Fixing "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" watermark issue.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
[INFO]BIOS updated appears to be required. Go Here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ageCode%3Den%26categoryId%3DBI&token=QokvmLvT

This will do an automated BIOS update for you.[/INFO]

I was amazed to find a watermark on my new Dell Venue 8 Pro that said "Secure Boot isn't configured correctly". Obviously this shouldn't be here! Here is how you fix this:

1. Press the "Power" button to turn on your tablet.
2. Immediately hold down the "Down Volume" button for a few seconds. Make sure you start the press before the Dell logo appears.
3. Release the "Down Volume" button.
[WARN]Only continue if you are comfortable working inside of the BIOS. You can do serious damage to your device if you don't follow directions closely.[/WARN]
4. The BIOS should appear.
5. Tap the "Boot" menu at the top.
6. Find the setting that says "Secure Boot". Make sure it says "Enabled." If it says "Disabled," tap "Disabled" and then tap "Enabled."
7. Now, tap the "Security" menu.
8. Find the "Secure Boot Mode" setting. Make sure it says "Standard." If it says "Custom," tap "Custom" and then tap "Standard."
9. Tap the keyboard icon that is in the very top right of the screen. A keyboard should now appear at the bottom.
10. Tap the "F10" button on the keyboard.
11. You will be asked "Save configuration and reset?" Tap "Yes."

Your device will now reboot, and the watermark should be gone. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
That seems to be a simple enough process, but probably anyone using a company phone should let the IT guys sort it out. The really interesting question is "How did it get set wrong in the first place?"

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
That seems to be a simple enough process, but probably anyone using a company phone should let the IT guys sort it out. The really interesting question is "How did it get set wrong in the first place?"

Seems pretty crazy to me as well. Another user just posted a short review video from Tech Crunch in another thread. The preview device in the video had the exact same issue.

twistedreality

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I had to update my BIOS to remove the watermark, followed your directions and on reboot it was still there. Went to the DELL support site on the tablet downloaded the update ran it and after it completed the watermark was gone

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I had to update my BIOS to remove the watermark, followed your directions and on reboot it was still there. Went to the DELL support site on the tablet downloaded the update ran it and after it completed the watermark was gone

I guess both steps are needed then. I will add to the main post.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Is there no way to remove the watermark with SecureBoot disabled?

That is a question you will have to ask MS. I don't believe I have it turned on on my desktop I built and I don't have a watermark. The error sounds more like there is an issue with how it is setup, not if you have it on or off.

madgalaxy

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, use the hotfix I mentioned above. This is something that is not just happening on the Venue 8 Pro - it is effecting many PC users who upgraded. SecureBoot only comes into effect when you install an non-Windows OS to dual boot with Win 8.1. It will prevent non authorized drivers to boot, etc. It does not effect everyday users and I am sure this hotfix will roll out in the next Windows Update patch. More information: "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" message on the desktop - Microsoft Windows Help

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss