Coship W10M/Android dual booting device

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Not sure Xiaomi will ever make a come back from the last Windows 10 Mobile experiment. But even thought they never dual booted their Mi4 it was the first Android smart phone to also run Windows 10 Mobile officially. Umi (UMIDIGI) was another maker that wanted that type of action, but their UMI touch never materialized a Windows 10 Mobile ROM. Coship on the other hand if they pull it off well enough, will be the first Dual boot Mobile phone sold with Windows 10 Mobile and Android out of the box. This will be interesting.

Xiaomi was very clear it was never a partnership, it was simply letting Microsoft try it out, and its users play with the rom if they wanted. It was MS that wanted to try see if they could flash an android with windows IMO.

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I can see some interest from curious Android users, but in general, the only way I could see something like this being a success - and I admit this is likely technically possible, but very unlikely - would be if somehow, both OSes could operate simultaneously (of course killing the battery faster and likely resulting in a heftier, thicker, and more expensive device) and somehow, I dunno, magic of 'remote desktop' or something similar on Android, have tiles on the Windows Phone side that could launch the app on the Android side and 'remote desktop' it to Windows 10. Basically, being able to run Android apps natively, through Windows. You'd probably need the ability to remote to the Android OS as a whole for setup, etc. but you never know. Sort of the way you can remote desktop to a Windows PC, but for individual apps, you can use RemoteApp to run apps and make them appear native to the device.

Or, you know, Project Astoria could just be brought back. :)

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I think this is a fantastic idea!
We have been doing this on PCs for decades now, I can boot up Linux, Windows 7 and Windows 10 on the same machine. This is nothing new and the existence of one rom on the storage has no impact whatsoever on the others. The only limitation I see is available storage space to keep all the independent roms and apps. Besides storage limitations, I can see no disadvantage whatsoever from a technical standpoint. Sounds promising if it actually comes to existence!

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I seriously doubt anyone would make a Dual-boot phone. A single phone though that can have either Windows or Android installed would be more likely. That's really the OS that MS should be making. One that will install on Android devices. Although I'm sure google has some kind of licencing clause that would prevent this, then if it's possible I'm pretty sure MS could fight it as a monopoly thing, much like the whole browser thing that cost MS back in the day.

I'm pretty sure a lot more people would switch to WM if they could install it on any phone they wish. I for one would live to have Windows 10 Mobile on my HTC 10.

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I think that was Microsoft's goal working with some companies like HTC for the HTC One M8 Windows Phone. Basically, work on a platform that can easily accommodate Windows Phone with just a few tweaks to the original Android version.

Of course, if there was a way to install Windows 10 Mobile on Android hardware, that'd be neat. Though not sure if it'd see much uptake apart from enthusiasts. Still, choice is nice!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I read will be dual OS not dual boot.
You're right in that it is how they worded it. Dual OS like Boot camp for Mac you mean? If that is the case I wonder what the middleware is that controls the switching?...I see you posted the Linux/Android one they modeled a while back.

EDIT: Come to think of it I bet you are right, because if they do it this way, it could circumvent Googles TOS for dual booting. Since it would not dual boot the os, but rather boot both and switch between the two. Am I right? Would be slick if it comes out using both operating systems this way.

ANOTHER EDIT: It would actually mimic something like Parallels Desktop if it is switching the OS without rebooting. I stated that above in error.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I think that was Microsoft's goal working with some companies like HTC for the HTC One M8 Windows Phone. Basically, work on a platform that can easily accommodate Windows Phone with just a few tweaks to the original Android version.

Of course, if there was a way to install Windows 10 Mobile on Android hardware, that'd be neat. Though not sure if it'd see much uptake apart from enthusiasts. Still, choice is nice!

I pondered that for a long time. There are obvious legalities as to why we cannot install our own OS on mobile phones. Also it is not as easy as it sounds. I bet most ODM/OEMs do not want dedicate more time and resources to maintaining a W10M OS on top of their already working Android OS. Though some may be ok with it. Once they have Android nailed (patching, security fixes, enhancements, etc.) they pour resources into other areas. They would need to see return in that investment. Microsoft has not really been able to show for that yet.

Moly (Coship) on the other hand, knows all about W10M. So getting Android up on their platform would be minimal.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If .apk files ran on windows 10 mobile, like MS promised, I wouldn't be typing this with a shiny new Galaxy S8. Unfortunately they cancelled Project Astoria. Hell, even BlackBerry was able to get Android apps running well on their OS. Its nolt like we need a ton of apps. ME needs to create their own Android store. And make the apps available on W10, in an app launcher that runs within W10 proper. The Bluestacks solution is horrible, there must be a better way. I still can't for the life of me figure out why developers were not supportive of the whole app porting solution that MR provided.

Joscelin Trouwborst

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Windows with its Live Tiles and other aspects is the clear winner for me, but I need things in the Google world as well, like Gmaps, Streetview and proper Open Street Maps. So, a dual boot would be handy if it would run both os's well.

ProfessorMudguts

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
My boys have a Teclast X16 Power each, which dual boots Windows 10 and Android. They generally use Android when we're travelling, for light gaming, reading etc. They use Windows at home with keyboard and mouse, when they're working on Code Combat, or Roblox or Minecraft. Overall, the experience is pretty good. I'm not sure how it would work in a smaller form factor, though ...

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
My boys have a Teclast X16 Power each, which dual boots Windows 10 and Android. They generally use Android when we're travelling, for light gaming, reading etc. They use Windows at home with keyboard and mouse, when they're working on Code Combat, or Roblox or Minecraft. Overall, the experience is pretty good. I'm not sure how it would work in a smaller form factor, though ...

Exactly, tablet manufacturers in china have been doing this for ages. There is of course the oddities of running two OSes that don't understand each other such as - don't mess with the partitions. And the fact that its not trivial to change the OS, it's resetting the device. But in general its nice to have the choice.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Exactly, tablet manufacturers in china have been doing this for ages. There is of course the oddities of running two OSes that don't understand each other such as - don't mess with the partitions. And the fact that its not trivial to change the OS, it's resetting the device. But in general its nice to have the choice.

This brings me to a conclusion that maybe Coship could can this next plan for their Dual OS phone. After reading through more than several articles today, I started searching back to 2015. Huawei and Elephone both had plans to create a dual OS phone. But later they cancelled or fizzled out. Any ideas or sources as to what kept them from making them happen?

Seems Elephone was going to be Intel based, even though original plans were for a MediaTek SoC. Wonder if Huawei will try their foot in the door ever...? The Matebook is a tablet I was really considering, why should they not try to compliment that with a 5.5" W10M device?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
This brings me to a conclusion that maybe Coship could can this next plan for their Dual OS phone. After reading through more than several articles today, I started searching back to 2015. Huawei and Elephone both had plans to create a dual OS phone. But later they cancelled or fizzled out. Any ideas or sources as to what kept them from making them happen?

Seems Elephone was going to be Intel based, even though original plans were for a MediaTek SoC. Wonder if Huawei will try their foot in the door ever...? The Matebook is a tablet I was really considering, why should they not try to compliment that with a 5.5" W10M device?

Well I know major tablet manufacturers have been blocked by MS and google. Chinese makers like chuwi and teclast however continue to do this. However they don't release the dual boot first, they release it after they have an android and windows version.

I think they sneak it in that way - a short run of individual, and then the main thrust of sales as dual boot.

As for phones IDK about elephone or Huawei.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon