CHALLENGE: Build a 4k Gaming PC for $499 - Match Xbox One X

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Title tells it all, challenging PC building enthusiasts if you can build a 4k gaming PC that matches the Xbox One X performance and price.

Is it possible?

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
^ I'm sure that building a 4k gaming PC that blows the Xbox One X out of the water can be done.
The challenge however is to keep the price close to the $499 it is going to be sold.

Keep it fun! that's the challenge. No debates.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Great Thread!

It is said that the Xbox One X CPU will 'roughly' equal the performance of an Intel Core i3 since the clock speed is a bit weaker regardless of the cores (I'm guessing it's AMD based), so that makes it a bit easier. (Not saying that it is easy, lol)

http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-how-microsofts-xbox-one-x-compares-to-a-pc/

In order to match the price AND performance, I have to do some digging.

CPU: Intel Core i3 7350K (Overclockable) ($114.99)

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB ($249.99)

RAM 8GB ddr3 ($50) (XBOX One X is said to only be able to use 9GB)

Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-VD PLUS ($50)

Now by all means, this build is not recommended by me for doing 4K gaming. It's capable, but I would personally go at least with an Intel Core i5 and 16GB RAM

Edited: This is NOT my final build. I would need to do more digging to match the requirements.

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Great Thread!

It is said that the Xbox One X CPU will 'roughly' equal the performance of an Intel Core i3 since the clock speed is a bit weaker regardless of the cores (I'm guessing it's AMD based), so that makes it a bit easier. (Not saying that it is easy, lol)

http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-how-microsofts-xbox-one-x-compares-to-a-pc/

In order to match the price AND performance, I have to do some digging.

CPU: Intel Core i3 7350K (Overclockable) ($114.99)

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB ($249.99)

RAM 8GB ddr3 ($50) (XBOX One X is said to only be able to use 9GB)

Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-VD PLUS ($50)

Now by all means, this build is not recommended by me for doing 4K gaming. It's capable, but I would personally go at least with an Intel Core i5 and 16GB RAM

Edited: This is NOT my final build. I would need to do more digging to match the requirements.

Don't forget the HDD and Power Supply.

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
There are so many variables...

4K 60? 4K 30? Max settings? Minimum settings? If the goal would be to play the majority of games at 4K 60 at medium settings, you would need at least a 1080... There is your whole budget.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Don't forget the HDD and Power Supply.

How's this? :-/
All prices are from Newegg.com

Motherboard: MSI H110M ($50)
RAM: 8GB ddr3 ($48) (cheapest I could find that looked good and was compatible.)

HDD: 1TB WD Blue ($50)
PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ ($40)
GPU: GTX 1050TI MSI GAMING X ($165)
CPU: Intel Core i3 7100 ($120)

Grand total: 473.00

Still not finished. Lol. I would like an i5 CPU

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Xbox One X is suppose to release running native 4K @60 FPS or not?

Or possibly 4K @30 FPS?

It's going to depend on the game and the engine being used, and of course on what resources and visual effects the devs enable for their game.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Here's a technically in-depth review of the hardware inside the Xbox One X from AnandTech.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11992/the-xbox-one-x-review

For those doubting the Xbox One X's 4k capabilities, this answers it. In the end it's still up to the developer how they will utilize the power in the box.

With 6 TFLOPS of peak shader throughput, the Xbox One X truly can, and does, game at 4K. But, that doesn’t mean every Xbox One X Enhanced title is going to target 4K. There’s a lot you can do with the extra shader performance to increase visuals, and Microsoft has left it up to the developers to decide how they want to use the extra performance. From the Xbox side, their goal was to provide the same tools, which are already well known to developers, but with more performance available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes