SSD or HDD as your main drive?

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey WC

What drive do you use as your main storage?
HDD or an SSD? This could be your boot drive or a second drive with more storage. Anything you want.

Maybe you could share which name brand drive you have/prefer and the total storage capacity it holds.

How many storage devices do you have? (I have wayyy to many, lol)

How long have you had it?

The discussion is open to all

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a crap load. But only have a Samsung EVO 850 (512gb) installed now as my primary or main aka OS drive. Storage, I have a couple of SSHDs and a couple HDDs.

Have two SSDs that I have sitting on my desk that I'm not using. Not sure why.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I have a crap load. But only have a Samsung EVO 850 (512gb) installed now as my primary or main aka OS drive. Storage, I have a couple of SSHDs and a couple HDDs.

Have two SSDs that I have sitting on my desk that I'm not using. Not sure why.

Same! I have a Intel SSD (around only 200Gb) and a Sandisk or Kingston SSD (Not sure of the storage capacity) sitting on my desk.

I might just sell them or something, lol.

2TB HDD in me ancient desktop.
256GB in me ancient notebook.

Nice!

"ancient" Lol. I use to have an old Macintosh G3... you know, this thing.

"Think Different" Lol

34056f3332e35022ea6efb447a56f333.jpg

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The fifty dollar 2.5" HDD I recently purchased for a second drive evidently is no slouch even though it's @ 5400 rpm.
Seems to read/write quickly on this new notebook that did include the SSD as the main drive.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I've always wanted to get a stripped SSD raid array for my main drive (obviously with regular backups as I already so). You know, so the speed is just insane. Could use cheap SSDs too like 64gb or 128gb.

Currently 128GB ssd, 1tb hhd for media, and 2tb external disk for backups.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a WD 256 M.2 SSD. I got this after I built my gaming rig as this option allowed me to remove a hardware cage, to potentially upgrade a larger GPU if I want.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
All my PC/laptops/MacBook Pro all have an SSD (256GB min) for the OS with most having an extra HDD for storage... Usually turf CD/DVD drive in favour of more space on lappy's.

Don't game but do take lots of pictures/videos. As for the amount of devices, waaay too many and at some point we'll be looking into something larger in capacity to minimize the clutter but then... Don't wanna put everything into one basket either if you know what I mean.

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Well... let's see now. When I built my Skylake system in late 2015, I went with a M.2 drive for the OS and repurposed my old drives so..

256gb Samsung SM951 - AHCI version. Not as fast as NVME brother but still like 2000 read and 1500 write. But honestly, going from the old Sata SSD... I really didn't notice the difference in day to day activities.

500gb Samsung 840 (non-Evo). relegated this to game storage. 4 years old and still in perfect health.

2tb WD green for pictures and movies.
4tb WD MyBook I think it is. Just a back up.
1tb 2.5" HGST (formerly Hitachi) Just secondary storage. It works so... why not. LOL.

Numerous 1tb external drives and a bunch of thumb drives. I'm addicted to storage for some reason.

Oh... a little tip. If you are interested in a blazing fast USB drive, check out the Lexar P10. 64GB for $40 US ($55 CAD) 400mb Read, 240mb Write. Its like a little SSD.

Soirehk

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
A 7200rpm hdd you won't notice to much compared to an Ssd, I recommend an Ssd for the OS and maybe huge open world games, but in generally unless you compare them side by side in games, you won't notice that much of a difference

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
A 7200rpm hdd you won't notice to much compared to an Ssd, I recommend an Ssd for the OS and maybe huge open world games, but in generally unless you compare them side by side in games, you won't notice that much of a difference

Oh I noticed! Lol.

Switching from a Western Digital 7200rpm HDD to a Samsung 850 Pro was a big jump in speed.

From booting up the OS, to loading programs many times quicker was noticeable.

Then again, soon after getting the SSD I bought a few 1TB HDDs for more storage, two of them were 7200rpm Western Digital Blue HDD and 1 was a Western Digital Green 5400rpm.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a 250gb Samusung 850 where my OS is installed.
And a 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm for my games.

Planning to get an additional 2TB WD Blue for my files.

Katelyn Tan

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
I have a 120GB SSD as my main drive.

I used to have all the files, plus the OS on my 1TB HDD, but since the SSD was only $40ish, I decided to try it out. I'm never gonna use anything other than an SSD as my OS drive, it's just a lot faster. I also prefer most of my "main" programs and games on it. For performance's sake.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used a computer (regularly) with an HDD as the main drive for probably over a year. SSDs are low cost now, so there's little reason. Years ago we used to tell our customers to add RAM to increase performance; now we tell them to upgrade to an SSD.

I work in IT, so I have access to high quality components at relatively low cost. This probably helps! At home I have an HP laptop, a desktop running Windows and/or Linux, a Macbook, and a Mac mini. They all have SSDs. My workstation at work also has an SSD. When I get on a computer with an HDD, I can tell immediately because of the performance.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
When money is no object, SSD all the way. For most systems the System Drive will be the bottleneck if they are running a HDD, even raid and scsi cant compete with a good SSD setup. This has been my experience troubleshooting and working on systems for other people. Then when I flipped the cash for my own, it confirmed it.

And the bonus of a quieter system and less heat are nice too. Less moving parts means it should last longer as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven