AMD vs Intel - or - How I got my first build (+little what's what on PC parts)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: AMD vs Intel

I'd also be careful with XFX, as I've heard a few bad things about their stuff. If it's significantly cheaper, I'd say go for it, but it isn't worth just a slight savings.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

The selection isn't that big, since I'm on a tight budget and a more expensive GPU wouldn't live up to its full potential (since I'll only have an i3).
Those are the ones I can choose from (90-122€):

MSI N650-2GD5/OC, GeForce GTX 650, 2GB GDDR5

XFX Radeon R9 270X Double Dissipation Edition, 2GB GDDR5

ASUS GTX650-E-2GD5, GeForce GTX 650, 2GB GDDR5

ASUS R7250X-2GD5, Radeon R7 250X, 2GB GDDR5

ASUS HD7770-2GD5, Radeon HD 7770, 2GB GDDR5

Sapphire Radeon R7 260X, 2GB GDDR5 lite retail

XFX Radeon R7 260X Black Edition, 2GB GDDR5

Which one of them offers the best for in this price-range?

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

The selection isn't that big, since I'm on a tight budget and a more expensive GPU wouldn't live up to its full potential (since I'll only have an i3).
Those are the ones I can choose from (90-122€):

MSI N650-2GD5/OC, GeForce GTX 650, 2GB GDDR5

XFX Radeon R9 270X Double Dissipation Edition, 2GB GDDR5

ASUS GTX650-E-2GD5, GeForce GTX 650, 2GB GDDR5

ASUS R7250X-2GD5, Radeon R7 250X, 2GB GDDR5

ASUS HD7770-2GD5, Radeon HD 7770, 2GB GDDR5

Sapphire Radeon R7 260X, 2GB GDDR5 lite retail

XFX Radeon R7 260X Black Edition, 2GB GDDR5

Which one of them offers the best for in this price-range?

1. XFX Radeon R9 270X Double Dissipation Edition, 2GB GDDR5 (this should be 180 € GPU)

2. None (a gap is too big) ...

3. Sapphire Radeon R7 260X, 2GB GDDR5 lite retail OR XFX Radeon R7 260X Black Edition, 2GB GDDR5

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

The XFX is listed with a price of 106,50€. I wrote an email to the shop if this price is a mistake or real (most likely to get an answer tomorrow before noon).
Depending on the answer (could be a typing mistake) and some reviews and research I'll either choose the Sapphire or the R9. But keeping in mind that many people have had bad experiences with XFX, it will be the Sapphire. Also I'm going to upgrade in a year anyways, so I don't want to spend that much now.

And I'm still undecided which RAM I should get. The price is nearly the same for all of the 8GB kits; 75-80€ (Corsair Vengance low profile/Beast, G.Skill RipjawsX, Kingston HyperX blu/red/Genesis, Crucial Ballistix Sport). Does it really matter that much if my RAM is on the memory support list? Because sometimes I find the same modell but with 32GB or 16GB instead of 8GB or 4GB instead of 8GB.

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Regarding the case, check out Corsair - they have a very nice selection. I've got a 550D and I couldn't be happier.. comparing to the Antec, Thermaltake, and NZXT cases I've owned, none have come close to the level of quality Corsair offers.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Regarding the case, check out Corsair - they have a very nice selection. I've got a 550D and I couldn't be happier.. comparing to the Antec, Thermaltake, and NZXT cases I've owned, none have come close to the level of quality Corsair offers.

The 550D is a bit out of my budget (117€ being the lowest I could find). The Graphite 230T should fit more into my budget. But thanks for the tip with the Corsair cases!

Btw, is it just me or do all LED fans look like swastikas? o_O Is there a way to turn the LEDs off?

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Oh right, I meant to mention the Carbide 330R and 200R - I think the 230T is right in between those two in terms of price, but with more open design (the other two still have front fans, they draw in air through grills to the side and bottom just like my 550D). I think they would both be quieter than that 230T, if that means anything to you.

And yeah they kind of do - I'm *pretty* sure you can just remove the lights in most fans. I haven't had fans with lights for a long while, so I'm not 100% certain.

I'd recommend the 330R if you can squeeze the extra from your budget, but otherwise, the 200R would be more than fine. Plus, you won't have to try disconnecting fan lights with those two :p

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

The XFX is listed with a price of 106,50€. I wrote an email to the shop if this price is a mistake or real (most likely to get an answer tomorrow before noon).
Depending on the answer (could be a typing mistake) and some reviews and research I'll either choose the Sapphire or the R9. But keeping in mind that many people have had bad experiences with XFX, it will be the Sapphire. Also I'm going to upgrade in a year anyways, so I don't want to spend that much now.

And I'm still undecided which RAM I should get. The price is nearly the same for all of the 8GB kits; 75-80€ (Corsair Vengance low profile/Beast, G.Skill RipjawsX, Kingston HyperX blu/red/Genesis, Crucial Ballistix Sport). Does it really matter that much if my RAM is on the memory support list? Because sometimes I find the same modell but with 32GB or 16GB instead of 8GB or 4GB instead of 8GB.

Your target is to buy PC3-12800C9 DDR3 RAM modules (2 x 4 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz CL 9) - so it is 8 Gb RAM - and my choice would be Crucial Ballistix Sport (1.5v) and a substitute, if that Crucial is not available, then G.Skill RipjawsX ... but I do not think that it really matters what brand you are using :)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

The XFX is listed with a price of 106,50?. I wrote an email to the shop if this price is a mistake or real (most likely to get an answer tomorrow before noon).

And I'm still undecided which RAM I should get. The price is nearly the same for all of the 8GB kits; 75-80? (Corsair Vengance low profile/Beast, G.Skill RipjawsX, Kingston HyperX blu/red/Genesis, Crucial Ballistix Sport). Does it really matter that much if my RAM is on the memory support list? Because sometimes I find the same modell but with 32GB or 16GB instead of 8GB or 4GB instead of 8GB.

I wouldn't worry much with the different RAM brands. Check if there are bad reviews on any. If not, pick the cheapest, if all have the same speed and CAS Latency. I can't honestly say anything about RAM compatibility lists, as I've never even read one. If the pricing is negligible between supported and non-supported, I'd grab the supported stuff, just in case. Odds are, it just means that they personally tested the RAM with the board, while the other stuff just wasn't used in testing.

For the GPU, if the 270X is really in the price range of the 260X stuff, jump on it. Don't wait for an e-mail reply. If they screwed up their pricing, take advantage before it's fixed (and it might be a sale ending any day now.)

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I received an email this morning that said the price was correct but when I got there I was informed that it was a mistake, so I got the R7 260X because the xfx was about 200?.

Now I'm waiting for my case an psu (decided to get the Thermaltake Smart 630).

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

Any particular reason why you choose the Ballistix first?

Crucial Ballistix Sport (1.5v) and G.Skill RipjawsX(1.45-1.55v) should work as CL9 without any changes in bios (default is 1.5v in bios) ... other 2 needs up to 1.65v to get out CL9 (you have to set values through bios, to make them CL9 - they might be up to CL11 on 1.5v, as out from the boxes) ...

wpmartjr

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

For the build or tips on parts you could go to youtube.com -> linus tech tips . That guy does a lot of builds and gives tips on parts

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

Seems like the color (and the last letter in the modell number) indicates how good they are for overclocking.
G.Skill Sniper vs Ripjaws X red vs Ripjaws X blue [Solved] - RAM - Memory

Since I don't intend to overclock anything I should be okay with the red ones (low for oc)

Yeah, I think that Ripjaws Red is OK (a good choice), CL9 by 1.5v (= no need to do anything in bios) ....

G.Skill Ripjaws Red 1600 . G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - Newegg.com

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I went about 200€ over my budget but I think I will have this PC for a long time (until I upgrade the GPU and CPU). I think other than that my build will last for a few years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro