Docking Station/USB Hub

reedsutton

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone found a way to hook it up to an external monitor or projector directly without a USB Hub? Can you just get a Micro USB to VGA adapter?

I am about to order one, just wanted to see if anyone has tried it.

Thanks,
Reed

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think the best option is to use a Miracast wireless HDMI adapter, but unfortunately it doesn't work very well right now.

Anyone found a way to hook it up to an external monitor or projector directly without a USB Hub? Can you just get a Micro USB to VGA adapter?

I am about to order one, just wanted to see if anyone has tried it.

Thanks,
Reed

mpholic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a USB display adapter connected to my DV9P via a powered USB hub. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse, external HD, DVD burner and external monitor (via usb Display adaptor) all working at the same time. Using the software included with the display adaptor I can turn off the DV8P screen and the battery drain is very low.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have seen several things posted and possibilities but I don't think anything has been confirmed as working.

Is there anyway to connect the 8 Pro to a dock to run external monitors and keyboards and charge it at the same time? Confirmed as working.

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have seen several things posted and possibilities but I don't think anything has been confirmed as working.

Is there anyway to connect the 8 Pro to a dock to run external monitors and keyboards and charge it at the same time? Confirmed as working.

Yes. I use the Actiontec Pro Miracast to stream to my tv while having using my old BlackBerry PlayBook Bluetooth keyboard with built in track pad to control it. I guess I could just as easily connect a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse directly to the Bluetooth profile as well to have the same results. You don't have to use the accompanying Bluetooth dongle to get them to work. You can connect directly.

I should add that this is a totally wireless solution with no cables needed. Works within 50 feet.

horaceunit

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I realize this is an old tread and this might not make much difference anymore, but I recently got a DV8P and picked up a Kensington K33955/M01065 model universal laptop dock and using an OTA cable (no charging capabilities) I have a monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse and 10/100 Ethernet set up that works great. It also gives me front audio (headphone and mic) and a front USB (got a 16 gig usb flash drive in it), as well as 4 usb ports on the back (one has the keyboard/mouse receiver in it). It also has a rear audio input in the back that the monitor speakers are plugged into. I suspect most universal laptop docks that work with Windows 7 will work with the DV8P. I think the main thing to look out for is that they use displaylink for the digital video output to the monitor (most I have seen are DVI with a VGA adapter, which, of course, you don't need if you have a monitor with a DVI input) because there is updated software for the displaylink driver for Windows 8. Works great for me and it is basically a Windows 8 PC when it is all plugged in. I have some cables on order that will supposedly allow me to charge it at the same time and if that works it will really be functional! Here is the link to that: How to use USB devices with your Dell Venue 8 Pro and charge it at the same time - Todd Klindt's SharePoint Admin Blog

ToddKlindt

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I have some cables on order that will supposedly allow me to charge it at the same time and if that works it will really be functional! Here is the link to that: How to use USB devices with your Dell Venue 8 Pro and charge it at the same time - Todd Klindt's SharePoint Admin Blog

Did you get them yet? Everyone I've talked to said it took around 3 weeks. :( It's obviously working for me. I've noticed the "Data" switch will stick through reboots, which was an unexpected surprise.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: "I am ideally looking for a docking station which charges, allows me to plug in Ethernet, and at least 2 USB devices."

As per my posting in this thread here...
http://forums.windowscentral.com/dell-venue-8-pro/286563-usb-hub-rj45-waw.html

The Vantec 3-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Gigabit Ethernet Port (UGT-MH330GNA) would seem to serve your needs. Powered hub w/3 USB outlets + Ethernet plugin. Everything works well, including Ethernet.

Additionally, charging and data at the same time is now available thru a few options. I just received my '+port' unit (a charge + data solution) available directly from mobiledesignlabs.com. It works perfectly and is a simple elegant solution to the one micro port limitation on the Dv8P. And I've tested it with flash drives, mouse, keyboard thru the Vantec 3 port USB hub + Ethernet. Haven't tested a display yet. The low power plugins don't need the power from the hub but the display likely will. Very happy with both of these products

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3