What's The Longest Time You've Gone Without Upgrading Your PC?

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
A question for anyone in the community.
What is the longest you have gone without upgrading your PC as a whole or without upgrading components?

Do you upgrading quarterly? Yearly? Every few years? Maybe you don't remember when

I'd say I upgrade something from one of my two rigs every few months. I'm really impatient when it comes to buying PC components.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Good qweestion :)

Ummm...I can't remember how long it's been.
As you know I did move to a notebook as a desktop last month.

I guess it's been about ten years since I've upgraded in major fashion.
Mobile is taking over my on-line and data connection needs so the upgrades there have been 2-3 months.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's been 3½ years for me. Since I'm not into gaming any more, I don't really have a need for the latest and greatest. Like @Guytronic I also do more on my mobile devices these days.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Currently - 7 years. It runs pretty good still - AMD dual core unit. I use it for mostly local storage so it won't get upgraded until MSFT fully drops Windows 8.1 support.

Last edited:

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Good qweestion :)

Ummm...I can't remember how long it's been.
As you know I did move to a notebook as a desktop last month.

I guess it's been about ten years since I've upgraded in major fashion.
Mobile is taking over my on-line and data connection needs so the upgrades there have been 2-3 months.

New record maybe? Nice!
Yup, mobile and portable devices are sure taking over (the world that is).

It's been 3½ years for me. Since I'm not into gaming any more, I don't really have a need for the latest and greatest. Like @Guytronic I also do more on my mobile devices these days.

Understandable. :)
The mobile world is taking over everything, lol.

Currently - 7 years. It runs pretty good still - AMD dual core unit. I use it for mostly local storage so it won't get upgraded until MSFT fully drops Windows 8.1 support.

That's going to be some time there buddy, they just stopped with Vista not too long ago.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a ancient XP desktop in the house, I stopped using for obvious reason. The last HW upgrade was when I added more RAM, ie some 4-5 years ago. Don't have much use of it except running some DVD authoring (two words you seldom hear used anymore) software.

It was also about that time I started using the company Win7 laptop, and WP8 emerged...

Oh, I used to run SETI on it, 24-7. But no more.

... !!

Last edited:

maddogmoffit

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Depends on what we are talking about.
Graphics, every other generation.
Processor and motherboard, every 5th or 6th generation.
Memory and storage, as needed.
That is the reason to have an self build system in a miditower. You switch out components based on your need or for fun.

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Varies. Looking back I've had an entirely new rig every 4-5 years since 95 so arguably I'm on my 5th different rig. The first 3 were purchased complete, last 2 self build.

In terms on how often I make changes, depends on money in the bank and needs - I have replaced the motherboard/cpu every 4-5 years but my current 4 year old haswell based build is likely to last far longer.

GPU - usually every 2 years but I've had my current 970 for 2 and a half years and I simply don't see any reason to upgrade it for now, especially since I'm perfectly happy with my 24" 1200p monitor.

tbh since I started building myself, I'm on the longest stretch without making any changes to my gaming rig and apart from another SSD I don't see myself upgrading it before the end of the decade.

Rahsna Asurac

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Great question ^_^

I am a casual gamer and though I like the latest and greatest, I tend to wait for leaps in tech evolution.

I upgrade based on the above.

Last time my graphic card got updated was in the start of 2016. My SSD was in 2014, my motherboard and CPU was in 2012, and finally my screen was in 2011.
There were minor upgrades in between like a blu-ray player, but that was out of need rather than desire for more performance 😏

crabby2004

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Well... I just built my new rig last month... And the rig it replaced was... 10 YEARS OLD! Over those ten years, I had one GPU upgrade and that was it.

My original rig was a Q6600 with an nvidia 7600gt. Upgraded to a Radeon 7850 when the fps became unbearable.

The Q6600 did me proud until Civ 6 came out... Turns times were ridiculous and I started being laughed at by my friends.

Now moved on to a Ryzen 1600 and Nvidia 1070.

I am a causal gamer... I only game to have fun. Graphics are cool and all that, but I like getting my monies worth and as long as I have 30fps on this new rig I'll keep it, so here's to another decade!

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I have a computer that 7 years old. I don't play many games anymore due to its old and haven't had any luck on a good job for regular how. But it still runs good even after all these years. :) one day id like a whole new desktop.

arrow002

Aug 24, 2017
Visit site
My first computer had a 8600m GT in it, the 7600gt reminds me of that. I wish it hadn't broken (the 8600m GT was notorious for being defective, though reballing/oven heating revived it for about a month). Pain to do on a laptop. Lasted 6 years.
The next computer, now also approaching 6 years, is soon to be replaced. So I'd say 6 years on average.
As you said, a casual gamer does not need much. A laptop casual gamer needs even less.

Talking about mobile devices... if I hadn't won a new phone three years ago I'd still be using my Windows Mobile phone from 09'. Even the battery is alright over all this time.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I've been doing this for 25+ years now. Typically I upgrade the motherboard, processor, and RAM every 3-4 years, and the other components as needed, which could be a shorter or longer period of time. For example, my case is about 10 years old but my Blu-ray drive is less than a year old because the previous one died. I upgrade the graphics card when I have something that requires a newer one. For example, I upgraded to a GeForce GTX 970 last year to accommodate my Oculus Rift.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
What is the longest you have gone without upgrading your PC as a whole or without upgrading components?

Do you upgrading quarterly? Yearly? Every few years? Maybe you don't remember when

I'd say I upgrade something from one of my two rigs every few months. I'm really impatient when it comes to buying PC components.

I have been using the same PC for almost 5 years now... and it was a cheap PC 5 years ago lol.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Mine is custom built by me. The longest I went between upgrading components is three years when I we unemployed, for obvious reasons. I just replaced my 1600x900 monitor from 2009 for a pair of 1080p monitors. The oldest component in my computer besides the HDDs I use as backup storage is the motherboard. When I replace it, I plan on going to Ryzen. I'm waiting on their "second generation" so that they have all the bugs worked out.

My next upgrade will be a whole system overhaul. New MB, SSD, CPU, and GPU. I'm using a discontinued LAN box as a case that I love because it is about 85% vents. The power supply is more than sufficient and my pair of 1080p monitors is enough for me for now. I would have loved to have gotten a 4K curved display but I think I'll wait on that.

PeterFnet

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
3 years, and that's now. Whenever there are tangible changes in architecture and/performance, I upgrade. For example, when Intel releases the next generation for the i-Series processor next year with their next-gen Thunderbolt 3 controller, that's when I will upgrade. There hasn't been a new Thunderbolt 3 chipset for a few years.

MikeB0514

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Depends on what we are talking about.
Graphics, every other generation.
Processor and motherboard, every 5th or 6th generation.
Memory and storage, as needed.
That is the reason to have an self build system in a miditower. You switch out components based on your need or for fun.

Pretty much the same for me. However, I won't upgrade unless some application/game I'm looking to run, needs more than my desktop can provide.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Last time I waited for 4 years, this time I built a more capable PC so I believe this will last me 5 years. In my opinion desktop PCs should be upgraded every 5 years and phones and laptops every 2-3 years.

Clive Rennie

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Its been awhile i have a core i5 with 16 gigs of ddr 3 ram 1 terabyte ssd plus 2 terabyte hd for storage i.e. itunes pics stuff like that 2 gig amd video card but its not certified for vr or mixed reality do i need to just change the video card the cpu is 5th generation otherwise my system is extremely fast for everything else

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99