AMD vs Intel - or - How I got my first build (+little what's what on PC parts)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: AMD vs Intel

This thread has clearly grown beyond the AMD vs Intel subject that started it off. Stickying it.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: AMD vs Intel - or - How to assemble your own desktop PC

WP_20140314_17_14_36_Pro.jpg

I only put the parts together (didn't turn it on yet). Also I have to do the cable management.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Little update: my PC is now fully functional.
Had a little problem with the hdd but I got it working.
Must say that Windows 8.1 is very different from Vista.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Good to hear its running! How are you finding its performance and adjusting to WP8.1?

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

The performance is great! Not comparable to Vista at all. With vista on an hdd it took the PC well over a minute to boot. Now with 8.1 on the ssd and fast boot enabled it boots in about 5sec!

The interface is quite different and I have to adjust even in the explorer (looks like Word from the Windows 7 era).
I have to say I dislike the way programs are displayed (next to the apps). But I don't want to put a different shell on it.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

A friend suggested that I should install classic shell' which brings back the interface known from xp/Vista/7 (taskbar, program list,...).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't really see it as necessary myself. If you right-click the Start button in the bottom-right, you get the menu with things like File Explorer and Task Manager and Control Panel. I suppose it depends on how many programs you use on your PC, though.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I think it's just for those people who don't want to deal with the new interface and keep the looks they are used to (i.e. XP, Vista, 7).

It's a real change for me - coming from Vista and working with it for about 6 years - but it's okay.
I'm just used to the way programs were accessed in Vista but I'm sure after time I'll adapt to it, so no biggie.

The problem that occured with the HDD was quite odd. It was listed in UEFI and I could find it under device management but it didn't show up in the explorer. I had to create a new volume with it using the device management so it got a letter (D:\, E:\, etc.) and after a restart it showed up.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

Nice build. Should last you some time. I built mine back in 2012 (July) and haven't upgraded/replaced a thing yet. Runs pretty much all modern games on high, if not highest settings with solid FPS (when not recording). Here's a quick pic (note that the graphics card is passive with no fan):

system_screen_20140317.jpg

Just in case anyone reads through this thread and freaks out about AMD. They're solid chips and worth the buck. 4 fans in total. 2 on the front with dust filters. 1 on the rear. 1 on the CPU.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Nice build. Should last you some time. I built mine back in 2012 (July) and haven't upgraded/replaced a thing yet. Runs pretty much all modern games on high, if not highest settings with solid FPS (when not recording). Here's a quick pic (note that the graphics card is passive with no fan):

Just in case anyone reads through this thread and freaks out about AMD. They're solid chips and worth the buck. 4 fans in total. 2 on the front with dust filters. 1 on the rear. 1 on the CPU.

How do you get by with "only" ~600GB of storage? Do you have an external HDD that wasn't connected when you used Speccy?

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Regarding Windows 8, the best way to find your programs is just go to your start screen and start typing. From there, you can right click and pin the programs to your start screen, or to your taskbar.

You'll get used to it I'm sure - oh and Windows 8.1 Update 1 will make things a tad more intuitive with keyboard/mouse, so that's something to look forward to.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, my cousin showed me this feature but I'm really used to the "traditional" way programs were listed in Windows^^ But since I don't wanna be one of those "in my days things were better"-guys I'll have to adapt :p

So, since one of my ext. HDDs (the LaCie with 1.5TB) is acting up weird (doesn't show up in "This PC" anymore after it went into hibernation and only shows up/works again after turning it off/on; just to be sure I copied everything to my 2nd ext. HDD and int. HDD but the space is getting scarce) I'm looking for a replacement. I'll most likely get another WD Caviar Red 1TB. Only 1TB because I read that after 1TB the failure rate doubles and Red because I tend to let movies, tv shows, audio books or music run in the background while learning, gaming, etc which can take up to 10 hours on weekends and up to 6 hours on weekdays. I'll just use it for media (music/videos/pics) but it's already about 700GB of data. Which makes me think: Should I get 1x 1TB next month and another 1x 1TB later OR 1x 2TB? (since it's already about 700GB only 1TB would likely be not enough) Since it's only for videos/music I should be okay with a WD Red or an equal one by Seagate, right?

Also: I have 8 USB ports (4x 3.0, 4x 2.0) already connected to the motherboard (6x on the back panel, 2 on the front). I'm currently using 7 of them (2x ext. HDD, mouse, keyboard, ODD, ext. soundcard and XBox 360 controller). Since the back is fully connected and I'd like front to free for the purpose of connecting 2 USB thumb drives, I'd like to install an extention card (either PCI or with cables for the USB on-board header). What would you guys suggest is better?

I could use an USB hub for the mouse and keyboard and/or buy an int. soundcard (I'm kind of a audiophile) and/or ditch the ext. HDD that is acting up for an int. HDD with hot-swap-function and a case for HDDs?

Last edited:

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Wanted to put some rubber pins on my case fans so the vibrations won't be transferred to the case. Turns out I only can install them in the exhaust-fan because the 2 in the front are mounted very inconveniently to the hdd cage. I could exchange the bottom one (which I will) but getting the top one out will be a pain in the ***. Also the rubber pins won't fit there.

But as I had the case open anyway, I decided to do some cable management.
WP_20140328_13_53_42_Pro.jpg
WP_20140328_13_54_26_Pro.jpg

I think it's a great improvement compared to the first setup :)

Oh, btw: small update on the first post.
If you have suggestions/corrections please let me know (PM or post it here).

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

This is my plan for fan installation (mustn't all at once, just to be ready for the hot summer since it gets up to 40?C here).

case fans.png

I'll most likely get the ones from Corsair (SP/AF120 and AF140), preferably with LEDs or I'll go with the normal ones and install some LEDs myself in the case (aiming for a Trick or Treat look, eventough I ain't got that much orange parts inside my case and no watercooling). I want an SP120 in the bottom front because the air stream has to get through the HDD cage).

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

That's a nice case and theme you are going for. I looked back in the thread to see what build you ended up with. I saw you have the same SSD as me! high five bro :D Although I decided to pick up the 250GB one to install a few games on it.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

That's a nice case and theme you are going for. I looked back in the thread to see what build you ended up with. I saw you have the same SSD as me! high five bro :D Although I decided to pick up the 250GB one to install a few games on it.

Thanks!
Unfortunately I didn't get more black/orange components (Gigabyte has a gorgeous MoBo but it costs about 260-300€). You can check it out in the link in my previous post.
I decided to go with the 120GB version since I got a gift card for a local store and got it for only 55€ instead of 85€. I only have the OS, drivers and essential programs on it (and unfortunately some stuff from programs that didn't let me choose where it will be installed -_-).
Win 8.1 now boots in about 5sec which is pretty amazing and totally worth the high cost (compared to an HDD with more storage).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo