Dell Venue 8 Pro Initial Review

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I understand it's installed, but since it's not activated I'm thinking you can use that activation key on another device and remove it from the Venue 8.

Just saying if I have both a Surface Pro 2 and Venue 8, I'd rather use Office on the Surface.

Oh okay. I got you. Well I just looked at the card that contained the code, and my guess is no. It is labeled as this "Windows 8 SmScrn Touch w/H&S 2013." It looks like the code could be for the OS and Office together.

ovrkast

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the awesome review!!!

Do you have a microUSB to USB adapter that you can verify if the Dell Venue will act as a host and recognize flash drives and portable USB drives? I was curiously if it had enough power to utilize those devices. Also, I cannot find anywhere on the web if the Dell uses Gorilla Glass or just hardened glass. If it is hardened glass...do you think it would incur scratches easily by throwing it in and out of a backpack regularly?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the awesome review!!!

Do you have a microUSB to USB adapter that you can verify if the Dell Venue will act as a host and recognize flash drives and portable USB drives? I was curiously if it had enough power to utilize those devices. Also, I cannot find anywhere on the web if the Dell uses Gorilla Glass or just hardened glass. If it is hardened glass...do you think it would incur scratches easily by throwing it in and out of a backpack regularly?

I do not though I plan on getting one. It would seem odd if it can't handle things like a flash drive. Don't expect it to be able to handle portable blu-ray drives or anything like that.

I don't have a clue on the glass though I will look around for an answer.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I do not though I plan on getting one. It would seem odd if it can't handle things like a flash drive. Don't expect it to be able to handle portable blu-ray drives or anything like that.

I don't have a clue on the glass though I will look around for an answer.

The online manual says the micro usb port can be used for things like file transfer with a otg adapter.

TrackSmart

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the first impressions! If you have a moment, I'm really curious to ask a few questions:
- How usable are MS Word and Excel without a keyboard, mouse, or stylus? I figured that a stylus would be a necessity for being productive on an 8" device while on-the-go.
- What happens to desktop applications (non-Metro) when you rotate the tablet? Do the windows automatically "maximize" at the new, rotated resolution and zoom level? What about full-screen apps (e.g. games and movies). I can't imagine how old versions of Windows would have behaved if you suddenly changed the resolution mid-game...

It is great to hear about your real, hands-on experiences. I've been pretty excited about these new 8" Bay Trail devices.

Last edited:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the first impressions! If you have a moment, I'm really curious to ask a few questions:
- How usable are MS Word and Excel without a keyboard, mouse, or stylus? I figured that a stylus would be a necessity for being productive on an 8" device while on-the-go (so you can write like using a pen). For instance, when editing a MS Word document or commenting on a PDF.
- Did they also have the 64 GB version at your local Walmart? And the stylus?
- What happens to desktop applications (non-Metro) when you rotate the tablet? Do the windows automatically "maximize" at the new, rotated resolution and zoom level? What about full-screen apps (e.g. games and movies). I can't imagine how old versions of windows would have behaved if you suddenly changed the resolution mid-game...

It is great to hear about your real, hands-on experiences. I've been pretty excited about these new 8" Bay Trail devices.

Word and Excel are still best with mouse and keyboard. I wouldn't do any large amount of typing without a keyboard. That said, considering it has bluetooth and a functional micro USB port, you can add any keyboard/mouse you desire.

Walmart only had the 32GB version, and no accessories were available. The device wasn't even on the floor yet either. I had to ask for it by name.

I haven't done any full screen games and rotated the screen yet so I can't speak to it. Normal windows would rotate properly, maximized or not. You can flip your desktop's monitor and tell the computer you did and it will rotate properly. Only difference is that your desktop monitor doesn't have the hardware to tell the computer to do it automatically.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
A couple of questions:

1. Why the Venue over the T100? Considering the ASUS option comes with the dock and Office (not sure if the Venue comes with the latter), I'm curious as to what this thing offers over the ASUS solution. Is it just because of the 8-inch display, versus the 10-inch one? Oh, and I don't see a frontal picture of your device, so I wanted to ask--is the Windows key placed along the long or short side? Since it's branded in portrait, I wondered if they oriented the Windows key that way as well.

2. Are you sure this is 32-bit Windows? I saw that they list the Bay Trail as x86-64 architecture, so I thought I'd ask.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
A couple of questions:

1. Why the Venue over the T100? Considering the ASUS option comes with the dock and Office (not sure if the Venue comes with the latter), I'm curious as to what this thing offers over the ASUS solution. Is it just because of the 8-inch display, versus the 10-inch one? Oh, and I don't see a frontal picture of your device, so I wanted to ask--is the Windows key placed along the long or short side? Since it's branded in portrait, I wondered if they oriented the Windows key that way as well.

2. Are you sure this is 32-bit Windows? I saw that they list the Bay Trail as x86-64 architecture, so I thought I'd ask.

1. It has a lot to do with the 8in compared to 10in. Also, because keyboard isn't included, it starts off at a lower price point. Windows key is at the top right edge (short side). It isn't on the front but on the edge. It also comes with Office.

2. It is 32-bit. Bay Trail can handle 32 and 64 bit like pretty much all Intel chips for some time now.

TrackSmart

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! I'm glad to hear that Windows 8.1 handles screen rotation properly - and without drama - though I'm a bit disappointed I can't run out and buy a 64GB model + stylus to try out right now. :grin: It would be pretty tempting given the price and the compact form factor.

Word and Excel are still best with mouse and keyboard. I wouldn't do any large amount of typing without a keyboard.

I suppose I may have unrealistic expectations for this device. I was hoping that the DV8P + Stylus could serve as a reasonable productivity device on my (public transit) commute and when on-the-go. I hear that Windows 8.1 has built in support for handwriting recognition in the virtual keyboard - and that it works pretty well. Of course, there is obviously a difference between "works pretty well" for jotting down a grocery list versus editing a significant document.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! I'm glad to hear that Windows 8.1 handles screen rotation properly - and without drama - though I'm a bit disappointed I can't run out and buy a 64GB model + stylus to try out right now. :grin: It would be pretty tempting given the price and the compact form factor.

I suppose I may have unrealistic expectations for this device. I was hoping that the DV8P + Stylus could serve as a reasonable productivity device on my (public transit) commute and when on-the-go. I hear that Windows 8.1 has built in support for handwriting recognition in the virtual keyboard - and that it works pretty well. Of course, there is obviously a difference between "works pretty well" for jotting down a grocery list versus editing a significant document.

I personally find that I am faster at typing than writing. For this reason alone, a keyboard would be better. That said, when I get the stylus, I hope it works well enough to get my handwriting because it isn't the best!

Last edited:

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't tell you how useful this has been to me! I've been looking into buying a small W8 tablet to replace my dead PlayBook and was considering this. After I read your review, I think I'll wait a little longer.

Thanks!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't tell you how useful this has been to me! I've been looking into buying a small W8 tablet to replace my dead PlayBook and was considering this. After I read your review, I think I'll wait a little longer.

Thanks!

No prob.! Any particular negative for you that you noticed?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Cheers for the review!, especially the fact that you couldnot snap more than two apps if the resolution was below 1080p.. couldn't find that stated anywhere unless I had missed it lol. In terms of minecraft, does survivalcraft have a windows 8 app? I have the wp8 app, it is essentially minecraft but with various additions (doesn't have an online mode) and is geared for touch. Also I'm curious you mentioned an mSD card slot but Dell's spec doesn't state it has an mSD slot :confused:.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Cheers for the review!, especially the fact that you couldnot snap more than two apps if the resolution was below 1080p.. couldn't find that stated anywhere unless I had missed it lol. In terms of minecraft, does survivalcraft have a windows 8 app? I have the wp8 app, it is essentially minecraft but with various additions (doesn't have an online mode) and is geared for touch. Also I'm curious you mentioned an mSD card slot but Dell's spec doesn't state it has an mSD slot :confused:.

It def has a micro sd slot. I own survivalcraft on WP, but it isn't on W8. There might be a different Minecraft clone I don't know about.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It def has a micro sd slot. I own survivalcraft on WP, but it isn't on W8. There might be a different Minecraft clone I don't know about.

Cheers for the reply re survival craft and mSD slot, I don't suppose you have tried Widi / wireless display yet?

Going for the whole wireless set up :p and right now in the market for a tablet as my probook 4730s has started showing signs of old age lol.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Cheers for the reply re survival craft and mSD slot, I don't suppose you have tried Widi / wireless display yet?

Going for the whole wireless set up :p and right now in the market for a tablet as my probook 4730s has started showing signs of old age lol.

I don't even know what the probook 4730 is lol

It supports Miracast, but I don't have a Miracast receiver that I know of...

savingpvtbryan

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Anyone having issues with the brightness of the Venue 8 Pro? When I change it from the charms bar the brightness barely changes between the highest and lowest settings.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyone having issues with the brightness of the Venue 8 Pro? When I change it from the charms bar the brightness barely changes between the highest and lowest settings.

Open charm bar and tap Search. Type Control Panel. Change View By to Small Icons. Tap Power Options. Tap Change Plan Settings that is next to the plan labeled Dell. Tap Change Advanced Power Settings. Tap the plus sign next to Display. Tap the plus sign next to Enable Adaptive Brightness. Disable it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb