Dell Venue 8 Pro Initial Review

TrackSmart

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
All Bay Trail 8" tablets that have been announced all come with Office. This include Asus, Dell, Lenovo and Acer.

Atom based tablet usually comes with small storage size, and being 32-bits OS helps to cut down the OS size. Also, this particular CPU cannot address 4Gb RAM so the advantage of 64-bits OS able to use more than 4Gb RAM is moot.

The processor is 64-bit capable (this is a completely new architecture and not the same as the old Atom processors). The reason all of these new Bay Trail tablets come with the 32-bit version of Windows is because, at present, only the 32-bit version of Windows supports connected standby (a cell-phone-like, always-on mode). Microsoft will be adding this feature to the 64-bit version of Windows in early 2014. I hope this clarifies why these tablets are using the 32-bit version of Windows. But you are right that the 32-bit version of Windows has a somewhat smaller installation size, too.

For MaxHu: Walmart appears to only carry the 32 GB version.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
All Bay Trail 8" tablets that have been announced all come with Office. This include Asus, Dell, Lenovo and Acer.

Atom based tablet usually comes with small storage size, and being 32-bits OS helps to cut down the OS size. Also, this particular CPU cannot address 4Gb RAM so the advantage of 64-bits OS able to use more than 4Gb RAM is moot.

This is not true concerning 32-bit processors and 4GB RAM. PAE has been used to get around this since the days of the Pentium Pro. There are other design reasons why this tablet isn't using a 64-bit Atom.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the kind words! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

i would like to know about the virus threat since its a full windows tablet..have u installed any antivirus like kaspersky or is win 8.1 better protected against such threats? if u have installed any antivirus does it slow down the device?

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
i would like to know about the virus threat since its a full windows tablet..have u installed any antivirus like kaspersky or is win 8.1 better protected against such threats? if u have installed any antivirus does it slow down the device?

The virus threat is the same as full windows. Just treat it as such and make sure to download all security updates regularly.

Windows 8 has some built in protection.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%2Fpc-security%2Fwindows8.aspx&token=lq__TY40

axllebeer

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Great post. I have the 64 GB version coming in the mail soon from Amazon. Really looking forward to my 1st touch windows 8 experience!

Ted#WP

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
Wow!! I just realized Google Chrome running on Desktop mode now supports swipe left and swipe right for page backward and page forward functions.

Didn't use to do that in the past. I did download a few updates from Dell site and Windows a few days ago, not sure which actually contributed to the change.

axllebeer

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. This really is a great device. I got the 64 GB version and very glad I did. Used my printer, flash drives, plugged my BlackBerry into it and I have setup BlackBerry Link so I can access files back and fourth with ease between my Venue, BlackBerry, and Windows 7 machine all wirelessly. This is an awesome combo I have now. VERY happy with this decision!

Also works with my BlackBerry PlayBook mini bluetooth keyboard flawlessly as well as my external 1TB HDD. I just don't know what more I could ask for at this point. Downloaded Chrome and I can mirror it with my Chrome Cast, and I'm still finding new and useful things I can do with it.

Right now I'm study for a promotion for my employer (UPS). They gave me a CD with a training program to use. I ripped it to me Venue with my external DVD/CD Rom and now I can run it right on my tab, no laptop required.

Needless to say, I'm blown away by the functionality of this little gem. Everyone that wants to be productive needs this tablet!

johnnyman82

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
guys can someone pls tell me what temps gest when playing asphalt 8?me after only one race the temps are 67-68-67-69 with hwinfo and the top right is quite hot..thx in advance!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss