Touch sensitivity issues

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else been experiencing touch issues on the V8P? I find it has gotten worse over time, even after a restart. It's gotten to the point that I can't even get through my own picture password without it misinterpreting a swipe as multiple taps, and it doesn't appear to be localized to one region of the screen.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else been experiencing touch issues on the V8P? I find it has gotten worse over time, even after a restart. It's gotten to the point that I can't even get through my own picture password without it misinterpreting a swipe as multiple taps, and it doesn't appear to be localized to one region of the screen.

Yes I have. I also see multiple key presses a lot. Seems to happen more so on the right side of the onscreen keyboard.

nthknd

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Someone posted that there is a update as of 1/2/14 for the touch panel I believe . I don't understand why my system never let's me know of an update. The system analyzer doesn't even tell me what I need to update that I haven't already....is there something I'm missing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah there is something about the Dell update utility that just doesn't seem to work correctly.

From other forums it seems like the update fixed most issues people were having with the sensitivity of the screen and also made the active stylus work much better. Dell lists the update as "Urgent" so definitely one people want to install.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the multiple key press issue (which might be separate from a general touch screen issue as the OP might be having...)

There are a few places to tweak the keyboard response:
Options are at either the first or second locations below...

#1 - My Dell | Checkup | System Tools | Keyboard Properties .. or ... alternately from: Control Panel (use icon choices to see all items) | Keyboard | Keyboard Properties
There are 'Character repeat' sliders to tweak. However in my attempts, I saw no change in any use of the Onscreen keyboards (could be user error on my part)

#2 - Settings | Change PC Settings | Ease of Access | Keyboard
Choose to turn on filter keys (ignore brief or repeated key strokes). I did this and there was a significant improvement/reduction in the repetitive key responses for me YMMV
Additionally or alternatively accessing the keyboard settings thru the Control Panel | Ease of Access Center | Make the keyboard easier to use (adjust settings for the keyboard) | Make it easier to type | Turn on filter keys
There is an option to 'set up filter keys', which allows more precise tweaking. I did not do anything here as the first option to simply turn on the filter keys was enough in my case.

======================
Edit to add
As per my post further down, there is a s/w bug associated with the turning on of the 'filter keys'...which disables the 'physical' Windows button on the DV8P. So at the current time, I do NOT recommend enabling the 'filter keys' to alleviate the repeated keystroke issue. Sorry for any inconveniences this might have caused anyone. Hopefully Dell will resolve this conflict at some point.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
@everyone who's planning on doing the above ^^^ and who also own another Windows 8.1 device with sync settings enabled

After enabling the filter keys option on my DV8P, the settings synced to my MSI GT60 running 8.1 almost instantaneously, after that all button presses on my laptop keyboard made a click sound without making any inputs. Luckily I realized that I had my sync settings ON on my DV8P which caused this to happen. Either way...just wanted to put this out there so people don't start freaking out....!

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
(1/09/14)
Heads up! - Regarding my post above, suggesting the turning on of 'filter keys'...
Besides the side issues of syncing to other W8 PCs, there is an s/w bug apparently that turning on the 'filter keys' does as well...
It disables the 'physical' Windows button on the DV8P. So until this s/w bug is resolved by Dell, I would not enable the 'filter keys' (it's off by default) to assist in alleviating the repeated key strokes issue. Not sure if the 'filter keys' are conflicting with other functions in DV8P or not.
Thanks to Agonzalez1010 over at Dell Window Mobile Products forum for figuring this out.

Edit to add...
Disabling the 'filter keys' selection has also seemed to resolve an issue for me with the 'Auto Adjust' of the Brightness settings which was causing brightness levels to adjust seemingly every 30 secs or so for no apparent reason. So that is also now resolved (for me) by reverting my 'filter keys' setting to off(default). So that 'filter keys' setting has some issues...caveat emptor.

Last edited:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Yep. I've had my DV8PP since Monday 1-13-14 and it is almost to the point of being unusable in these forums. The auto correct is catching some of the. double. Taps. But as you can see,, there are still alot of mistakes. I'm. Not correcting these on purpose so we can see the results.

Also have to add the. scrolling issue.. trying to scroll up and down the page registers as me trying to zoom in or out, with one finger!?

Last edited:

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Just started noticing similar issues. I updated with the urgent download around the 5th, but didn't start seeing keyboard issues with it until this week. I also notice in Reddit To Go, after a few minutes of use, it starts registering scrolls as tapping. Didn't know if it's the app or the screen causing that, but I'm starting to think it may be the app.

UWbadgers16

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Just started noticing similar issues. I updated with the urgent download around the 5th, but didn't start seeing keyboard issues with it until this week. I also notice in Reddit To Go, after a few minutes of use, it starts registering scrolls as tapping. Didn't know if it's the app or the screen causing that, but I'm starting to think it may be the app.

It's not the app. At least I very much doubt it's the app.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I really want to keep this tablet but the inconsistent touch is getting harder an harder to overlook.
Have you installed the latest BIOS update and the new touch screen drivers? I've got everything up to date and find the touch experience is flawless on my device, so I wonder if you should contact Dell and arrange for a replacement?

nthknd

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Same here...tapping issues and also wifi issues. Will go into airplane mode and then never come out. Have reset the tablet twice. Going back to amazon when I get home from vacation. Now have a few accessories I don't need. I should have waited but before I bought them but really wanted to like this tablet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

tyshone1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Have you installed the latest BIOS update and the new touch screen drivers? I've got everything up to date and find the touch experience is flawless on my device, so I wonder if you should contact Dell and arrange for a replacement?

Although this is my first Windows tablet, I have been supporting computers and networks for a very long time and have at one point owned just about every tablet brand out there. I treat the DELL Venue 8 as I would any desktop\laptop so I have installed the latest drivers and BIOS with no luck. To be fair, most of my touch problems occur in IE. All other applications appear to be more stable. I was hoping to use this device to aide with network support while on the go, but the inconsistent touch ruins the experience. I might reach out to Dell before making the decision to jump ship. Hopefully they can resolve the issue.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

The problem I see with the updates, is they don't roll off the update page once I apply that update.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I had Amazon send me a replacement because of the touch sensitivity issues and sure enough, same damn thing with the new one. I have 3 V8Ps in my possession and all 3 have the issue. And now all 3 are being sent back to Amazon.

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Typing this on the demo Dell Venue 8 Pro at the Microsoft Store at the Westfield Mall in San Francisco and cannot replicate touch sensitivity issues as seen on my device and many others... lol

By the way, this was all typed with very little editing. No "accidental" double-taps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12