AMD vs Intel - or - How I got my first build (+little what's what on PC parts)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: AMD vs Intel - or - How to assemble your own desktop PC

Yeah, it's dependent on your budget. A SSD+HDD option will be superior, but it'll also probably run you about $50 more (depending on the sizes of the drives). Personally, I don't need an SSD, as I mostly browse the web on my PC right now, so I'm fine sticking with my Caviar Black.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site

Was thinking of doing a build later this year assuming AMD would release a new line of desktop CPUs but at the moment it looks like they will just stick with FX series for now. So hopefully they come out with some new FX processors with 125W

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Was thinking of doing a build later this year assuming AMD would release a new line of desktop CPUs but at the moment it looks like they will just stick with FX series for now. So hopefully they come out with some new FX processors with 125W

Nope, they aren't. The earliest you'll see a new AMD FX chip is 2015. They're skipping Steamroller (2014's APU cores) for the FX line, but they're MAYBE going to have an Excavator chip next year.

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

Just vi with the latest fx cpu if you want amd, they are amazing! Abd when it comes round to the next line of cpus for AMD they will either be compatible for your mobo already or it wont be much to upgrade.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Wrong, AMD is unlikely to keep the same socket next time around. Their AM3+ socket's really old as it is. You're likely to see Excavator come with AM4 or something, and possibly with DDR4 support, so the board won't be reusable, and AMD boards aren't much cheaper than Intel (if at all).

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

Wrong, AMD is unlikely to keep the same socket next time around. Their AM3+ socket's really old as it is. You're likely to see Excavator come with AM4 or something, and possibly with DDR4 support, so the board won't be reusable, and AMD boards aren't much cheaper than Intel (if at all).
Correct, i just realised the succession if sockets vs release dates, ie am3, am3+ etc.

Which is good though, i fforgot how long that socket had been kicking around for.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The new talk is that AMD is going to kill their current core setup, ditching the modules used since Bulldozer. They're also looking at a shared socket for their x86 and ARM stuff, though I think that's only on the mobile side. Neither sounds like it'll happen for about 2 years, so I'd regardless be wary about taking anything from AMD over that time.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Next project will be a new PC for my grandma. Nothing special or fancy, just a build for internet browsing and low-graphics "gaming" (Mahjong, simple adventures).
Most likely to get these parts:

~57€ AMD A6-5400K
~50€ MSI FM2-A75MA-P33
~45€ Corsair CX430
~57€ WD Blue 1TB
~30-40€ generic case
~40-40€ DDR3 1600MHz 2x2GB
~289-299€

Would've liked a mini-ITX MoBo and case but the prices for them (in combination with enough SATA, USB2.0/3.0 and a DVI port) are too high.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Why do you need DVI, monitor re-use? HDMI wasn't on the table?

Yes, unfortunately both our monitors don't have a HDMI port -_-
Hopefully going to replace my monitor with one that has an HDMI port and 1080p res this year.

I'm just glad I managed to get the price as low as under 300€ (only because I'm going to clone the HDD that is in her current PC (and hopefully it's not one of those "bound to motherboard" OS versions -_-).

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Yep, it's one of those OEM versions, so the OS is bound to the motherboard.

And to make it worse: the current PC died this morning. Won't boot, no matter what; even tried different HDDs and boot from disc...nothing works and it doesn't even work with my old PC -_-

Shopping for the parts after the weekend -_-

Damn, I'm pissed....

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean, it "died?"

My dad's PSU kicked it last night, 1000-watt Raidmax power supply. How's it react to trying to turn on? PSUs are usually the first thing to check after a HDD failure, so I'd try hooking up your PSU (or any spare you have there) and trying it.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Starting with a very short "beep", then Intel logo, then nothing (not even able to enter BIOS.
Tried it with my old one which suddenly behaves the same. Installed various HDDs (clean and with OS), put in the recovery disc and installation disc....no success.
And the PC I've had before that has a broken IDE drive in it -_-

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmmh, might be the CPU or board. Regardless, are you sure the OS is board-bound? The version I got required a reinstall after putting my new one in, but it didn't outright refuse the reinstall or anything. I didn't know OEMs did that to their discs.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmmh, might be the CPU or board. Regardless, are you sure the OS is board-bound? The version I got required a reinstall after putting my new one in, but it didn't outright refuse the reinstall or anything. I didn't know OEMs did that to their discs.

Yes, I still have the package (which came with the PC) and it says "OEM" on it, which is known to be bound to board. Also, it's Vista 32bit which doesn't get any updates anymore.

Even if it was "just" the board or CPU....it's socket 775 like my old one (we have/had 2 identical PCs). Getting a replacement CPU/board is sheer impossible and not worth the money (only a matter of time until the rest of the components die). I CAN get a "new" mobo but they are just as expensive as current gen models. CPUs aren't available anymore -> http://geizhals.at/?cat=cpup7

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, there's no reason to bother with replacing such old hardware, was just making a general statement. At least you were already planning the replacement, so it lived exactly as long as it needed to, haha.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, there's no reason to bother with replacing such old hardware, was just making a general statement. At least you were already planning the replacement, so it lived exactly as long as it needed to, haha.

Not quite^^ It would have been much more relaxed if it died the minute I turn on the new one^^
Now I have to look for free games for Linux/Ubuntu so my grandma can play some games until we get a free and legal copy of Windows 7 from a friend of mine.

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Not quite^^ It would have been much more relaxed if it died the minute I turn on the new one^^
Now I have to look for free games for Linux/Ubuntu so my grandma can play some games until we get a free and legal copy of Windows 7 from a friend of mine.

If you want you can install windows 8.1 embedded industry pro its free to download and install from microsoft dreamspark if you are register member over there.:)

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
If you want you can install windows 8.1 embedded industry pro its free to download and install from microsoft dreamspark if you are register member over there.:)

Huge thanks!
I actually didn't know about this. Need to read up about the conditions first (like what happens with the OS when I'm no longer a student/after I get my bachelors degree).

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Huge thanks!
I actually didn't know about this. Need to read up about the conditions first (like what happens with the OS when I'm no longer a student/after I get my bachelors degree).

It will be still valid the only thing will happen is you wont get free developer account promo code and tools in short your account wont be consider as a student so you wont receive free stuff from them :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb