Dell Venue 8 Pro accessory thread

booyasaka

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Pics and first impressions would be great. Mine (ordered thru Gambolex US via Amazon) is stuck 'in transit: on schedule'
Said it was shipped on 1/10/14 w/expected delivery 2/5/14 - 2/21/14 ....w/last date of 2/21/14 mentioned as 'by' delivery date.
Did you order from Gambled and did you never get a US tracking # ?
Glad to see someone got their keyboard case at least.
I ordered mine as well from Gambolex US via Amazon. I placed the order Dec. 27 2013. At first I got a tracking number from them and said "shipping from China". So then I checked back in Amazon 2 weeks later and got "We're sorry. We are unable to retrieve tracking information for this shipment at this time." So then I emailed the seller and asked why it's taking so long and eventually gave me a tracking number (USPS) and gave me a delivery estimate date. What's odd is the order still shows as pre-ordered on Amazon but I already got it.

Anyways, first impressions of the case: definitely like the leather feel. Keyboard is also nice. Has a nice little space to rest my palm. It also came with a micro USB cable which I guess is for charging the keyboard. (If only DV8P had a USB port). The keyboard has magnets in the back which clicks nicely to the case. My DV8P also fits nice and secure in the case. The stand is pretty adjustable too, kinda like the Surface 2, although the feels a little cheap and feels like it will break easily because it feels like cardboard. It also has a place for a stylus. Overall, I'm happy with the case. It took a pretty long time to arrive but oh well, at least it's here now. If you have any questions about the case, let me know :)

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I ordered mine as well from Gambolex US via Amazon. I placed the order Dec. 27 2013. At first I got a tracking number from them and said "shipping from China". So then I checked back in Amazon 2 weeks later and got "We're sorry. We are unable to retrieve tracking information for this shipment at this time." So then I emailed the seller and asked why it's taking so long and eventually gave me a tracking number (USPS) and gave me a delivery estimate date. What's odd is the order still shows as pre-ordered on Amazon but I already got it.

Anyways, first impressions of the case: definitely like the leather feel. Keyboard is also nice. Has a nice little space to rest my palm. It also came with a micro USB cable which I guess is for charging the keyboard. (If only DV8P had a USB port). The keyboard has magnets in the back which clicks nicely to the case. My DV8P also fits nice and secure in the case. The stand is pretty adjustable too, kinda like the Surface 2, although the feels a little cheap and feels like it will break easily because it feels like cardboard. It also has a place for a stylus. Overall, I'm happy with the case. It took a pretty long time to arrive but oh well, at least it's here now. If you have any questions about the case, let me know :)

Thank you so much for your quickie review w/pics, really appreciate it.... especially the shipping info ... was starting to get a little worried. Anyway, I ordered on 1/6/14 and got a HK shipping # on the 10th and have been waiting patiently since. I emailed them last night and they responded saying they were sorry for the delay but to give them another 4-5 days. My original promised delivery date has not yet passed so that's fine.... just wish I had a US tracking #. I did ask for one in my recent email to them, so we'll see I guess. It is encouraging that you got yours, so the system seems to be grinding them out, so that's good. Maybe it was the whole Chinese New Year thing that backed things up.

The images look good of the case/keyboard and it looks secure. I was a little concerned about the tablet enclosure inhibiting vertical swiping gestures but the case cutouts look to alleviate that. If the stand becomes an issue then maybe a thin piece of plastic could be slipped into a slit or something. Not worried right now tho. How's the typing on the keyboard? And after some usage, how's the battery life etc? Thanks again for the feed back!

booyasaka

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for your quickie review w/pics, really appreciate it.... especially the shipping info ... was starting to get a little worried. Anyway, I ordered on 1/6/14 and got a HK shipping # on the 10th and have been waiting patiently since. I emailed them last night and they responded saying they were sorry for the delay but to give them another 4-5 days. My original promised delivery date has not yet passed so that's fine.... just wish I had a US tracking #. I did ask for one in my recent email to them, so we'll see I guess. It is encouraging that you got yours, so the system seems to be grinding them out, so that's good. Maybe it was the whole Chinese New Year thing that backed things up.

The images look good of the case/keyboard and it looks secure. I was a little concerned about the tablet enclosure inhibiting vertical swiping gestures but the case cutouts look to alleviate that. If the stand becomes an issue then maybe a thin piece of plastic could be slipped into a slit or something. Not worried right now tho. How's the typing on the keyboard? And after some usage, how's the battery life etc? Thanks again for the feed back!
Typing is pretty good, its responsive and it automatically connects when I wake up my tablet. Just trying to get used to the typing since I never used such a small keyboard. Battery life is good so far. I've had it for 3 days now and with moderate use. I haven't charged it since I got it and it's been on the ON switch. One thing to add about to kickstand, the lock/adjustment mechanism gets a little annoying. I wish it was just a simple open/close thing but everytime I have to close the stand I have to feel around or look to adjust the little ting that holds it up.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
2/04/14
Update on IVSO keyboard case from Gambolex via Amazon...
UPS delivered it today unexpectedly....never did receive a UPS tracking number from Gambolex, tho there obviously is one on the UPS package. The delivery date was within the emailed timeframe response when I inquired about status from Gambolex. They did respond via email promptly at that one time I inquired. And the delivery today was at the front-end of the timeframe from Hong Kong when first ordered...so Gambolex did deliver as advertised/promised. But no tracking # was a bit off putting during the wait.

The keyboard case is as nice as Booyasaka describes above....nicely finished and not shoddy or cheap in any way. The dvp8 fits snugly in the holder and is secured by a flap that folds inside/under the case onto Velcro for a secure enclosure...so it's not going anywhere but yet is easily removed when desired. The documentation is extremely limited...basically just instructions on how to pair it to Bluetooth....which went very smoothly. Keyboard is very light and held securely in place by a magnet in case base. Typing is good....no repeat keystroking when done with this keyboard! Still getting used to the small form factor but it's coming along. I get Booyasaka's comment about the support tab at the back....am having to work at it...ie more time than just flipping closed as it should be. There is a magnet that the support holder clicks onto, so that's nice. No feedback on the battery yet....and no documentation on it either...ie does it notify you by light or something when the battery is low?...and haven't had to charge it yet so don't know if it notifies (by light?) when it's charged either. Wish there was a bit more documentation from the manufacturer on that. But so far, very happy with it and it serves by needs very well. One last thing, the case fits very well and provides very nice padding and protection for the tablet. Very professional in appearance. Am glad the wait proved worth while.

Hope this is helpful to others looking at getting this keyboard case.
==========================================

info update 2/06/14
So there's battery/charging info on the product box (duh)
- Built-in Lithium polymer battery - capacity 200mAh
- Input : Micro USB charge 5V
- Keyboard standby time: 30 days approx.
- Continual working time: 20H
- Charging time: 2H

Keyboard info
- Removable 3.0 ABS keyboard
- Keyboard dim: L= 22.5cm x W=15.5cm x H=3.5cm
- Keyboard weight: 438g
- working distance 10m

Additional: when plugged-in to charge there is a red light indicator. And it appears there are 5 possible lights locs upon close exam (already known blue 'pairing' light)...so likely upon full charge there will be some kind of light indication...my guess anyway.
- Operating temp: -5C to 45C

Last edited:

booyasaka

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Glad to know you've received your keyboard. The battery for the keyboard is still holding up for me after 5 days of moderate use. I have yet to charge it. I wonder as well how it will notify me when battery is low. The only light I've seen is the Bluetooth light flashing when trying to connect. I'll post an update if I see a different indicator light if battery is low.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
One more thing I forgot to add...
The IVSO keyboard case is rock solid when placed on a wood/granite/tile surface. And the keyboard connection is solid to the case as well. There is no jiggling....at all. On a wood table surface the case feels glued to the surface, which for me only adds to the quality feel and of course to productivity. On a metal or glass surface there is some slight slippage...but on wood or ceramic....rock solid. Not sure on why that is...maybe the PU leather textured finish?....or the kickstand which significantly helps in preventing movement. Likely a combination of both.

One other thing to mention relating more so to all Bluetooth devices + dv8p (ie conserving dv8p battery)...is this tutorial from the Eight Forums on creating Desktop/Taskbar/Start shortcuts directly to the W8.1 Bluetooth settings page for much easier toggling on and off the dv8p Bluetooth power.

Bluetooth Devices Shortcut - Create in Windows 8
The shortcuts presented include to either/both of the Bluetooth settings in the PC Settings location or the Bluetooth Devices in Ctrl panel location.

Mike_Milacek

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I just got this one: Amazon.com : Poetic Slimline Case for Dell Venue 8 Pro Black (3 Years Manufacturer Warranty from Poetic) : Computers & Accessories

I'm very happy with it. I also have the Amazon.com: IVSO Slim Smart Cover Case for Dell Venue 8 Pro (Windows 8.1) Tablet, Only fit DELL Venue 8 Pro windows 8.1 tablet (Black): Computers & Accessories

I like the Poetic Slimline Case is better. It is a better build and nicer feel. It's more stable when standing and does not have the metal part on the cover. Cost a little more but worth it.

20140209_205012028_iOS.jpg

20140209_205051605_iOS.jpg

20140209_205111306_iOS.jpg

20140209_205127324_iOS.jpg

20140209_205446006_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20140209_205012028_iOS.jpg
    20140209_205012028_iOS.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 11

chrisevans937

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for a good Bluetooth keyboard with a track pad so I don't have to carry around a mouse. Got some games loaded up on the dv8p that requires a mouse and keyboard

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I ended up getting this case. Much nicer in person than the price implies and I like that the tablet snaps into the case rather than being held by a sleeve so as not to obstruct the bezel. No stylus loop, but I can deal with it. The magnets that hold the flap closed and keep it in position when folded into a stand are VERY strong, I have a high level of confidence that they won't slip. Overall very happy for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GP...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2400773

EDIT: I see someone already posted about this case. My bad for not going back through the thread to see what was already there, LOL. Still a nice case nonetheless.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Quick question - I've noticed that some of these cases tout having an automatic sleep/wake smart cover function, but I've also heard that the DV8P doesn't support this function with any cover. Can someone to confirm which is true?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

David Rittenhouse

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Quick question - I've noticed that some of these cases tout having an automatic sleep/wake smart cover function, but I've also heard that the DV8P doesn't support this function with any cover. Can someone to confirm which is true?
To the best of my knowledge, the V8P does not have the sensors which would allow the sleep/wake function of a cover.

And I too like the IVSO case.

Last edited:

ankit_5036

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
In india, I got dell case for free with the purchase of DV8P 64GB under "back to college" offer.
I have purchased memory card of 32 GB samsung pro evo
Screen protector
and Wacom Bamboo Stylus.
as of now, bamboo stylus doesn't work with DV8P, so I don't suggest you to go for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss