How much RAM do you have in your PC?

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Heyyo

Just a curious question for the community.

How much RAM do you have?

How much RAM do you normally use?

Maybe you can share which name brand you have and prefer.

Why did you decide to get so much RAM or why didn't you beef it up a bit more?

How long have you had it?

This discussion is open to any and everyone!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
16GB in me ancient desktop.
I think it's Corsair DDR3 with those cool looking fins on there in red.
Remembering back it was a kit on closeout at FRY's Electronics a few years ago.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Heyyo

Just a curious question for the community.

How much RAM do you have?
16GB (4x4GB)

How much RAM do you normally use?
Of the 16GB? When I'm using my El Gato recorder, usually around 60-70%.

Maybe you can share which name brand you have and prefer.
G.SKILL

Why did you decide to get so much RAM or why didn't you beef it up a bit more?
Actually wanted 32GB, but had already spent $500 on my processor at the time. And TBH, spent a lot more than I expected because I didn't use the rebates. I want 8x8GB, however I'm not sure when I'll do that.

How long have you had it?
Since I built it from scratch. 2015 -- around March or April.

This discussion is open to any and everyone!

Yup

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
16GB in me ancient desktop.
I think it's Corsair DDR3 with those cool looking fins on there in red.
Remembering back it was a kit on closeout at FRY's Electronics a few years ago.

Nice

I have 16GB myself "Corsair Vengeance Pro" with the Red top with a black body and label. It's very purty looking in my PC, lol.

Last edited:

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
@Duvi
Nice

You wanted 8x8GB??? Oh my.. Lol.

I think the max of my RAM I used is probably around 90%.... so I need MORE, lol.

AND I had my RAM for only a few months... maybe around September or November, so fairly new.

Last edited:

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
16GB of Kingston HyperX Fury. Everyday tasks/gaming using probably half or so. When working on any rendering stuff, there is never enough available. :)

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Nice

Everyone so far is using 16GB!

Anyone use 128GB of RAM? Lol, I doubt it.

Most I'll probably ever do is 64gb for the near future. Depends on the price really. If they have a going out of business sale, and they cost the same as 32gb, I'm in there, like swimwear. Lol.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My main PC is a laptop and that has 8 GB of RAM, non-upgradeable. It is more than enough but I can certainly fill it if I tried with a VM and a game. Chrome doesn't help.

My backup is an old Core 2 Duo machine that currently has 2x2 GB but I'm trying to get one of my 1x4 GB sticks back from a friend after I donated them to her Macbook.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
16GB G.Skill 2133 Mhz (8X2) CL-9 @DDR3

For gaming

Nice!

Can't go wrong with 16GB, and I'm also a fan of G.Skill, I had 4x2GB a while back.

Had 16 GB (2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue) until a few weeks ago but decided to fill the spare 2 slots with a further 2x 4 GB of the same to make a total of 24 GB. It seemed sensible to do it now for future-proofing given that I plan to keep this machine (Haswell i7 4770K) for the next few years at least, and the price of DDR3 will be going up now/soon that it is no longer the current generation and will so become more scarce over time. Use it for gaming, virtualisation etc so more RAM is generally better :smile:

24GB? Oh my... lol. Sounds great!

We got someone that passed the boundaries of 16GB... well until I upgrade maybe later this year.

My main PC is a laptop and that has 8 GB of RAM, non-upgradeable. It is more than enough but I can certainly fill it if I tried with a VM and a game. Chrome doesn't help.

My backup is an old Core 2 Duo machine that currently has 2x2 GB but I'm trying to get one of my 1x4 GB sticks back from a friend after I donated them to her Macbook.

Nice

8GB can certainly work!

I had a Core 2 Duo a while back. I had no problem with the daily tasks I did, but my RAM back then was holding me back (either 1 or 2GB Ram)

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Nice!

Can't go wrong with 16GB, and I'm also a fan of G.Skill, I had 4x2GB a while back.

That 2133 was originally for an A10 APU build. I had to scrap that build since none of the local shops had AMD.
The RAM arrived too fast for me to cancel the order.
I had to switch to Intel. I am using 2133 with XMP.
It is really fast !

Rest of the system config is here Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3199.25 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR (CPU Z Link)

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
That 2133 was originally for an A10 APU build. I had to scrap that build since none of the local shops had AMD.
The RAM arrived too fast for me to cancel the order.
I had to switch to Intel. I am using 2133 with XMP.
It is really fast !

Rest of the system config is here Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3199.25 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR (CPU Z Link)

Nice! I feel like i need faster RAM, but then again I always feel the need to upgrade something. Lol.

I'm currently trying to sell an i5-4590 from my second Pc build. Finally decided to upgrade it to a i7 4790 or 4790K.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have an older HP laptop with 8GB RAM, because that's all it will support. I also have a 2011 Macbook with 16GB RAM, and a 2012 Mac Mini with 16GB.

What happens is that I usually max out the machine's capacity!

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Same here. Aiming for 4790K and RX 480.

Nice!

I needed to upgrade it asap because I need something that works better with heavier workloads! Might even try a Xeon CPU but probably not, lol.

I have an older HP laptop with 8GB RAM, because that's all it will support. I also have a 2011 Macbook with 16GB RAM, and a 2012 Mac Mini with 16GB.

What happens is that I usually max out the machine's capacity!

Mac user in the house!

I miss my old MacBook... just sold it the other day.

2 machines with 16GB and 1 with 8GB sounds great my friend!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire