me, but I need things in the Google world as well, like Gmaps, Streetview and proper Open Street Maps. So, a dual boot would be handy if it would run both os's well.
    Nate W likes this.
    05-09-2017 02:36 PM
    My boys have a Teclast X16 Power each, which dual boots Windows 10 and Android. They generally use Android when we're travelling, for light gaming, reading etc. They use Windows at home with keyboard and mouse, when they're working on Code Combat, or Roblox or Minecraft. Overall, the experience is pretty good. I'm not sure how it would work in a smaller form factor, though ...
    Nate W and Drael646464 like this.
    05-09-2017 05:40 PM
    My boys have a Teclast X16 Power each, which dual boots Windows 10 and Android. They generally use Android when we're travelling, for light gaming, reading etc. They use Windows at home with keyboard and mouse, when they're working on Code Combat, or Roblox or Minecraft. Overall, the experience is pretty good. I'm not sure how it would work in a smaller form factor, though ...
    Exactly, tablet manufacturers in china have been doing this for ages. There is of course the oddities of running two OSes that don't understand each other such as - don't mess with the partitions. And the fact that its not trivial to change the OS, it's resetting the device. But in general its nice to have the choice.
    Nate W likes this.
    05-10-2017 04:28 AM
    Exactly, tablet manufacturers in china have been doing this for ages. There is of course the oddities of running two OSes that don't understand each other such as - don't mess with the partitions. And the fact that its not trivial to change the OS, it's resetting the device. But in general its nice to have the choice.
    This brings me to a conclusion that maybe Coship could can this next plan for their Dual OS phone. After reading through more than several articles today, I started searching back to 2015. Huawei and Elephone both had plans to create a dual OS phone. But later they cancelled or fizzled out. Any ideas or sources as to what kept them from making them happen?

Seems Elephone was going to be Intel based, even though original plans were for a MediaTek SoC. Wonder if Huawei will try their foot in the door ever...? The Matebook is a tablet I was really considering, why should they not try to compliment that with a 5.5" W10M device?
    05-17-2017 12:16 PM
    This brings me to a conclusion that maybe Coship could can this next plan for their Dual OS phone. After reading through more than several articles today, I started searching back to 2015. Huawei and Elephone both had plans to create a dual OS phone. But later they cancelled or fizzled out. Any ideas or sources as to what kept them from making them happen?

Seems Elephone was going to be Intel based, even though original plans were for a MediaTek SoC. Wonder if Huawei will try their foot in the door ever...? The Matebook is a tablet I was really considering, why should they not try to compliment that with a 5.5" W10M device?
    Well I know major tablet manufacturers have been blocked by MS and google. Chinese makers like chuwi and teclast however continue to do this. However they don't release the dual boot first, they release it after they have an android and windows version.

I think they sneak it in that way - a short run of individual, and then the main thrust of sales as dual boot.

As for phones IDK about elephone or Huawei.
    05-17-2017 11:58 PM
37 12