Picked up a Venue 8 Pro today at Walmart...

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
...and having issues right out of the box.

First, it is clear that Windows 8.1 still doesn't have portrait view in mind. I went through the initial setup like this, and some sections had black bars at the top and bottom while others just had really small text. Normally this doesn't bother me, but I was trying to think like an average consumer. Setup is a lot better/easier on a Android or iOS tablet (yes I know one is a full feature OS and the others aren't).

So one of the first things I do is go to the desktop. I am surprised to see the following watermark: "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly. Build 9600." Seriously? Imagine a non-techy person seeing this! I don't know if this shows on all of these devices, but I hope for Dell's sake that it doesn't. I am currently updating Windows so we will see if anything is fixed. If not, I feel some time wasting coming up to get it fixed.

I have owned the device for less then an hour so I am far from giving a final opinion. That said, it isn't a good start.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Dealing with Dell's Customer Service right now...so far I think I know more about the product than the person...

Update: Guy took remote control and is now updating the BIOS....

Last edited:

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow, not a great first impression. Definitely sounds like it should be a great product with that battery life and full Windows 8.1. Keep the info coming on your experience. I just got a Surface 2 and am interested to hear more about this device.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So the CSR told me how to get into the BIOS. He told me to turn on Secure Boot, which I am kind of surprised it isn't turned on by default. I did that and restarting the tablet. It still showed the watermark. The CSR then told me to hold on for a few minutes while he researches the issue.

While waiting, I decided to go back into the BIOS and look through the settings myself. I discovered a settign called "Secure Boot Mode" with the option "Custom" selected. I tapped on it and the other choice was "Standard." I asked the rep. if I should change it. He said yes. I changed it, saved settings and rebooted the device. Fixed!

It is pretty sad that I found the setting to fix the problem...

I am going to create a thread dedicated to fixing this problem, because I doubt I will be the only one.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Your first mistake, picking up hardware at walmart. The way they beat warehouses down on prices, warehouses build the cheapest products they can especially FOR walmart. I would never risk buying expensive electronics from there. Never.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Your first mistake, picking up hardware at walmart. The way they beat warehouses down on prices, warehouses build the cheapest products they can especially FOR walmart.

I typically agree. After I fixed a couple problems out of the box, it has been working quite well actually.

Lurchorama

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping to find the Venue 8 on their website, get a mate to grab it and ship it to Oz; but cannot find it :(

Oh well; Dell reckons 'late November' for Australia.

wshwe

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought my Surface RT at Walmart. No problems what so ever. They didn't hassle me about extended warranties like other stores do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes