Review Request: New Dell Inspiron 14 & 15 7000 Models Released in U.S. with Infinity Edge Display

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Review Request: New Dell Inspiron 14 & 15 7000 Models Released in U.S. with Infinity Edge Display

Dell has recently brought the XPS style Infinity Edge display to 2 Inspiron Models: the Inspiron 14 7000 7460 and the Inspiron 15 7000 7560.

Inspiron 14 7000 Laptop Details | Dell United States

laptops-ins-14-7460nt-gy-gd-pdp_2.jpg

Inspiron 15 7000 Series Laptop | Dell United States

laptops-ins-15-7560nt-gy-gd-pdp_2.jpg

They seem to be playing to the budget XPS market. For some reason, both laptops start at around $750. The display on these laptops only comes in FHD. Dell put the webcam in the center of the lower bezel on these laptops, which is an advantage over the XPS models where the webcam is off to the side. They also only take up to 16 GB of RAM, but are currently offered at a maximum of 8 GB. They both use the Intel Dual Core ULV processors. The 14-inch version is offered with GTX 940MX discrete graphics. Surprisingly, they both have an RJ45 connector, something that the XPS laptops don't have. I guess this is a trade off from USB-C, which is not included with these laptops. They also have an internal, removable 42 WHr battery, which I think may be a make or break feature for this laptop, but I could be wrong.

According to web searches, these laptops were released internationally sometime around late 2016, but only were recently released in the U.S. Because of this, there seem to be no U.S. based reviews found on these laptops from any of the major review sites/magazines. Can anyone post their take on any of these laptops on this forum, or can someone from Windows Central do a review on these laptops? I want to know if they are any good. Thanks.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Re: Review Request: New Dell Inspiron 14 & 15 7000 Models Released in U.S. with Infinity Edge Displa

I can't tell you any personal experience I've had with these laptops, but I can tell you I would expect:
Screens will be good quality but they won't be mind blowing. You'll be satisfied but they're not going to be XPS level and they're not going to be great in sunshine.
Build quality will be good, and durable, but these things aren't super thin and light and they're not going to wow your friends. They're exactly what you expect to see in an office: noticeably bulky, plastic, clean, efficient.
Keyboard and trackpad will be quite good, but I'd still suggest using a mouse over the trackpad. They're likely plastic and the texture might not be great.
Performance will be good. I wouldn't be doing any gaming on these things, but you're not going to have any slow down with the vast majority of computer tasks.

Overall, the Inspiron laptops tend to be good budget options that offer good performance and build quality for not a lot. Honestly, I'm not sure how much you're paying for that Infinity Edge display, so I might look around some more for something that gives a better all around value without unnecessary niceties like that display. I know there are Inspirons that have dGPU's, USP Type-C, Windows Hello and other features like that that aren't available here. You could also look at HP, they have a lot of good options. If you're willing to go up a little there's plenty of high-end laptops before you hit the "premium" market.