Coship W10M/Android dual booting device

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Whats so weird about this, is all these folks around here acting as if moly/coship couldn't afford to make another phone. And if this is true, here they are, making a phone.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Dual OS Phone Coming?

I just read an article that said that Coship is working on a phone that has both W10M and Android. Assuming that this phone ever sees the light of day, do you guys think there would be any interest? I'm skeptical myself.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a strong suspicion they resold the Ceruleam design to Wiley Fox...

And now I suspect this dual boot will just be a relaunch of the PCphone...

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Dual OS Phone Coming?

Yeah when I first saw that article I thought it sounded quite exciting but when you actually think about it you're still stuck with one OS or the other at any given time. Windows running Android apps is the sweet spot I think we'd all like since Windows store will never match theirs.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Dual OS Phone Coming?

Yeah when I first saw that article I thought it sounded quite exciting but when you actually think about it you're still stuck with one OS or the other at any given time. Windows running Android apps is the sweet spot I think we'd all like since Windows store will never match theirs.

Some might like, not all. 😉

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Many Android users have been willing buy a dual boot OS to try out Windows 10 M. I see that on many different forums.
@xandros9
It was on a Facebook comment they replied to. As user MolyPCPhone

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Many Android users have been willing buy a dual boot OS to try out Windows 10 M. I see that on many different forums.
@xandros9
It was on a Facebook comment they replied to. As user MolyPCPhone

That's been my experience with dual boot tablets - people wanting one OS or the other, will consider the other "a bonus", something to try out. It's not that people buying such devices see themselves actively using both OSes.

Some users however do use both actively. One use might be for example, to run your phone as a windows machine for continuum, and for work, and then to switch it to android for the weekend/evenings, for social media apps.

And another mode of dealing with it, is "for that one app one is missing". Some people however will not buy a dual boot "because they don't need such and such operating system". Which may be a wise consideration, but generally speaking this model has been embraced by Chinese markets, mostly as an 'added extra'. Dual boots sell better than single OSes, even if the users generally only want one OS or the other.

It's a wise play. There are people here with multiple phones, which would surely be easier to manage, if it was in fact one phone rather than two.

I have wondered why no one has dual booted phones yet. Big manufacturers can't get away with it because MS and google have an issue. Small ones however, are a tolerated phenomena.

Personally this is something I find attractive because I need up to date familiarity with android for work. But I'd prefer to actually use windows 10m. This way, I can do both, play with the odd app or OS feature, then switch back to windows to actually use it.

Only thing is such a device will _need_ more storage space. 32gb would probably be a fair minimum, because 8gb for either OS is not enough these days. 64 would be more ideal - lots of free space to play with, although 32 would also work, if you have an SD card for media and photos.

If its the Moly PCphone, that has been reported as 32gb. Which would be enough. One could always adjust the partition sizes I hope. The processor being continuum capable would be a selling point for the mode I spoke of above - use windows for work, android for social. Hopefully they jack up the storage to 64gb though, as its not likely to be super cheap on release.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Google services should not be there out of the box. I read it is against Googles TOS to dual boot. So anyone used any of there Android devices, or know if they build a good skin over it, how it performs?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Google services should not be there out of the box. I read it is against Googles TOS to dual boot. So anyone used any of there Android devices, or know if they build a good skin over it, how it performs?

You'd think so, but every dual boot tablet I have used has google play. For example Chuwi does a lot of these in tablets, and everyone I've tried ships with google play.

What they usually do is release the android version first, then windows, seperately and then turn it into dual boot, and just run with that, lol. This might not though, guess we'll see.

Maybe its something to do with Chinese IP laws? IDK.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It would be interesting to try to photo deposit a cheque that I get once in a blue moon!

Oh and maybe some snapchat AR camera effects.... or just wait until instagram and/or whatsapp gets those too or something

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Whats so weird about this, is all these folks around here acting as if moly/coship couldn't afford to make another phone. And if this is true, here they are, making a phone.

Microsoft announced in 2015 that they were a hardware partner. I have not heard anything stating they left or moved on. There is a reason they are still around :)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Not sure Xiaomi will ever make a come back from the last Windows 10 Mobile experiment. But even thought they never dual booted their Mi4 it was the first Android smart phone to also run Windows 10 Mobile officially. Umi (UMIDIGI) was another maker that wanted that type of action, but their UMI touch never materialized a Windows 10 Mobile ROM. Coship on the other hand if they pull it off well enough, will be the first Dual boot Mobile phone sold with Windows 10 Mobile and Android out of the box. This will be interesting.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So anyone used any of there Android devices, or know if they build a good skin over it, how it performs?

Based on what I've seen from Coship/Moly (Moly W5) and read about them...

My guess is that they really are hardware people and not software people.

I'd expect Android ASOP + bare bones W10M.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
AOSP will be light weight, runs the best IMO, and will be simply maintained. I hope you are right. Might give us a chance here in the US to use their PC phone model (W6) if that is the model that releases. Next we need to wonder what price it will come with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)