Docking Station/USB Hub

SpacePsych

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I know the 8 doesn't have a full sized USB port like the 11, just the micro-USB for charging. Is there anything out yet that you can attach external accessories and charge the device at the same time?

I don't really need a full docking station for monitor capabilities, but I am ideally looking for a docking station which charges, allows me to plug in Ethernet, and at least 2 USB devices.

We are currently looking into the Venue 8 Pro to mount into walls for a specific purpose and these would be perfect and cost-effective enough if I can find a docking station to meet those specifics.

Thanks!

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I have not encountered any such devices. May want to reach out to dell to see what all protocols the usb port on the device supports.

MethodGT

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
It would be great if we could charge AND plug in USB devices at the same time. I doubt it though. I'll have to look into it.

SpacePsych

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so some updates from researching.

USB hubs should NOT provide power to the upstream port (one that this micro-USB AB will be connect to for data). This is a safety feature that hubs need to follow to comply with specifications. The powered hubs only supply voltage to downstream ports or your accessories. So this option is a no go!

However, I found a solution!
***Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power

Check these out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CX...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2190582

One will connect to the standard AC power supply that came with the Venue, the other connects to a USB hub it accessory and has data out. Perfect solution!

The negative reviews are because people don't realize the Nexus (Android) doesn't support external accessories the same way a Windows tab would.

Okay, so I have ordered one of these (from a faster shipper from the one listed) and hopefully when my Venue 8 Pro arrives we can do a test.

I plan on hooking up this Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power to the Venue 8 Pro. One side to the AC power, other splitter with data to a simple BUS-hub. The hub will connect to a Ethernet adapter and Logitech webcam. I will then test the adapter and webcam and ensure the tablet reports being plugged in and not losing charge.

Then we will have our answer and I will be satisfied!

Hope others find this helpful!

SpacePsych

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I want to bump this now that people have their hands on it. I have the connector that I mentioned above. Just waiting on the tablet itself to come in.

Anyone who has received the tablet give this a try yet?

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have MHL adapter that I use for my Galaxy Nexus, ill try to use it tonight on my DV8P..............if that doesn't work, ill pick up a Miracast receiver

lorend

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I want to bump this now that people have their hands on it. I have the connector that I mentioned above. Just waiting on the tablet itself to come in.

Anyone who has received the tablet give this a try yet?

I just received this version of the cable.
The OTG part works fine but unfortunately the pass-through charging (to the v8pro) does not.

Would be interested in others experiences with different cables.
Seems like I saw a mention of one that worked in the giant owner's lounge thread at tabletpcreview but I can't locate the post now.

WillBrown

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Francoenlanoche

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok please just answer me a question because i want to buy this tablet, if i want to connect a flash drive to the venue pro can i use a simple microusb to usb (female) cablennd thats it? Or i have to use a powered hub?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3